Range Rover Velar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone I'm new to this forum and it is the first time I've had to join any group to let everyone know of the service I have received from range rover I can only write about my vehicle model where the trouble started I purchased a R-DYNAMIC S D200 AWD AUTO MHEV on March 29th 2021. On the 6th of September 2021 about 6 months old and just 4000 miles I drove to Birmingham from Manchester to attend my daughters graduation ceremony all was good and we decided to have a celebration dinner. On the way to resort world I noticed a warning light on my dashboard BATTERY LOW PLEASE START CAR which I thought was odd as I was driving on the motorway anyway my exit was only 2 minutes away so I carried on came off slip road and entered roundabout for resort world that when the car shut down on me I lost control of gears/brakes etc I managed to pull over in a small layby and pressed sos button within 90 minutes technician arrived and I could see on his face he knew what the problem was and pulled out a ripped alternator belt(MADE IN CHINA)I was shocked and in the technician own words LANDROVER KNOW ABOUT THE ISSUE and I said WHY ARE LANDROVER NOT RECALLING THE VECHILES WITH THIS PROBLEM they are putting peoples lives at risk I was lucky maybe the next person won't be. I expected to make one phone call and all my issues should have been dealt with apart from the technician who was brilliant l had to make several phone calls to sort out the mess LANDROVER ASSIST WAS CLUELESS. Asisst arrange a taxi back to Manchester Next day I went to my local dealer GUY SIMON OF STOCKPORT to pick up a courtesy car which I had to arrange and spoke to the General manager about my incident and he would look into it yet again I was chasing the manager for answer I rang on 4 occasions to speak to manager and he didn't even have the decency to return my calls. To sum up I expected more from LANDROVER I don't feel a valued customer their was no communication at all after over two weeks I receive a phone call from LISTERS OF BIRMINGHAM telling me to pick my car up from Birmingham again clueless so I would advise anyone who has the 2021 velar MHEV to contact your dealer and get this issue sorted before someone gets hurt.

·
Registered
178 Posts
That's terrible and I'm glad you managed to stop safely and in a safe place.
Sounds like they're getting parts made on the cheap.

Was there more wrong than just a belt as it seems a very long wait just for a belt?
It sounds like others should get the belt checked - wise advice.

I did come across a webpage for reporting safety-related faults.
https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-recalls-and-faults/report-a-serious-safety-defect

If enough people report it then it might get a ball rolling.
I hope it all works out for you after this worrying incident.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Wivenhoe said:
I posted about this known fault weeks ago. It's a shame JLR haven't issued a recall but as the issue was apparently caused by a software update perhaps they are unsure which cars have been affected.

https://www.velarforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3904&p=38027#p38027
I have read your report, it is very important and I really hope it is a software problem..
on an Italian group Velar 2021 there have been some cases of breakage of the alternator belt! the part that worried me the most is that on a Velar the belt broke at 7000km and then at 16000 !!! the problem has always occurred on 2.0 mildHybrid, so it is clear that there is a flaw !!!! I had reported the same problem on this forum but I called it service belt (which is the alternator belt) ..! why didn't JLR notify customers? I could see that the problems concerned the Velar "delivered" between March and July ... The thing that makes me think is that if it is true that the problem was the software (I hope so), why did the belt break twice on the same velar? second time a week ago ....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This was my concern I wanted assurances it would not happen again 6 months down the line or 8000 miles but you have confirmed that the problem is ongoing which is worrying if like me you're driving on the motorway and you lose all power I will be popping into my local dealer to get some answers I don't know how they handled your issue but uk dealerships don't seem bothered about customer service at all

·
Registered
8 Posts
Had the same problem last week with my 4 month old Velar with 4000 miles on the clock. Total loss of electrics an a busy 'A' road 40 miles from home.
.My concern was having waited 2.5 hours for a recovery vehicle organised by Land Rover Rescue the driver was unable to get my car onto his vehicle without the help of the AA, (another 1 hour wait). His portable battery power pack was not powerful enough without connecting to a running engine and his leads were not long enough. This was repeated on droping my car off at home and collecting it again the following morning back to the Dealer who i bought the car from for repair. So it took 2 recovery vehicles and 3 AA patrols to get my car to the Main agent.
Vertu motors of Nelson were as usual very efficient and i collected the vehicle on completion.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had the same problem last week with my 4 month old Velar with 4000 miles on the clock. Total loss of electrics an a busy 'A' road 40 miles from home.
.My concern was having waited 2.5 hours for a recovery vehicle organised by Land Rover Rescue the driver was unable to get my car onto his vehicle without the help of the AA, (another 1 hour wait). His portable battery power pack was not powerful enough without connecting to a running engine and his leads were not long enough. This was repeated on droping my car off at home and collecting it again the following morning back to the Dealer who i bought the car from for repair. So it took 2 recovery vehicles and 3 AA patrols to get my car to the Main agent.
Vertu motors of Nelson were as usual very efficient and i collected the vehicle on completion.
Hi everyone I'm new to this forum and it is the first time I've had to join any group to let everyone know of the service I have received from range rover I can only write about my vehicle model where the trouble started I purchased a R-DYNAMIC S D200 AWD AUTO MHEV on March 29th 2021. On the 6th of September 2021 about 6 months old and just 4000 miles I drove to Birmingham from Manchester to attend my daughters graduation ceremony all was good and we decided to have a celebration dinner. On the way to resort world I noticed a warning light on my dashboard BATTERY LOW PLEASE START CAR which I thought was odd as I was driving on the motorway anyway my exit was only 2 minutes away so I carried on came off slip road and entered roundabout for resort world that when the car shut down on me I lost control of gears/brakes etc I managed to pull over in a small layby and pressed sos button within 90 minutes technician arrived and I could see on his face he knew what the problem was and pulled out a ripped alternator belt(MADE IN CHINA)I was shocked and in the technician own words LANDROVER KNOW ABOUT THE ISSUE and I said WHY ARE LANDROVER NOT RECALLING THE VECHILES WITH THIS PROBLEM they are putting peoples lives at risk I was lucky maybe the next person won't be. I expected to make one phone call and all my issues should have been dealt with apart from the technician who was brilliant l had to make several phone calls to sort out the mess LANDROVER ASSIST WAS CLUELESS. Asisst arrange a taxi back to Manchester Next day I went to my local dealer GUY SIMON OF STOCKPORT to pick up a courtesy car which I had to arrange and spoke to the General manager about my incident and he would look into it yet again I was chasing the manager for answer I rang on 4 occasions to speak to manager and he didn't even have the decency to return my calls. To sum up I expected more from LANDROVER I don't feel a valued customer their was no communication at all after over two weeks I receive a phone call from LISTERS OF BIRMINGHAM telling me to pick my car up from Birmingham again clueless so I would advise anyone who has the 2021 velar MHEV to contact your dealer and get this issue sorted before someone gets hurt.

Hi,
I too am new to the forum and felt the need to see if anyone has also experienced the scary issue of their alternator belt snapping on a near new car.
Last night on my 6 month old 4500mileage Velar, as a single female driving to a work meeting 40 miles from home on the dual carriageway, the battery power also came on and quickly noticed the car losing power.
Long story short, stranded in SE London with an AA man who had identified the snapped China made Alternator belt (he was very helpful btw), but a 3-5 hr wait at night in the dark for a recovery truck, plus only a promise to take me half way home (before waiting for another recovery vehicle due to it being over the drivers hours).
The AA man, not wanting to risk something happening to a female in the area at night called Landrover Assist to see if it was safe to charge the battery enough and then him tail me home. They confirmed it was safe!
The long journey home via the M25 quickly transpired to be a complete nightmare in the stormy conditions whilst not being able to use my demister or air con to conserve battery power. And very soon all warning lights were flashing and my power steering was going!
With an M25 hard shoulder charge in the driving rain, eventually got home.
However, as confirmed by the engineer who arrived the next day, over 4500 belts have been changed due to this fault of the engine being started by this alternator belt connecting rather than the starter engine. And all of these replacements have been carried out when they have failed in action and not via a recall!!
Why are landrover not recalling these cars??

On inspecting the warning codes on the diagnostics machine, my engineer remarked that he is shocked that landrover advised it was safe for me to drive all the way home and was m shocked that I got home without harm!

Landrover should be accountable for the consequences of their actions and I will be pursuing them further for their lack of responsibility considering the potential lethal consequences of their lack of a recall.

I sincerely hope they get their act together and pray they do so before another victim isn’t as lucky as I happened to have been.

·
Registered
178 Posts
That is terrible. Are new Velars not covered by Landrover Assist?
I'm glad you got home safely.
I provided a link earlier in this thread, have a look to see if you can report this obviously well-known fault.
There may be a more appropriate fault reporting system.
It really is important that something like this is reported centrally to record this very serious issue.

What action do you think can be taken? If that 4500 figure is accurate then perhaps some legal advice is appropriate from an expert.
I wouldn't let JLR get away with it. This is serious.

