Range Rover Velar Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning all,

Finally picked my fully spec'd P380 HSE up on Saturday after long delays ( apparently due to my engine choice ).

2 bugs found so far. The 1st is that the media centre seems to switch itself on when a paired phone disconnects. My phone ( google pixel xl) ran out of juice and shutdown, the audio in the car was off at the time but switched itself on when the phone disconnected. That can't be by design.

The 2nd bug seems appears to be wifi related. My car connects to my home wifi when in the garage, signal not the greatest in the garage so I switch on the hotspot on my phone ( it has exact some details & passwords as my home network ) and car doesn't seem to want to switch to the stronger access point.

Otherwise all is rather lovely.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Congrats to your new Velar.

I don't consider both observations as bugs.

1. When the connection is cut the attached device, here the Velar, is aware and gets on. The same happens when a mobile phone is detached from a computer. The mobile phone gets on to show the connection change and gives a possibility to the owner to react. That is by design. How would you otherwise notice a malfunction of the connection. The Velar just sees a network connection is closed, in this case a bluetooth connection. To show you this, it switches on. It can't difference between a disconnection by purpose or not.

2. If there are two networks with the same settings, the network device will only switch to the next stronger one in car the connection of the first gets cut off. It will not switch to the stronger network when is very weak for a period of time. This behaviour is wide spread and not a bug. S reason can be seen in the fact, that the weak network is still delivering data. There is no such function as search for other networks when the signal becomes weak. It's works like, if network is cut off search for the next best. Cellular networks work different then Wifi networks that are usually used stationary.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Also, with regards to the WiFi connection, even if your iPhone hotspot has the same "name" and password, they will have different MAC addresses I believe, so your car will still recognise them as different.

However if you have previously connected to both manually, then I would expect the connection to be automatic in future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
79 Posts
On the first point I would guess, that the state change as such is triggering the Velar and for thus waking up the screen. What is from your perspective the negative impact here?

The second point is known as "sticky client" and is not a bug but how WiFi is implemented. So either you make sure the signal of the home WiFi is no longer visible in your garage or much better visible. Alternative could be to define a different SSID on the phone to connect the car or as Joe wrote to add a SIM card to your Velar.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interesting lot of opinion on this..

Re point 1, I disagree, it is most definitely a bug. If I choose to not have music on and my phone runs out of battery the car should then not switch the dab radio on and start playing radio 6 music. That's not by design, that's a bug.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts