Range Rover Velar Forum banner
61 - 80 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Nopixar, that's useful information - thanks. And it adds on to the post by Yannis earlier.
It begs the question; if it is a partial workaround then why don't JLR contact all their MHEV customers with this advice?
It may be an admission of fault but it could save a lot of hassle, reduce risk and , as usual, money.

Is it just the D200 MHEV or I6 diesel and petrol as well?
Its put me off ordering and I'd be permanently worried about this every time I drove the thing.
it seems only 2.0 D 204hp Mhev

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a D200 , 11 months old 7000 miles and the belt failed last week. Luckily I was just leaving home when it happened. AA came out and he knew the problem straight away. Car has been at the dealers for a week being fixed, the delay is waiting for a belt and tensioner. I have had numerous problems with this car and this is the last straw
love the car but I now don’t have any confidence it won’t happen again. JLR should be ashamed. Decided to change the car and will probably go back to German engineering.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Decided to change the car and will probably go back to German engineering.
Although I have had different issues to you (68 plate), I too am moving back to German (Audi). I fancied a change from Audi but I will never set foot in another JLR car. Hopefully you can get out without a financial loss.

·
Registered
347 Posts
And I went the opposite way - after 7 jags/land rovers over the years, I went to bmw and then Mercedes but none compare to the Range Rover so came back this year.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Me too Matty I am going to Audi, had a very good deal on the car so will actually make a bit of money. My wife has had two Freelanders and an Evoque over the years without problem but this Velar is constant niggles, the drive belt failure was the final straw. Shame I will miss the car but I can’t drive around waiting for another failure.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I had an interesting chat with a Landrover technician who was working on my Evoque.

I asked him about the Velar issue in this thread and he confirmed it’s becoming very common now and JLR should be doing a recall.

He mentioned for those doing short journeys the belts are snapping between 5-7k and long distance drivers 14-17k.

He didn’t really mention anything that can stop it from happening (I forgot about the Start/Stop solution) but just “good luck, you might be one of the lucky ones” because apparently JLR have changed the belts at the production stage.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Doesn't inspire confidence for prospective customers, oh dear.

"...apparently JLR have changed the belts at the production stage."
- I wonder; For better ones or cheaper ones? Or still in the pipeline?

Breakdown blokes and technicians are obviously trying to provide the best information they have but they, like garages, won't really know what work/testing is being done to fix the problem.
One day the truth will hopefully come out. And maybe a fix too :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
the question is also, is there anyone who has the 2.0 D mhev and has never had a broken alternator belt ???
Me too 11,000 miles since Jan ‘21. 20% short journeys, rest long journeys. Wonder if that makes a difference?
Have decided to disable the start-stop system, not sure if it does anything, but keeping if switched off until we know what the precise cause of the failures is.

·
Registered
143 Posts
mine has almost 5500 km (+/- 3400 miles), since December 2021, no problem. Me too disable the start and stop immediately after starting the car ... not only to avoid continuous starting with the electric motor, but also because the continuous start and stop in traffic is frustrated!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys!

So unfortunately I’ve had my belt snap last week with the exact same issues as everyone else!

The car first started jerking as I was trying to accelerate without any warning lights at first then it stopped after a few times.
I had parked up at my destination then got back into the car, within 5 mins the battery light came out with the warning light.. STOP DRIVING ONCE YOU SEE THIS & PARK UP as the car literally just shut down 15 mins after!!! I was luckily somewhere local so god knows what could’ve happened to me!
All the warning lights started flooding the dashboard and you will then lose all power. Land river assist texted my phone with the number to call, had AA come out but the mechanic told me I needed a recovery to take car back to home address. Waited for 2 hours for recovery and supporting AA (Land Rover assist) van, both were very helpful and had told me they have been attending the same scenarios very often with velars. Called land river assist straight after to arrange for repairs and was told a mechanic will attend home address to try and repair, if worst case scenario they couldn’t fix at site they would have to recover to dealership (luckily never needed to) had my car fixed from 10am until 1.30pm

Horrid experience and if I had known this from the start I would’ve made a different decision!
Mechanic had assured me that the belt part number had apparently been changed so he’s assuming it’s a upgraded one so fingers crossed.

Someone previously has posted a picture of the belt and I have the EXACT same serial number!!!
Updated software also.

I have a 71 plate D200 2,713 MILES ONLY

I had in total 2 AA VANS, 1 RECOVERY & 2 LAND ROVER MECHANICS out in a space of 2 days!!!

