Range Rover Velar Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This Christmas we're off to the Arctic - all the way up to Nordkapp, at the top of Norway. Essentially as far north as you can go by road, in Europe anyway.

We did this trip 2 years ago in an Evoque, 'only' as far as Tromso, Nordkapp is another days driving.

The Evoque performed admirably, the only issue was snow collecting and compacting in the arches. I hope the Velar doesn't suffer the same issue, but it seems to be fairly common.

As far as the rest of the trip goes, we'll be experiencing temperatures down to about -20c. Are there any particular issues the Velar might have?

I look forward to to sharing a full report of our adventures with you in the new year.

You can follow us here:

Dan

·
Registered
61 Posts
I’d love to do that. Have you checked out Harry’s garage video when he did that in his 1969 rolls, if that can make it surely a velar can

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi
Typical winter temperature. The lowest temperature for me with Velar is -34 Celsius.
How to prepare: I use silicone spray for the door handle mechanism. That would be the only pointer which is Velar specific.
Same silicone spray for door seals is common sense for all cars in low temperatures. And higher than usual pressure in tyres. Remember that pressure drops 0,1 bar for each 10 degree temperature drop. I currently run with 2.8 bar in +4 for light load and don´t need to go inflate for -20 Celsius.
Winter wiper position is super to get blades melted.
And then basics: Winter/Arctic Diesel not Regular. Regular has -18 Celsius limit at least here in Finland.... and strong washer fluid.
Have fun!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi
Typical winter temperature. The lowest temperature for me with Velar is -34 Celsius.
How to prepare: I use silicone spray for the door handle mechanism. That would be the only pointer which is Velar specific.
Same silicone spray for door seals is common sense for all cars in low temperatures. And higher than usual pressure in tyres. Remember that pressure drops 0,1 bar for each 10 degree temperature drop. I currently run with 2.8 bar in +4 for light load and don´t need to go inflate for -20 Celsius.
Winter wiper position is super to get blades melted.
And then basics: Winter/Arctic Diesel not Regular. Regular has -18 Celsius limit at least here in Finland.... and strong washer fluid.
Have fun!
Absolutely brilliant info, I apply silicon to the door seals throughout winter as standard, I never thought about it in the door handles.

Do you get much of a problem with the wheel arches clogging up with snow? The Evoque was a nightmare for it.

Dan

·
Registered
20 Posts
Absolutely brilliant info, I apply silicon to the door seals throughout winter as standard, I never thought about it in the door handles.

Do you get much of a problem with the wheel arches clogging up with snow? The Evoque was a nightmare for it.

Dan
Depends on weather.
Happens with all cars usually just below zero and heavy snow.
Seldom in low temperatures unless rookie mistake is made and car stays indoors for awhile and begins to melt but start to collect extra layer of snow and then freezes to a solid block.
Air suspension adds an extra twist...
I usually raise air suspension to off road mode before exiting car to prevent squeezing when car is lowering to park mode, then remove snow with snow brush scraper.
I had mud flaps in previous (FPace) which were super useful. Gentle kick released large block.
One item I missed earlier... make sure that Your battery is in good condition. Very important. I have installed a fixed charger.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts