Range Rover Velar Forum banner
81 - 100 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hi guys!

So unfortunately I’ve had my belt snap last week with the exact same issues as everyone else!

The car first started jerking as I was trying to accelerate without any warning lights at first then it stopped after a few times.
I had parked up at my destination then got back into the car, within 5 mins the battery light came out with the warning light.. STOP DRIVING ONCE YOU SEE THIS & PARK UP as the car literally just shut down 15 mins after!!! I was luckily somewhere local so god knows what could’ve happened to me!
All the warning lights started flooding the dashboard and you will then lose all power. Land river assist texted my phone with the number to call, had AA come out but the mechanic told me I needed a recovery to take car back to home address. Waited for 2 hours for recovery and supporting AA (Land Rover assist) van, both were very helpful and had told me they have been attending the same scenarios very often with velars. Called land river assist straight after to arrange for repairs and was told a mechanic will attend home address to try and repair, if worst case scenario they couldn’t fix at site they would have to recover to dealership (luckily never needed to) had my car fixed from 10am until 1.30pm

Horrid experience and if I had known this from the start I would’ve made a different decision!
Mechanic had assured me that the belt part number had apparently been changed so he’s assuming it’s a upgraded one so fingers crossed.

Someone previously has posted a picture of the belt and I have the EXACT same serial number!!!
Updated software also.

I have a 71 plate D200 2,713 MILES ONLY

I had in total 2 AA VANS, 1 RECOVERY & 2 LAND ROVER MECHANICS out in a space of 2 days!!!

Really hope this doesn’t happen to nobody else as this is a absolute nightmare!!!

Thank you everyone for posting as this has really helped me!

View attachment 5449
View attachment 5450
View attachment 5451
this MX73-6620-CB is the new one or broken one?

·
Registered
386 Posts
I read an article in Car magazine about the reviewer having exactly the same failure on the 2d mild hybrid F-Pace he was reviewing. He was told that JLR were not going to do a recall but instruct dealers to do a software update when the car was in for a service. The update cannot be downloaded and installed OTA - dealer only. I suggest that you call Customer Service and ask them if the article is correct and request they arrange an upgrade at your dealers.
Font Terrestrial plant Electric blue Publication Book

·
Registered
MY21 Velar Edition D200 MHEV Santorini Black
73 Posts
another question is ... but is there anyone who has 2.0d Mhev and has never had belt problems ???
Since the iteration of MHEV according to UK records there something like 20,000 registered cars using the technology in the Land Rover brand in the form of D200 mainly across the Velar/Evoque since 2020. This doesn’t include 2022 data, Jaguars and doesn’t include global markets so obviously thats much much higher. There arent 20,000 broken alternator belts.

Ive done 11,500 miles now and still nothing. Many of those 2020 registrations will be hitting or past 30,000 miles now and they are still running. At some point you just have say you know what if it happens it happens. The car will live on or a person will get shot of it. You can’t spend all your time worrying about it. Its annoying but there’s nothing any of us can do for now. Very few turn up on Auto Trader through dealerships so that tells me that the vast majority of people are doing okay. Just enjoy the car, and if it happens we know what to expect, what to do and what not to do. I don’t even think about it anymore.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I agree with the general point but equally if my car was on a list for an update that could definitely resolve the issue I would want the update. If JLR have developed an update and are resolving the issue at time of a service, then it must confirm that the potential for the problem is so widespread that they do not have the resources to resolve easily.

I disagree that it would be just annoying if it fails, this is not just an irritating failure like the loudspeaker problem or the issues I have had with the EV on my car, but strands the car wherever, cannot be driven and so is not fit for the purpose it was bought - to be driven safely.

My friend who has had the problem many times is getting a replacement new car later this month - JLR have no idea why it keeps happening, but I bet you they sell the car on as it is - the dealer has quite rightly said it will have nothing to do with it. Her replacement is due for build starting Friday 13th May and she has pleaded with them to delay it until the 14th !

Reactions: Pier

·
Registered
143 Posts
Since the iteration of MHEV according to UK records there something like 20,000 registered cars using the technology in the Land Rover brand in the form of D200 mainly across the Velar/Evoque since 2020. This doesn’t include 2022 data, Jaguars and doesn’t include global markets so obviously thats much much higher. There arent 20,000 broken alternator belts.

Ive done 11,500 miles now and still nothing. Many of those 2020 registrations will be hitting or past 30,000 miles now and they are still running. At some point you just have say you know what if it happens it happens. The car will live on or a person will get shot of it. You can’t spend all your time worrying about it. Its annoying but there’s nothing any of us can do for now. Very few turn up on Auto Trader through dealerships so that tells me that the vast majority of people are doing okay. Just enjoy the car, and if it happens we know what to expect, what to do and what not to do. I don’t even think about it anymore.
yes I agree

·
Registered
143 Posts
I agree with the general point but equally if my car was on a list for an update that could definitely resolve the issue I would want the update. If JLR have developed an update and are resolving the issue at time of a service, then it must confirm that the potential for the problem is so widespread that they do not have the resources to resolve easily.

I disagree that it would be just annoying if it fails, this is not just an irritating failure like the loudspeaker problem or the issues I have had with the EV on my car, but strands the car wherever, cannot be driven and so is not fit for the purpose it was bought - to be driven safely.

My friend who has had the problem many times is getting a replacement new car later this month - JLR have no idea why it keeps happening, but I bet you they sell the car on as it is - the dealer has quite rightly said it will have nothing to do with it. Her replacement is due for build starting Friday 13th May and she has pleaded with them to delay it until the 14th !
yes, what you say is also true

·
Registered
79 Posts
another question is ... but is there anyone who has 2.0d Mhev and has never had belt problems ???
As previously stated 12,000 miles and no belt issues. Still think that the silent majority of owners remain unaffected by this.
My advice is relax and enjoy your car. If it happens it will be fixed. No car is perfect.

Reactions: Pier

·
Registered
143 Posts
As previously stated 12,000 miles and no belt issues. Still think that the silent majority of owners remain unaffected by this.
My advice is relax and enjoy your car. If it happens it will be fixed. No car is perfect.
This is good news! mine also has no belt problems at the moment, but the blind spot assist has been deactivated for a few days! 😭

·
Registered
386 Posts
Sorry to see that. Brave posting this after what you said before. I hope they sort it quickly and finally for you.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Never one to hide at the end of the day I’m only here to try and help and learn. I was only suggesting worrying about it happening always is only going to consume your whole life. I don’t suggest anybody just puts up with it so to speak.

So the exact mileage of my alternator belt death was 11,601 miles. Although the stop start may help prolong it certainly doesn’t prevent. Mines been off since the beginning of having the car and I do 95% motorway miles very rarely stop start traffic.

So the first thing I noticed when I got in my car was the high rpm (was ticking over at something like 1300 rpm which was unusual) part of me thought should I drive away and see if it settles, but my gut instinct based on this thread alone said no check under the bonnet. Weirdly enough the rpms were high just as I got out the car when I arrived at the same place but I thought nothing of it. Which adds even more confusion because the belt most likely shaded at the end of my journey with no stop start occurrence in sight. I had just completed a 40 mile motorway trip. A quick Shine of my torch in the correct area reveals the frayed edges of the alternator belt. This was before any warnings or anything came up so I’m grateful for all the information on here. Then of course followed the electrical fault error

Bumper Luggage and bags Grey Trunk Automotive exterior

LR Assit were pretty good but I was 40 miles from my home and there were no technicians available so it had to be put through to AA. What really annoyed me was I told them the issue and they still insisted to send van out with no relevant equipment. After two hours he arrived and told me exactly what I already knew. He organised a flatbed to take me back home which subsequently broke down enroute to me! LR Assist then had to book another one which was not due for another three hours. When I finally was recovered home six hours and passed since I’d called. I was lucky to be at my place of work so I could relax there without waiting in the cold in my car. The logistics were absolutely horrendous. When the car was offloaded at my home another flatbed turned up to take it on to the dealer. (even both flatbed drivers were like why are we both here)