Really hope this doesn’t happen to nobody else as this is a absolute nightmare!!!

Thank you everyone for posting as this has really helped me!

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Window

Automotive tire Hood Window Motor vehicle Grille

Car Motor vehicle Grille Automotive lighting Vehicle

·
Registered
7 Posts
It begs the question; if it is a partial workaround then why don't JLR contact all their MHEV customers with this advice?
It may be an admission of fault but it could save a lot of hassle, reduce risk and , as usual, money.
That scene from Fight Club about recalls just came to my head!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Ha, ha. Very good.

I bet 5p that if people wrote to Motoring Magazines or Watchdog that something might start happening or at least an explanation.
It's certainly put me off buying a JLR MHEV vehicle for now. Mind you, with the long waiting list perhaps it'll be fixed by then (yeah, yeah).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also had this issue on my Jaguar F pace MY21 model. Over the 13 months i had the car from new, it spent 5 of them in the dealership. The alternator belt shredding was the final straw for me. Before it shredded, a couple of times driving the power steering failed, the dealer recons that was a sign it was beginning to go. Over past 13 months I have had so many issues with my car, I could write a book. So sad, when JLR make such fantastic looking vehicles. The belt going was the final straw as like others, Jaguar assistance (AA) had to recover the vehicle back to the dealer. I have now come to an agreement with the dealership. They bought the vehicle back from me, more or less what I paid for it 13 months before along with a refund of my service plan ect. The cash was in my account in a few days, and I have now purchased an Ex Demo Lexus NX. Fantastic car with no issues at all. My former Jaguar is still dumped out the back of the dealership waiting parts. My only advice to everyone is, think carefully if you really want to keep these JLR cars. If you are getting these issues during warranty period, what is it going to be like (and cost) outside of warranty. Sadly there are a lot better cars out there right now, and the shortage of vehicles mean that you may, like me get a very good value back for our car. Speaking to someone in the business, apparently JLR have just put a fleet of 500 extra vehicles on the road to cover for warranty work throughout the country affecting most JLR models. Although located at most dealers, These are issued by Jaguar / Landrover assist rather than individual dealerships. My gut feeling is, a shortage of replacement parts is most likely the reason they have not issued a recall on these vehicles yet!

Best of luck to you all. Kenny

·
Registered
386 Posts
Kenny. I know someone who’s Velar is in for the 5th time with the same issue. I certainly won’t be keeping my car after the warranty expires - I am looking now with expectations of a year for delivery of a new ordered car - my Velar will be 2 years old then.

My HV battery seems to have deteriorated by over 25% in a year and I really can’t face a massive battle with JLR over it. They are great cars when everything is as it should be but there are far too many times when they aren’t.

I won’t need to wish you luck with Lexus as they are well engineered and superbly finished. I had a GS 450h from new for 3 years - never had any issues and service was excellent. Only car I have ever kept for 3 years and I only sold it then as it was about to lose the exemption from the London Congestion Charge so I thought the residual would plummet.

I’m looking at Porsche and Lexus but never a JLR car again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Kenny. I know someone who’s Velar is in for the 5th time with the same issue.
Just to clarify, please, Wivenhoe: you mean somebody for a 5th time with a belt problem?!?!?! I guess yes, as this is what we have been talking about here, right? :-(

I am so frustrated: everybody at the dealership are lying and/or do not have an effing clue; last time one manager told me they were definitely recalling them and the next manager said she never heard this was going on.... so sad!

I may think to get some money back and get a Lexus. My friend has one and he travelled across Europe last summer. With my Velar I cannot even conceive taking it to Scotland (going there next week) without palpitating, despite having disabled the stop/start engine feature already....

I now truly believe JLR have a faulty MHEV design and we here are all utterly and simply f****d....

·
Registered
252 Posts
Precisely why you should be writing to Motoring Magazines etc.
Expose it (the fault). This could be a safety issue.
Few potential customers will read this Forum but they'll look at reviews in well known Publications.

There are about 20 entries here on this failure, some with worrying descriptions or where/when it happened and some with multiple repeated failures.
If it had happened to me I'd be typing like mad to WhatCar?, Carwow, Honest John, anyone, and maybe to Trading Standard and the .gov 'Safety Issue' site.
But first to JLR HQ to give them a chance to respond.

·
Registered
143 Posts
hello everyone, i just heard from a friend who has the velar and had the same problem, that the cause of the belt break is due to the pulley that turns crooked or seizes ... Do you have any news about it?

61 - 80 of 102 Posts