Range Rover Velar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I traded in my 2010 Range Rover Sport for the Velar First Edition a few days ago. I was waiting for the 2018 Sport with facelift and was thinking about the SVR but after looking at how the L494 got a little bigger than the old RR Sport I'm not sure it would fit in my garage. It was already hard to get the doors open although the side steps helped a lot. I need a new house! Anyway considering that the width and length of the Velar was nearly identical to my old 2010 Sport I knew it would fit. I bought my old car new and kept it for 7 years and it was definitely time for a change. I'll be honest as well in saying that the L494 Sport never really grabbed me design wise except for the SVR version with the much improved rear bumper and exhaust. I think this Velar will tide me over until the next generation Sport is released.

First impressions -- I absolutely love the design. Feels right for me and my small family. Definitely more "car like" with the lower ride height but handling is excellent and there is much less body roll which is not a bad thing. The difference between the V6 and my old V8 is noticeable, particularly the smaller amount of torque. My Sport was a bit quicker off the line in the lower gears but this Velar is definitely much faster overall with this 5.3 second 0-60 time. I'm honestly not obsessed with the speed and sports car performance or I would have bought one, or at least a Turbo Macan. I'd rather have the luxury and design of the Velar and it's fast enough. It really is a great combination of properties. Design, comfort, luxury and performance. All the tech is fantastic and LR have definitely stepped up their game here and have been very innovative here. Love the HUD and have been using the paddle shifters on the highway. It's nice to see what gear you're in from the HUD. I had a 2005 Audi S4 with paddle shifters and I would sort of memorize what gear I was in as I hated having to look down at the dash. And then I just stopped using them. But on nice roads I like shifting myself. Must be a mental leftover from 25 years of manual autos. Otherwise the S mode and dynamic is quite good. Only getting about 15mpg which is a bit surprising as my V8 was the same, but I'm not exactly babying it. Not pushing it hard either as I do follow the break in recommendations and always have.

I sort of wish the engine and exhaust had a nice throaty growl like my wife's Audi SQ5 but not really a big deal. It's quiet and comfortable! Overall, I'm absolutely thrilled and loving it. So we've all seen the First Edition in Corris Grey... but real world pics are sometimes nice to see instead of studio shots. So here are a few.

Wheel Car Vehicle Tire Automotive lighting

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Automotive side marker light

Car Vehicle Land vehicle Wheel Grille

Gear shift Vehicle Car Speedometer Automotive design

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
Lovely! Apart from the engine, its my own car parked outside here in London. I have the D300. 15mpg wow...who needs that at our fuel prices!
You probably know you can lower and raise the HUD and configure the information coming to it. I notice that your rear number plates don't mimic the space created by the design but, there again, you don't have to add on a front one. Looks sleek from that angle. I have my seat lowered as much as it can go, but after 4 weeks I'm still tweaking how I like the wheel set. I'll get there in the end. Corris grey is perfect for here, but I'd love the sun to shine a bit more because on a bright day it really suits this car. Makes it look a bit smaller, and less conspicuous. I like that as I otherwise hate the attention it generates.

I never use the paddle shifters, never have on any car, but the sport setting works well, particularly overtaking on minor roads. When parked, as it is in your top picture, the car settles into its lowest suspension setting. Unfortunately it rises when you are driving (in any mode) so it doesn't look quite so stealthy when moving along the road. On the FE, in off-road guise, it raises itself comically and even has an extra high setting if you get stuck on any ruts, or small ridges. And it automatically senses changes in the road surface. Very clever indeed! As I've got more confident I've noticed I can really fling it around bends, at speed. It grips well for a monster like this. And the lights, at night, reach out 500m when they are set to full beam and you are ravelling over 50mph (or is it Kph?). In Dynamic mode the ambient lighting inside will only glow red, but in other driving modes you can configure your favourite colour. The effect is very cool. I can't understand the decision to provide the cheap plastics on the lower half of the doors, or not to provide rear seat releases (on a FE!!!) in the luggage compartment but, there again, the overall spec is amazing. I haven't fitted my new SIM yet, to get full connectivity, although having this will only add to the huge number of functions which, frankly, would be dangerous to use while on the move (without a passenger to help you).

