Range Rover Velar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks,

I hope your day has gone well. My latest post may be useful for anyone considering a Velar, especially the comparison I will draw between our V6 D300 and the latest courtesy car we have been given - a D240 S Velar.

But, before I begin in earnest, please allow me one indulgence. This is our ninth car during 2017. Yes, you have read that correctly - we have spent more time driving JLR courtesy cars than ones we have owned ourselves. You might initially conclude that this represents good value for money but, as we approach the year-end, I can tell you that we are getting somewhat tired of it all now.

This year's cars have been:

1. Volvo XC60 R-design Lux (we owned this one and part-ex'd it for the next car);
2. Jaguar F-Pace 3.0d V6 S bought on 4 March, having waited 12mths, and rejected due to driveshaft noise that JLR couldn't fix;
3. Jaguar F-Pace 3.0d V6 S, courtesy car from dealer demonstrator fleet. Six weeks, including trip to Isle of Skye;
4. Jaguar XJ 3.0d V6, JLR long-term loan car while we waited for our RR Velar to arrive. About four months including French Alps;
5. Range Rover Velar D300 R-dynamic V6 S - we took delivery of this on 23 September having specced it exactly to our requirements;
6. Jaguar XE. Just for the day when we our Velar went into the workshop for the very same issue we have had on the earlier F-Pace, the noisy driveshaft and wheel bearing cyclic noise;
7. Range Rover Velar D300 R-dynamic V6 HSE, demonstrator provided as a courtesy car from Jaguar XE for about a week, and
8. Range Rover Velar D240 S, Sales Manager's car provided as a courtesy car because the dealer needed the previous Velar back to compare with our own car for sound comparison. It was almost of identical specification.
9. Somewhere near the beginning of all this, Mrs A says she had another Jaguar XE but we can't remember quite when as it's all becoming a blur.

Forgive me, but cars become a bit meh, when you just keep swapping them over every five minutes. Okay, back to the review.

Velar D240 S
This is an interesting car. Delivered to our door last night by one of the dealer's retired team of drivers. It's white, sunroof, 21" wheels, air suspension but not much else. I had a trip planned down the A68 to Jedburgh last night. It enabled me to do a straight comparison with the other two D300 Velars.

Positives
The engine! This was a real surprise TBH. It's pretty quiet and has plenty of torque. In fact, most of the time it has all you could reasonably want especially at lower speeds when pulling away. There were three adults in the car but no luggage. I was impressed. This is a 4cyl, 2litre engine. Neat...... almost. In the 50 - 70mph acceleration zone it's decent but not a patch on the V6 diesel. In simple terms, you need to plan that overtaking manoeuvre more carefully as, even in dynamic mode and sport gearbox setting, you are on the wrong side of the road for far longer than the D300. Otherwise, it's a good unit. What noise it does make is actually quite pleasant. The last time I drove a JLR Ingenium diesel 4cyl car it was in an F-Pace with the 180bhp output and I wasn't hugely impressed. The D240 is good.

And the engine delivers a bonus for the driver. It's light up front compared to the trusty but old V6. That means the car feel far more agile and alive. I can really feel the difference between the two Velars with the D300 lump up front and the newer, lighter Ingenium model. It's significant not marginal.

There was a moment yesterday evening when I asked myself whether the price premium to access the D300 V6 was worth it. I had never bothered checking the D240 out because it has only been released more recently and I have previously dismissed 4cyl diesels as uninspiring and noisy.

So I checked when I got home.....

Could do better....
And what I discovered was that this latest Velar costs a whopping £63k. That's a lot of money. Like for like, the V6 D300 would be about £3k more. If you have the £3k and the inclination then the V6 is a better proposition IMHO.

Furthermore, the D240 Velar is just £7k cheaper than our own Velar (the one in the workshop. :roll: ). Now £7k is not an insignificant sum of money but, when one is already spending over £60k, the question that pops into my head is whether the extra spend makes a significant difference to the ownership experience. Buying a car at this price point is a discretionary purchase and certainly not in the sphere of necessity.

For us the £7k extra has been money well spent (there is a proviso but I will come to that later if I may). You see, the D240 S with few extras is a decent car. Visually, it makes an impact as it's white and the optional 21" wheels make a difference. At least until it's dirty after one trip in November on country roads. But it lacks the sense of occasion one would normally associate with a +£60k car. The standard sound system is decent, the touch duo looks lovely and the sunroof is good. But there's too much hard plastic on the door roll-tops, the dash and one needs to keep reminding oneself that this is a £63k car and not a £55k SUV.

Visually, it looks good - especially if you like the Stormtrooper Star Wars look. I can see this model being the car of choice for The Empire if they ever provide company cars to the Imperial Army. Darth Vader would approve, even if his would be in black!

It also handles well, very well. Better than the V6 on air suspension. Impressive. That lighter nose makes a big difference to agility.

And, of course, it has that same fresh, new-out-of-the-box Velar design ethos that every model in the Range shares and for which you pay your money.

But, extra special it is not. Not for the money. I have no doubt our Sales Manager has chosen well for residuals but it didn't grab my heart.

Each of us are different. Different budget, different priorities, different whims and a diverse opinion of visual beauty and audio fidelity. The killer for me was realising that, to build a like-for-like Velar where the only difference is the V6 vs D240 diesels, the price gap is just £3k. £67.5k vs £70.5k (Mrs A frowned when I revealed my research and my son just shook his head because both think I am mad to have done the research on the configurator).

Of course, my D300 is in the workshop. The D240 isn't. One might suggest that that has a big bearing upon which car is the wisest choice! I am hoping we might see Holly (that's the name of our Velar) sometime soon. Amelia at JLR CRC has been handling my case very well and the dealer have been great so far. But, in all truth, we are getting a bit tired of the whole thing and the possibility of just calling time and walking away from JLR is beginning to loom larger as the weeks go on.

I hope this review has been interesting. If not, apologies if you've made it this far!

Best wishes,

Arianne

·
Registered
201 Posts
Arianne, as usual great read and hope you stick around

If not - what would you consider?

I am getting a D240 so pleased to read about your experience, I thought for me the £3k wasn't worth the difference as for my used 240hp was plenty enough, still encouraging to see about the drive experience - of course for my consideration having chosen SE version I get some musts such as the better sound system and driver display.

Still paid for the air suspension though....

·
Registered
34 Posts
Another splendid review Arianne, please keep them flowing.

I'm sure you are exasperated with diplomacy but it maybe better the devil you know, it appears JLR are listening to your issues and your dealer sounds accommodating, that's very reassuring.
We are driving our 2nd D300 having rejected the previous due to poor quality paint finish, both JLR and Lloyd Land Rover couldn't have been anymore approachable.

In the race for perfection there is no finish line and our Velars don't appear to be perfect, however would a different manufacturer provide the same level of service.

·
Registered
34 Posts
mavg1986, I'm not certain but I believe you have to give the dealer the opportunity to rectify the problem, however there should be no compromise, having bodywork repaired on a brand new car in my opinion was a compromise and JLR agreed without hesitation.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I've seen a few reviews on the D240 (autocar and another topic just "re-vived" now) that although factory released a 0-60 figure of 6.8s the cars are actually achieving that in over 9s...if this is actually the case this is a considerable compromise...would that be enough?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mavg1986 said:
@Like it - quick question, when rejecting does it have to be because of a specific issue or any issue in the first 30 days?
You need a specific reason. During the first 30 days there is no charge for returning the car but the fault must render the car unfit for purpose. You can't reject it because you don't like it. But these are premium cars and so the expectation is of a quality product. Helpful for the rejection threshold.

Having said that, I hope you love your car and it is perfect :D

Arianne

·
Registered
201 Posts
Thanks Arianne, I am sure you haven't tried 0-60 and clocked it but reassuring you found it quick enough.

Again not sure if anyone actually buys a SUV and does the same to check whether the factory is "manufacturing numbers" or not...That said a few days away now :)

·
Registered
153 Posts
@Arianne another great read. I have become accustomed to your honest reviews so please keep them coming lol.

I still have a month till my car goes into build. Currently I have spec'd a D240SE but have been looking to either go D240HSE or D300SE. Due to the extras I think I'll probably go HSE. Your review echoes a lot that I have read already. It's a nice drive, more economic and if the only difference for me seems to be the pace off the line. I can understand your thinking as you have driven both where as my test drive was a D240.

Omar

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dear All,

(This is a repeat post of that placed on the Land Rover Customer Relations thread. If you've read that then save yourself the time and skip this post from me).

I would like to add my voice to the feedback about JLR Customer Service etc.

As some of you may well know, I have had a sad experience with my cars in 2017. First my Jaguar F-Pace was faulty and then our replacement RR Velar exhibited the same fault, albeit the impact of the fault was much less intrusive than was the case with the Jaguar.

This shouldn't happen. But it does. I think they call it 'Real Life'. What matters is what the manufacturer and the dealer do when it all starts to go wrong.

Now I would like to tell you that the performance of both JLR and the dealer was faultless at every step of the process. But it wasn't like that. There were a few points along the way at which things were gritty, flaky and frustrating. But I have to say that, overall, both JLR and my dealer exceeded expectations. Life isn't a fairytale, people have businesses to run and there's the usual dollop of corporate bureaucracy to navigate.

Compared to my previous experience with Edinburgh Audi (Lookers) and Audi UK Customer Services, JLRCRC and Lloyd Kelso Land Rover are in the premier league.

Amelia at JLR has managed my case throughout. She has called me, sent emails and delivered what I expected. Perfect? No. Some calls were not returned very quickly, I am on first name terms with Amelia's answerphone but ultimately she delivered. And that's one hell of a job that she has (best of luck Stacie, whoever you are!).

My Business Manager at Lloyd Group has also delivered. Perfect? No. We had some disagreements along the way but, when it came to the important stuff, she went the extra mile - calling me on her personal mobile while on a day's leave at crucial moments, letting the dealership do the heavy lifting and sometimes taking the financial hit. For them it was personal and not just about cars.

In 2017, during this unhappy affair, JLR & Lloyd Kelso always kept us mobile with quality cars - Jaguar XJ V6, Velar HSE, Velar S D240 and Jaguar F-Pace V6 to name a few of the nine cars we have had. They even let us take their XJ to France, Chamonix for a two week holiday in the Summer. They have offered various degrees of other compensation too and in various forms. In essence, it could have been better handled but importantly, they both delivered and I haven't known any other car company to stick with it rather than look for an exit strategy.

The driveshaft bracket is the fault. The same as the fault on the Jaguar F-Pace. They have a component which has been redesigned and, once it has received approval for fitting Velar, my issue will be gone. They have tested it on the Velar and it works (so they say). It is already being fitted as a Jaguar component to the F-Pace cars that are affected.

The great dilemma for us is that there is simply no other car we wanted. We dabbled briefly with a rejection and placing an order for the new Porsche Cayenne. But it's not popular with Mrs A and, to get the specification right, the bank account would be taking an even bigger hit. So the Velar is what we want and ours is well built and pretty!

Tonight, after four weeks, our Velar (Holly) will be back on our drive. And I am glad about that, we all are. We came very, very close to rejection. I am now satisfied that this is the car we want, it's the best it will be in the real-world and now we plan to get on and enjoy it all.

Amelia & Co: you ain't perfect but thanks for all you have done. I appreciate it.

Arianne

·
Registered
171 Posts
The bracket your speaking about which was fitted to the Fpace did not work, the noise returned so fingers crossed for you that you do not have the same issue of the noise returning, on the Fpace forum the noise returned to the car after around 2 weeks.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Arianne, again a great post and mirrors my experiences with my local dealer.

Now I had responded with a long winded post, which didn't post and I frankly cannot be bothered to read type it.

We have over the years developed a really close bond with our sales guy, Robin Angell who has been instrumental in resolving historic issues with the freelanders and evoque's of old. This relationship has grown over the years and I have the confidence that should I encounter any serious issue, he will ensure as he has previously, that a resolution will Be sort.

We also considered a Porker, against my wishes (being a TVR owner, I have issues with them) but after spec'ing to what we wanted/Velar equivulant it was just to bloody expensive (luckily)

Loving the car after a week of ownership and 4 months of waiting, even without live services and a slightly squeaky handle. It is simply gorgeous.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Just returned from a trip on the Fosse way (open road with lots of bends) in my D300 - the compromise with air suspension - great on uneven roads but does not like potholes!! - the performance justifies the car - it's the torque that rewards the driving experience - and when you need to overtake you have the confidence - this is by far the best Landrover product I've ever driven and the best return MPG

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
JKVelarF1 said:
The bracket your speaking about which was fitted to the Fpace did not work, the noise returned so fingers crossed for you that you do not have the same issue of the noise returning, on the Fpace forum the noise returned to the car after around 2 weeks.
I have been in contact with the owner of the F-Pace and we have exchanged private messages. His car is running 22" rims. It was originally clearly audible before the redesigned component was fitted. It's a new bracket on the half shaft. Afterwards the owner initially thought the noise had gone. But after a while, because he had previously been aware of the noise, he heard it again. This time however it was only just noticeable, very feint and he concluded that it was good enough.

I have 21" rims. This means that the noise is already much quieter than we had on our previous rejected F-Pace with its 22" wheels. And probably much quieter than the other case you are referring to. If the expected result of the new component is to reduce the noise further then I will also be happy. The impact should be either the reduction in the resonance noise to an inaudible level or near as makes no difference to me.

We are very happy to have Holly back. She has been built to our exact specification and the difference between her a d the stock courtesy Velar D240 is profound. It's been a lovely day up here in the Scottish Borders today and I enjoyed washing the Velar and the lad's new MB SLC.

Best wishes.

Arianne

·
Registered
62 Posts
One thing to bear in mind is if you are doing pcp and/or want air suspension, the d300 is a no brainer over the 240. Options do not work into balloon payment.

Comments on handling were interesting though.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.