Ive kept the belt and had a good good good look at it. From what I can see it looks like a pulley or a tensioner has had a couple of bites out of the lining before eventually gave way. Doesn’t look like something was wearing over time looks some very specific happens and that’s the end of that. Other than chunks missing from probably when the belt failed the rest of its looks generally in good condition.

Outerwear Textile Sleeve Dress shirt Grey

To be fair Land Rover assist on the night shift were pretty diabolical but when the morning staff came in they were absolutely top-notch. 15 minutes after the car left my house they had already organised me a courtesy vehicle and offered me a taxi to collect me to pick it up from the nearest dealer. They will have it until possibly Thursday where the dealer has explained that they’re going to fit different parts replaced as previously discussed belt tensioner water pump software update etc. Assist were very apologetic and as a goodwill gesture have put me up in this vehicle for as long as dealership has the car.

Car Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Tire

Certainly wasn’t expecting one of these but they’ve given me a Vogue Autobiography P400e. They had a Range Rover sport but said they would do their best to get me this one because of the extended wait I had. So overall a bit of a mixed experience but I’m gonna give them the chance to rectify it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
So got the car back! Having a nose around under the bonet I can see the belt is a completely different type of belt, pulley/tensioner assembly nothing is even remotely like the orginal one. The new belt has a part number of MX73-8620-HA with a logo from another brand and is labelled made in france. From touch the belt is also made of a completely different material. The pulleys are also different as the width of the belt has changed. Fingers crossed.
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Automotive mirror Tread

·
Registered
252 Posts
That's great news. Fingers crossed.

Did the Dealer do a software update as mentioned in Wivenhoe's snippet from Car Magazine?
(Software is always easiest to blame even if the wheels fall off).

I wonder if the Velars that people will be getting now have the mod already done?
I appreciate massive delays of course. Maybe they've gone to a different belt supplier because of the supply chain/China lockdown problems.
(i.e. is it safe for me to order?)

·
Registered
73 Posts
That's great news. Fingers crossed.

Did the Dealer do a software update as mentioned in Wivenhoe's snippet from Car Magazine?
(Software is always easiest to blame even if the wheels fall off).

I wonder if the Velars that people will be getting now have the mod already done?
I appreciate massive delays of course. Maybe they've gone to a different belt supplier because of the supply chain/China lockdown problems.
(i.e. is it safe for me to order?)
Yes they did and you can feel it. The generator can send up to 15nm of torque back to the crank via the belt. Pull away from standstill is when you notice it most as there is absolutely next to no lag compared to the non MHEV vehicles, feels a bit like you’re being pulled along momentarily. I’ve only driven it from dealers home and then home to work (about 45 miles) but it’s definitely been toned down feels a lot more like a traditional diesel. Not enough to make the car feel unresponsive but enough to notice it’s not as aggressive as before.

If somebody gets delivery of a car any time soon would be very easy to tell as the belts look nothing like each other in terms of shape or size so maybe someone could post a picture.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Due to pick up a new one on Sat. Was built in Apr could you let me know what to look out for and I will confirm whether or not they are now being manufactured with the new parts.
The belt could be - MX73-8620-HA made in France. But what is the software version?
Thanks

·
Registered
73 Posts
Due to pick up a new one on Sat. Was built in Apr could you let me know what to look out for and I will confirm whether or not they are now being manufactured with the new parts.
The belt could be - MX73-8620-HA made in France. But what is the software version?
Thanks
You wont be able to see anything regarding software as they do it directly to the PCM, has nothing to do with the entertainment software. You can see one of the belts by looking in the gap at bottom left of the engine bay.

81 - 100 of 102 Posts