So, after a month's ownership I'm, like you, pretty pleased. Touch wood I have had no faults yet and soon Ill go back for the free Tech Revision session at my dealer; and sign up for the free off-road experience LR offer here in the UK. Will it be a keeper? I hope so. The only thing which will tempt me away might be the new model RR Sport next year or possibly a new RS6 Avant, but that's some way off. Actually, Ive promised myself I'll switch to electric next time so maybe this will be my last regular aspirated car. We shall see.

Enjoy your vehicle and know that, compared to every other driver on the road, you are driving the newest, sleekest, most head-turning kid on the block! And will be for many months to come.

Well, apart from the Porsche Panamera Sport Turismo. Agh!!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just for the record my D300 did over 430 miles on its first tank so it's not all bad news in rural Norfolk.

The SIM connectivity gives access to RTTI which in its own right is worth while and doesn't add any danger. I really don't like in control apps and have given up on Spotify. Much prefer to use the iPhone music on shuffle. There is no doubt you could become over reliant on information whilst driving so a big dose of self discipline is essential

I don't find the voice control to be anything like as good as a BMW system of 3 years ago where I could simply drill down to a individual music track, am I missing something?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the comments everyone.

Lancer -- here in California we are actually supposed to mount the front license plate but many people don't bother and risk getting a ticket while parked. I've received one in 17 years and I'm fine with risking the tickets to keep the front nice and clean looking. Our department of motor vehicles will mail me my new plate for the rear.

I have to say I've upgraded my overall opinion of the Velar after almost a week of ownership. I went for a really great drive yesterday down some twisty roads by the ocean and had a blast. It really is fun to drive especially at higher speeds. I mentioned earlier how I missed the higher ride height of my old RR Sport but perhaps being lower and more car like and with the great handling this Velar might be more "engaging" on the winding roads. I don't know but I like it. One thing the Sport does is shield you from feeling the speed you're going.

I'm finding the parking aids and 360 cameras a bit clumsy to use. For example, you can use the overhead 360 view while in D but as soon as you put it in reverse the rear view takes over so you can't really do any back and forth in a spot while staying in the overhead view. And switching the other camera views is pretty slow on the upper touchscreen. I tried the parallel parking assist and it worked perfectly however. Also even though I have the "auto access height" selected it doesn't seem to lower when I put it in park. Unless it won't do it while in Dynamic or if auto start/stop is turned off. I need to play with all the settings a bit more.

But yes, this is one very special Land Rover!!!

Lancer said:
Lovely! Apart from the engine, its my own car parked outside here in London. I have the D300. 15mpg wow...who needs that at our fuel prices!
You probably know you can lower and raise the HUD and configure the information coming to it. I notice that your rear number plates don't mimic the space created by the design but, there again, you don't have to add on a front one. Looks sleek from that angle. I have my seat lowered as much as it can go, but after 4 weeks I'm still tweaking how I like the wheel set. I'll get there in the end. Corris grey is perfect for here, but I'd love the sun to shine a bit more because on a bright day it really suits this car. Makes it look a bit smaller, and less conspicuous. I like that as I otherwise hate the attention it generates.