JLR will likely blame software. But that's not good enough. I wish you all the best.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have same thing but it’s happened twice in 6 weeks. September 11th had red triangle electrical fault light. LR Assist came, found the snapped belt and recovered me to local dealer. They replaced and also confirmed a new software update had been applied that was relevant to the issue

Yesterday, 29th Oct, exactly same thing happened again. LR Assist came, found the snapped belt but this time he had the parts on the van! He also said he’d do a software update that should address it but when he plugged in the computer my car is already on the latest software. So I now have zero faith this isn’t going to happen again as I already had the update and it still failed

I raised a customer care complaint to JLR and if I have any option to send the car back I will, it does not deliver on its brand or price point.

I had a really bad experience with a two year old Evoque back in 2017 and vowed not to have another Range Rover again, wish I’d have stuck to my gut feeling

·
Registered
231 Posts
I wonder if the latest software update has recreated the issue. I had all sorts of issues with the EV mode on my P400e. The dealer sorted it with an update. All was well until the car had an OTA update recently and the old issue is back. I am hoping that a further OTA updates sets it back to how it was.

my car has been back to the dealers since the build in May that the Sat Nav set their address as a commute !

·
Registered
3 Posts
I wonder if the latest software update has recreated the issue. I had all sorts of issues with the EV mode on my P400e. The dealer sorted it with an update. All was well until the car had an OTA update recently and the old issue is back. I am hoping that a further OTA updates sets it back to how it was.

my car has been back to the dealers since the build in May that the Sat Nav set their address as a commute !
The technician confirmed the car had the latest update that was implemented by the dealer the last time it happened. So it has been running the correct software and it’s till happened. No other update had been applied

It seems to be to do with the start stop system and the fact the alternator restarts the engine each time.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Which software versions are you all running? Which engines?
I see that some faults had been previously reported on the MHEV and I see Wivenhoe is PHEV.
Do they use the same engine start/restart systems?

Perhaps some data (evidence) can be collated so a big complaint can be put in and possibly reported to .GOV as a safety case?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Which software versions are you all running? Which engines?
I see that some faults had been previously reported on the MHEV and I see Wivenhoe is PHEV.
Do they use the same engine start/restart systems?

Perhaps some data (evidence) can be collated so a big complaint can be put in and possibly reported to .GOV as a safety case?
I don’t think we’ll be able to check the software. We can see what OS the main entertainment etc stuff is running but innnow for fact that it’s not the same as the various software elements that run the car itself. My OS is 2.1.3 installed 18th Aug 2021. But it’s also had the very latest ecu software installed middle of September but you wouldn’t know that unless you plugged it into a reader I believe

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had yet another update come through last night. Version 2.1.3a - includes transmission and drivetrain enhancements apparently!
I posted this elsewhere a few months back and my system has since been updated again. However I would like to think that this update was in response to the belt issues that seemed to be occurring in MY21 Diesel engines - specifically the MHEV models. JLR were adamant it was software related and the release notes here seem reassuring. Here's hoping anyway!

·
Registered
231 Posts
I hope your right but, I spoke to someone yesterday who’s car was in for the third time as a result of this failure. She was told by the dealer they will fully support rejecting the car as JLR are well aware of the problem but haven’t fully sorted a fix yet. The dealer even tried disconnecting one of the 2 starter motors to avoid the belt breaking but it didn’t stop it, hence her car having yet another failure.

I asked the dealer why my P400e isn’t at risk and he said it was only the MHEV diesels (as you said) - seems crazy that even disconnected one of the starter motors didn’t provide a temporary fix.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I hope I am right too, Wivenhoe. I have a D200 MHEV MY21 March build!! Fingers crossed. There was some early niggles software related - but since then all good (knocks wood) I enjoy driving my car every time I get in it! You would assume this update related to the belt problems, I wonder was it only rolled out to MHEV Diesel owners? That would offer further reassurance that they attempted a fix at least!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry to hear about your experience. We had the same thing happen to us last night!! And you are correct - LAND ROVER KNOW ABOUT THIS PROBLEM!! I was told straight away it is a faulty Alternator Belt Tensioner issue. The LandRover technician has now replaced the belt, fitted a new (apparently modified) tensioner, and assures me I won't have any more issues. If the LandRover technician is right, MY ADVICE to Velar MY21 owners out there - Have your JLR dealer inspect and/or replace the belt and tensioner with the new modified parts at the earliest opportunity. I can assure you, it is NO FUN AT ALL when your car dies late at night with no power! And potentially hugely dangerous as well.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts