Range Rover Velar Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone with experience of driving with both suspension set ups? Tempted to go for air as any pictures of cars on coils look a bit jacked up to me, that's one thing I disliked about f-pace, on the road the body looks too high up but I suppose it could be the same on Air and then it lowers in park?

Had a test drive in a D240 last week and very impressed, very quiet and refined, thought there was a slight lag when moving off but that may be me, felt smaller on the road than X5 which is a good thing even though it's been pointed out to me it is a similar footprint

Finialising an order now, my that is a eye opener, started with a S then quickly realised a SE would work out cheaper and then realised to get lumbar support on SE seats would be around a £4K upgrade (need Windsor leather and 18 way seats just to get lumbar) so now on base HSE spec rather than R Dynamic SE, last dilemma in Air v coil

Thanks

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BLAM said:
I agree, coil setup appears to be too jacked up. I didn't expect this and can't change my order now. Will probably change out to lowering springs.
Glad it's not just me It was when looking on auto trader that I spotted it, you can tell a car on coils straight away, I suppose all press cars had air, it may be one option too far for me, we shall see

Thanks for you replies

·
Registered
534 Posts
After seeing both side by side in person, I didn't think the coil setup looked too jacked up. It still looked lower than the average X5 or Cayenne, and definitely lower than the Sport. The air suspension drops the car a fairly significant amount while parked, and it looks very low and aggressive, but while driving I don't think there's much difference. I actually like the higher ride height better...makes the car look larger.

I was also paranoid about the wheel gap, particularly with the 20" wheels...thinking they'd look small in those wheel arches...but in person they don't.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
KRG said:
After seeing both side by side in person, I didn't think the coil setup looked too jacked up. It still looked lower than the average X5 or Cayenne, and definitely lower than the Sport. The air suspension drops the car a fairly significant amount while parked, and it looks very low and aggressive, but while driving I don't think there's much difference. I actually like the higher ride height better...makes the car look larger.

I was also paranoid about the wheel gap, particularly with the 20" wheels...thinking they'd look small in those wheel arches...but in person they don't.
I didn't mean the overall height of car but the wheel arch clearance, on cars with air it seems to be a nice even gap following the tyre but with coils the gap at top of wheel is a lot bigger, first link below shows a Velar on coils, 2nd link is a Velar on Air, there's some wheel close ups that hopefully show what I mean but I think you are probably right on the road they are going to be the same and probably a park setting?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201708188461533#gallery

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201708238607420#gallery

·
Registered
534 Posts
Yeah I know what you mean. The Velar on coils has a standard wheel gap for an suv. It didn't stand out to me in person. Looked fairly average. The Velar on air, while parked, looks a bit slammed. The wheel gap is significantly smaller than the typical SUV and the entire vehicle looks low. This is probably how it is in Dynamic mode as well, though I'm not sure.

Though I spec'd the ultra harsh sport suspension on my Porsche because I can't stand wheel gap on a sports car, It doesn't really bother me on an suv. I actually prefer it. But you're right, there is a definite difference.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I too have an OCD regarding wheel gap! Agh! I love to see it lowered, stealthy and definitely NOT jacked up.

My new First Edition is obviously fitted with air. So, I was interested to see how it looked in the various driving "modes". I set it to Dynamic and various others, but of course (when Im driving) it settles in the middle suspension setting. Off road brings it higher, and only when its parked (am I right though on this???) it settles into the slammed, lowest and, in my view, most attractive wheel gap setting.

Can anyone enlighten me further please? Am I missing something regarding setting it lower when Im actually driving it? I think Im right in assuming it always settles in the middle suspension setting when its being driven, but maybe I'm wrong?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hi from my understanding of the air settings

Standard height - driving below 50mph
Lowered by 10mm - driving above 50mph
Lowered by 40mm - parked or loading (of selected)

Off road increased not sure how much from memory
If also has a get out of trouble increase. This is not selectable but car will do it if grounded. Will raise even further for a very short period to get over obstacle then settle back to normal off road mode

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.