I never use the paddle shifters, never have on any car, but the sport setting works well, particularly overtaking on minor roads. When parked, as it is in your top picture, the car settles into its lowest suspension setting. Unfortunately it rises when you are driving (in any mode) so it doesn't look quite so stealthy when moving along the road. On the FE, in off-road guise, it raises itself comically and even has an extra high setting if you get stuck on any ruts, or small ridges. And it automatically senses changes in the road surface. Very clever indeed! As I've got more confident I've noticed I can really fling it around bends, at speed. It grips well for a monster like this. And the lights, at night, reach out 500m when they are set to full beam and you are ravelling over 50mph (or is it Kph?). In Dynamic mode the ambient lighting inside will only glow red, but in other driving modes you can configure your favourite colour. The effect is very cool. I can't understand the decision to provide the cheap plastics on the lower half of the doors, or not to provide rear seat releases (on a FE!!!) in the luggage compartment but, there again, the overall spec is amazing. I haven't fitted my new SIM yet, to get full connectivity, although having this will only add to the huge number of functions which, frankly, would be dangerous to use while on the move (without a passenger to help you).

So, after a month's ownership I'm, like you, pretty pleased. Touch wood I have had no faults yet and soon Ill go back for the free Tech Revision session at my dealer; and sign up for the free off-road experience LR offer here in the UK. Will it be a keeper? I hope so. The only thing which will tempt me away might be the new model RR Sport next year or possibly a new RS6 Avant, but that's some way off. Actually, Ive promised myself I'll switch to electric next time so maybe this will be my last regular aspirated car. We shall see.

Enjoy your vehicle and know that, compared to every other driver on the road, you are driving the newest, sleekest, most head-turning kid on the block! And will be for many months to come.

Well, apart from the Porsche Panamera Sport Turismo. Agh!!!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Perhaps switch off the auto height thing and just leave it in dynamic or comfort. That will put into the lowest height setting when you park, and want to admire your hard work! Mine seems to revert to Comfort when I start a new journey but thats because I haven't configured it to stay in Dynamic I guess. I dont mind because on a motorway I put it into Eco anyway, to save fuel. Fascinating that the Discovery Sport is in fact higher than the Velar, and parked next to the Evoque and RRS (say in a showroom) the Velar jusssst manages to look their middle brother in terms of size.

The FE we have has so many options, half of which Im sure I haven't found yet. I haven't used the Park Assist thing yet; you are a brave man!

Im already guessing that the new model RRS, which will surely mimic the Velar in style, will tug at my coat strings as soon as I see it! Agh.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks RRSman, er sorry I meant VelarMan! :) I read all of your reviews and comments on that other website and I was actually someone that bashed the Velar for the lower height. But obviously I changed my mind and ultimately agreed with all of your positive opinions. I love this thing!

Took a quick snap while walking back to my car this evening. After having Santorini Black for 7 years it's refreshing to me to have a clean looking car after a week without a wash. I'll also enjoy not having to fight the war on swirl marks (except for the gloss black window pillars).

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Window

VelarMan said:
Lovely car - a man with similar taste :D

I actually think the Velar looks better with a front plate as it breaks up the bulky front look.

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Have you seen this spy shot of the front of the 2018 Sport? The headlights and grill are definitely Velar like. The rear lower bumper is as well.

Car Land vehicle Vehicle Grille Wheel

I think I'm going to try to wait for the next gen Sport sometime around 2021/22 if I can hold out that long. There is also a Velar SVR on the way too. That might be interesting.

Lancer said:
Perhaps switch off the auto height thing and just leave it in dynamic or comfort. That will put into the lowest height setting when you park, and want to admire your hard work! Mine seems to revert to Comfort when I start a new journey but thats because I haven't configured it to stay in Dynamic I guess. I dont mind because on a motorway I put it into Eco anyway, to save fuel. Fascinating that the Discovery Sport is in fact higher than the Velar, and parked next to the Evoque and RRS (say in a showroom) the Velar jusssst manages to look their middle brother in terms of size.

The FE we have has so many options, half of which Im sure I haven't found yet. I haven't used the Park Assist thing yet; you are a brave man!

Im already guessing that the new model RRS, which will surely mimic the Velar in style, will tug at my coat strings as soon as I see it! Agh.

