Range Rover Velar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Eh. The base model, particularly with those wheels, looks a bit too nondescript and Evoque-like for my taste. The R-Dynamic may be fussier, but it lends a more unique look to the Velar. Maybe the base looks a lot better in person. Still cool though...can't wait to see one.

·
Registered
52 Posts
PPC said:
Today 7th July I was able to see 2 Velars at Chelmsford Lookers. A white base model and Corris grey R-Dynamic. Surprisingly, the base one looks nicer than the R- d, it's less fussy, less Range Rover Sport looking.
Did you get any pics of the R-Dynamic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The R-d was on a ramp so not easy to photograph, however I was told at the Leeds dealership yesterday that all dealers will be getting their car this week. Leeds had two, an R-d on display which you can play with. Check with your dealers as most should have cars you can see.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Went down to Lookers in Battersea. They had RR Classic, RR Sport, Velar, Evoque and Discovery all in a line. Velar looked worryingly small, but once I'd climbed inside (which Ive done many times since March) it proved tardis-like.....bigger, less chi-chi, less contrived, less girlie. The Evoque especially looked old fashioned, sooooo wanna-be and yet sooooo failing. Awful car. The Sport, which Im used to, looks planted, serious. It has "presence". In white and without a black roof or nice alloys the Velar I saw had almost none. Good spec (expensive options?) will give it RR Sport charisma. The wrong spec will make it look like some chav from Hollyoaks has got hold of it.
My FE comes end August yet Im still not 100%. Not nearly. Not....confident!
Oh God....

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had the same issues. Driving now a RR Sport 3.0SC HSE stealth pack, all Black. Now ordered a P380 SE R-dyn. 22" Rims,Silicon Silver, etc. Still don't know if it's the right choice. The front messurments of both cars are the same. It's the back that makes it look smaller..

·
Registered
35 Posts
Well I've done the Land Rover Velar Exsperince today and seem 100's of the dam things all colours all specs and wheel types sizes and not sure which one is best!!! But mostly on production line!! Some outside waiting to be compounded!! White looks awesome but I ordered a red one as have a white RRS so couldn't have another white car!! U think biggest thing is the wheels. I've had some 19 standard so I think I'm going to have to upgrade then myself when it comes!! Hi ho

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm pleased it's not only me that's not entirely certain about the Velars internal size. I don't doubt the fantastic youthful looks, or space age technology. But I would feel a little sorry for whoever had to travel in the back, I think the best description is compact.

We've got a FE in silicon silver ordered and a test drive booked for next Monday, then it's make your mind up time.
Velar, Disco 5 or RRS and that's the problem they are all brilliant cars! :?

·
Registered
534 Posts
Interesting. I feel like the Disco and Velar have dramatically different personalities and it would be easy to identify which suits you best. The RRS straddles the two, so that's a tougher decision.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hi all,

Interesting thread.

A few comments collated:

1. Surely there can't be any argument that the Velr's design is streets ahead of the other RR models - they look square and angular in comparison whilst the lines on the Velar flow

2. All cars look heaps better with wider wheels or sport style trims - the R-Dynamic has subtle yet striking finishes that together with the larger wheels, make for a superb sporty and elegant look

3. Any car with "Sport" written on it IS dated - the Velar's discreet variant branding is genius IMO

4. Round here where I live, women drive black packed RRS's, Vogues AND Evoques. I think the days of claiming a car was suited to a man are over - wake up and smell the genderless coffee dudes!!!

5. I personally hate white cars. Might as well have big UN lettering on the roof! JMO of course, no offence meant....😱

Silicon Silver looks great as does Corris Grey. Capathian grey is perhaps a little too dark. I chose Indus silver as I wanted to maximise the multiple colours - silver, black, burnished copper, grey on the front grill - it all blends together well and I've never had a car with such a mix of colours before

6. The tech in the Velar is not exactly space age as the German cars are already there with the same tech - the difference is that JLR have caught up which is great because the existing Tech is shite (had a 2015 F-Type which was horrifIc Tech wise!). One thing though, the graphics are excellent on the Velar - far better than the Germans

7. I hate the back of the Evoque and RRS with the angular stuff going on - the Velar has a far nicer rear look especially on the R-D which has the large square exhaust pipes

Overall, I think we'll be happy bunnys come delivery day....

Will be good to see everyone's models on here when we get delivery.

·
Registered
125 Posts
It is an interesting thread, I agree. You might almost say its the only serious one here. Arguing about colours and specs is trivial by comparison; those always come down to unique personal choices. Thank you dc44back; well written comments without spelling or grammatical errors make such a difference. At least to me they do.

In the past I'll admit I've been a total plonker sometimes when it comes to ordering the wrong car. I recall having one of the early Cayennes when they were first manufactured. A V8 Cayenne S. Driving down to the south of France I managed an average 9.5 MPG. It lasted 4 weeks. Wasted £000s when I traded it in. A thirsty ugly duckling if ever there was one. Then I had one of the very first X6 which, though it was an excellent car mechanically, drew so much negative attention it was like driving around with Twat stencilled on the bonnet. Both of these were the result of being drawn into the hype surrounding their launches, rather than analysing their potential as long term keepers.

Now I have a similar feeling about the Velar. It's a confidence issue I suppose. Will it be reliable? Will all that tech actually work? I too visited the Velar experience at LR and was struck by the Heath Robinson like assembly line. Cardboard boxes full of parts randomly selected by hand and then carried to the passing vehicle for fitting. Piles of discarded packaging and trash thrown around the vehicles as they moved down the line. Even the dealer Velar yesterday at Lookers had a tail gate shut line that was nowhere near "true". Shoddy. Laughable.

My FE will cost £85K+. I'd like to think Ill be a Happy Bunny too on delivery day, not another plonker a few days later when I realise I have another pup on my hands.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm quietly confident with the build quality and reliability of the car, having experienced Land Rover ownership for 12 years.
Previous satisfaction with our dealer has also been influential when decision making, this is probably why I'd be happy to consider alternative Land Rover vehicles.

Many of us have made reference to the fresh and contemporary appearance, and she does look wonderful. It's unlikely I'll use all of the tech gadgets but my teenage kids will love them.

My personal dilemma is the comfort of the rear passengers in comparison to the D5 or RRS, but that might be something they'll have to accept! Let's hope the driving experience complements the appearance.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just yesterday I caught a Velar for the first time on the road here in the US (NJ). It was a Silver non R-D with "prototype vehicle" printed on the front bumper like we've seen around the UK. It was stopped at a red light with a large SUV (older GMC acadia) next to it and I couldn't help but notice how much wider it was. It really gave the Velar the imposing presence of the RRS rather than an Evoque. Also it was in normal ride height mode where it appears just as tall as other SUVs. Finally, the DRLs are MUCH brighter than anything outside of some Audi and MB. I was grinning ear to ear finally seeing it on the road.

T-2 months. Build date 7/14...Can't Wait!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.