Attachments

·
Registered
727 Posts
andrewhargreaves said:
Thanks RRSman, er sorry I meant VelarMan! :) I read all of your reviews and comments on that other website and I was actually someone that bashed the Velar for the lower height. But obviously I changed my mind and ultimately agreed with all of your positive opinions. I love this thing!

Took a quick snap while walking back to my car this evening. After having Santorini Black for 7 years it's refreshing to me to have a clean looking car after a week without a wash. I'll also enjoy not having to fight the war on swirl marks (except for the gloss black window pillars).

IMG_3062.jpg

VelarMan said:
Lovely car - a man with similar taste :D

I actually think the Velar looks better with a front plate as it breaks up the bulky front look.
:lol: :lol: It is actually borderline ridiculous how that lot on the RRS forums ridicule the Velar. Most have never even seen one in the flesh let alone driven one and all they do is talk about how rubbish it is :D Those that have driven it do like it a lot and some so much so that they go and buy a First Edition tut tut :p :p :p

Great choice - now you know why I think it's a better car than the RRS. I'm sure the new RRS will be something special but it still won't have these cool door handles :lol:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes I agree much of the criticism was unwarranted, and you were correct about how special this vehicle is. I think you said this previously -- that perhaps Land Rover hasn't marketed the Velar properly with repeated comments about how "it fits in between the Evoque and Sport". It does when you look at pricing and physically lined them all up together. But Sport owners and enthusiasts (like myself) would naturally assume it's not as good as a Sport and maybe it's just a nicer Evoque. When really it's more of a physically smaller Sport. Yes it shares much of the F-Pace platform whereas the Sport shares the full size platform. But for the driving experience that doesn't really matter. The Velar can be had with the same P380 V6 as the Sport, the Velar's interior is newer and more up to date, and the exterior has LR's fresh design language. An entry level Sport looks pretty boring in comparison but has more utility and off road ability which hardly anyone takes advantage of. Anyway all things considered, this Velar is the right vehicle for my 3 person family and I just can't get over how beautiful it is.

VelarMan said:
:lol: :lol: It is actually borderline ridiculous how that lot on the RRS forums ridicule the Velar. Most have never even seen one in the flesh let alone driven one and all they do is talk about how rubbish it is :D Those that have driven it do like it a lot and some so much so that they go and buy a First Edition tut tut :p :p :p

Great choice - now you know why I think it's a better car than the RRS. I'm sure the new RRS will be something special but it still won't have these cool door handles :lol:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
VelarMan said:
Spot on buddy! Now get on to RRS forums and let them know how good it is...think you'll agree I need some company fending off the haters :D
Ha will do.

Unrelated - was parked beside a Sport. I liked making a visual comparison. Definitely smaller but not as much as I thought.

Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I collected my Velar (D240, HSE in Byron Blue) from Marshalls of Peterborough only two days ago and can honestly say it's more than lived up to my very high expectations. The hand over from Marshalls was excellent and I've enjoyed a long drive from the UK through Holland and into Germany. I agree with the comments about the Velar being more car like, with excellent handling and little body roll. The cabin is such a good place to spend time. In my opinion the 2.0 litre diesel (240HP) provides an excellent balance between economy and power. I'm genuinely thrilled with my Velar and can't stop smiling.

·
Registered
10 Posts
CBM said:
I collected my Velar (D240, HSE in Byron Blue) from Marshalls of Peterborough only two days ago and can honestly say it's more than lived up to my very high expectations. The hand over from Marshalls was excellent and I've enjoyed a long drive from the UK through Holland and into Germany. I agree with the comments about the Velar being more car like, with excellent handling and little body roll. The cabin is such a good place to spend time. In my opinion the 2.0 litre diesel (240HP) provides an excellent balance between economy and power. I'm genuinely thrilled with my Velar and can't stop smiling.
CBM,

I'm looking at the Byron Blue myself and would love to see pictures of yours when you're able. Thanks!!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts