Range Rover Velar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon folks,

I type this post sitting in the back of our Velar on our first big trip! The lad is driving at 130kph, Tears for Fears are playing on the lower screen, SatNav is on the upper screen and central driver display, we're on the German A61 heading south and so far we all agree this is the finest car we've ever had! Our Velar has certainly attracted attention in the Netherlands and Germany.

First up - luggage capacity. Well, inside we have the skis, poles, boots, snow chain bag, presents (it's our wedding anniversary soon and we mark that with gifts), snow shovel, walking boots, ski-wear, other clothing, coats and....... an acoustic guitar! So tick :)

Second - performance. I misjudged my time yesterday before leaving for the overnight DFDS ferry from Newcastle. Oops! So let's just say that I needed to 'press on' travelling along the A68 and A696 across the wilderness that is the Scottish Borders and North Northumberland. Dynamic mode with occasional shifts into the sport gearbox setting for that extra overtaking boost. Wiggly country roads - no problem. Hairpins on the ascent to the border with England - easy! Tick ;)

Third - comfort. Well, at 105mph you cannot hear anything but wind noise in the front. Thanks to the super-smooth tarmac used by the Dutch and Germans there is no real tyre noise and you cannot hear the V6 Diesel engine at all. The air suspension is sublime - I am typing this pretty fast on the iPad touchscreen keyboard. Tick :)

Whacky JLR observation - climate control. We have learned that, on long journeys like these, it's best to manually control the fan on speed setting 1 and then the cabin stays nice without folk getting blown away.

Nice design touches - ability to change the units to kph but leave distances as miles if we wish, which we do. Switch the lights from left to right side driving - although we didn't notice any change to the beam pattern on the back of the car ahead while waiting to get through customs at IJmuiden. Sound system - you can actually still enjoy it at low volume even when driving fast because the cabin is so quiet. Pano-roof is great in the back as it's light and airy. And now it's beginning to get dark, the configurable mood lighting which makes the cabin a very special place at night.

Oh, and of course, the 4G hot spot with EE that allows me 2Gb data per month roaming across Europe. Which is how I can send this post and check WBA vs Stoke City scores since my firm's phone (which I use in the UK) will clock up mega bucks cost if I use it outside the UK (or at least it did a few years back when I had to repay them £90 for simply checking footie scores and the weather while in Austria).

And finally, the SatNav. Well, like our Garmin Nuvi which we call Lottie, Holly (that's the name of our Velar) struggled with the constantly changing New road configurations of the Dutch motorway network that is the Ring around Amsterdam. Otherwise, she has been great, clear and with good traffic real time data.

Close shaves - guy in front of me, just outside Newcastle Port, popped his Audi A6 into the back of a Fiat 500 at a roundabout. Oops, close one for us! And when the ramp on the car deck, level 6, started dropping the guy next to us in a Peugeot just managed to footbrake before he rolled into the back of the Passat in front of him (no air in the servo as the car was switched off from the overnight trip).. Saw it happen before on a ferry from Hirshalls, Denmark to Bergen, Norway. So I had already told the friendly Polish guy in the 2003 Ford Galaxy behind me to get ready (his Galaxy looked like a car with a dodgy handbrake!).

Happy days!

More reports to come.

Best wishes, Arianne

·
Registered
421 Posts
Awesome report! Yeah let me know what top speed you are able to do in Germany. Took mine to the Nurburgring and the Autobahn and managed to top out at 148. Not sure if it was just limiting me or the gear ratios but it didn't want to go any faster.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Great read again! Enjoy your much deserved trip, and very happy you and your family can enjoy it in Holly and not some loaner. Keep us updated when you can, but most importantly, have fun!

·
Registered
449 Posts
Thanks for sharing your experience. You know I'm waiting for the chains and shovel to get in action. Another great thing, you didn't need a visa for Europe yet. 😉
Have a great time.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Joe said:
Thanks for sharing your experience. You know I'm waiting for the chains and shovel to get in action. Another great thing, you didn't need a visa for Europe yet. 😉
Have a great time.
@joe, might as well. It felt like everyone was in the 'red lane' disembarking at IJmuiden. It took an hour to get off the boat and through customs in the Netherlands!

More generally, we have done almost nothing since arrival other than the essential food shop before Xmas closure and handing our skis into the local service depot for wax and edge sharpening. Why? All of us have gone down with terrible colds. We are a walking plague from the UK to wipe out this valley! So we have been holed up in our apartment. They never write about this stuff in the brochures.

At least we don't have ski lessons, ski hire or a ski pass ticking away while we're out of action. It's just frustrating when you look outside, the snow is decent and the skies blue, and we cannot ski because we're sneezing all of the time.

As for our Velar...... she is parked up and hasn't gone anywhere. I have set the wipers to winter park position. My winter Michelin tyres are, as expected, fine on the little patches of snow we have encountered but generally the roads are clear. More snow is forecast over the next few days and we should be better and able to venture out by then.

Speed - I maxed out at 125mph. That's me not Holly. She was certainly good for more but I didn't fancy it. I drive along these Autobahn usually twice each year and I am happy to drive fast, conditions and traffic permitting. However, this is the first car that has had the capability of going faster than me! At 125mph she was absolutely fine. With my XC90 D5 (five cylinder) and my XC60 (four cylinder diesel D4) as well as the Ford Galaxy TDi before them, they were all booming at 120mph and you knew they had maxed out or we're close to it. In the Velar there is no such drama. The noise is simply wind noise which is most apparent across the top of the leading edge of the roof (maybe the sunroof? It was closed, before some bright spark suggests I shut it!).

Fuel wise, I am really impressed. I haven't checked the stats so this is very crude...... From the Central Scottish Borders all the way to the Austrian Tyrol, really pushing it where permitted, two full tanks of diesel - in other words, filled up before we left and just one further fill up en-route somewhere in Germany. It is an essential prerequisite of any car I buy that it can make it at least to the German border without stopping for fuel as I speak basic German but cannot speak French or Dutch. My old Alfa couldn't do that distance and I had to revert to the international language of hand signals! By the way, German service stations are generally lovely - they serve freshly cooked proper food to order and the loos are spotless. I have always thought that they are better than even the best at Westmorland M6 in The Lake District / Killington Lake in the UK.

I will take some photos over the next few weeks and provide updates! Only because I like doing so (sad, I know).

Have a nice break folks, whatever you're doing.

Arianne (a-choo).

·
Registered
74 Posts
I could not resist , I pushed my P300 at 135 mph on my way to brittany, as you said very stable , only wind noise. You should not be afraid of stopping in France, some indigenes speak english some times. ;)

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
peterd said:
I could not resist , I pushed my P300 at 135 mph on my way to brittany, as you said very stable , only wind noise. You should not be afraid of stopping in France, some indigenes speak english some times. ;)
We did Argentiere, by Chamonix last Summer. We had a wonderful time although the hiking in the mountains there is right on the edge of what we feel is within our capability. Right on the edge being the operative term!

French food! You guys eat high quality stuff. It tastes like it was home grown rather than picked unripe, chilled and flown from a faraway place to the UK shores before being polished up for display in a big supermarket. While I am on the subject of service stations, even the food at French service stations is amazing compared to the UK. But I am slightly fazed by females using the male loos in periods of high demand!!!

Back to the Velar..... probably best! You're right, the car is absolutely stable at high speed. The issue for me is the speed differential on the autobahn between us and the other traffic. Despite there being no limit on many sections, most Germans are sensible and typically drive at around 80mph (130kph). Fuel consumption rises exponentially due to wind resistance at speed and its stressful for prolonged periods. The Velar is fine, the driver is in control (well, this one typing this post is in control) but when the speed differential is in excess of 50mph with other cars and well in excess of that with coaches and trucks then potential for something unexpected to create chaos is too great for me. I have seen the dust clouds as the fast approaching car desperately tries to shave off speed and starts clipping the debris and gravel on the very edge of the outside lane / central reservation because some fellow has pulled out and misjudged the distance and speed of what was once the speck in their rear view mirror.

I don't know about you guys on this forum, but I think almost anything can do 100mph these days in a straight line on a motorway. I have concluded that the thrill and skill of driving in 2017/18 is in tackling twisty, fast country roads rather than point and squirt down a motorway. I leave that mostly for the Corsa and Seat drivers (the former being the weapon of choice for teenagers and the latter being some form of Audi wannabe but without the bank balance). However, when we are trying to get from Amsterdam to Innsbruck (the nearest big city to us) then driving fast safely is a legitimate attempt to reduce cabin fever - even in a cabin as wonderful as the Velar's.

As an aside, I have often wondered at what speed / fuel consumption is the tipping point for the fastest overall journey time. At 125mph I almost believe I can see the fuel tank indicator moving to empty! Choose the wrong service station in Germany at the wrong time of day and you will be queuing for quite a while before you will get onto the pump. Meanwhile, gentleman in Ford Focus at a steady 70mph cruises past on his way to his holiday destination. Hare & tortoise springs to mind.

Anyway, think we will do a little skiing in the morning for a couple of hours. Everyone is knackered from having all had the cold so I suspect a couple of hours is all we will manage before setting up camp in a mountain restaurant on the piste. Picked my skis up from the service depot this afternoon and nipped to the shops for some food - the Velar certainly is attracting attention, in a nice way. Drove up an incline with compressed snow this afternoon and wouldn't have noticed any change from tarmac - seamless. Fab!

Best wishes to all.

Arianne

PS. WBA lost to Stoke City! Please, not relegation!!!

·
Registered
449 Posts
I hope you're getting better soon and find the weather and snow conditions be still perfect.
Sounds like an excellent ride in the Velar. 👍
Happy to hear you liked the German Autobahnen. We take them for granted and complain to often I guess. Thank you for the reminder.
You're in good company, none in Germany wants to speak Dutch 😂

·
Registered
449 Posts
Well, fast driving in Germany is like that most of the time. You're about 60-80 mph faster then the car pulling out with no signal of cause. That may be because of laziness at best or pure mean behavior. Most likely caused by jealousy, a wide spread great German attitude. So you're always prepared to test the physical limits or the ones of your ride. The more challenging stress factor is the, you called them Corsa and Seat, that are about 2 meters behind you with the weakest breakes who won't make it. Of cause they don't break because it took and will take them forever to get to the speed. So you adjust between adrenaline, breaking as hard as necessary, but not hard enough for the , let's call him driver (read idiot), behind you.
And then there are the few occasions on the Autobahn when it's empty, dry and enjoyable to drive 150 mph.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Piers said:
Where's the pics Arianne?
Piers, lovely to hear from you my friend :) Your wish is my command - here are some pics of my used tissues from the last few days while I have been holed up in our apartment :lol:

More seriously, did some skiing yesterday morning as planned. Fabulous even if my legs were like twigs after a few days of doing almost nothing while recovering (I've had 'man-flu'. Did I mention that before? Oh yes I did, but I mistakenly said it was a cold. Mrs A caught a cold and so it's now important to differentiate how serious my own condition had become - it had become 'man-flu', of course). Snow conditions in Austria right now are amazing. After morning coffee at the mountain restaurant Tanzbodenalm high above Scheffau we decided that, since the piste was flattering, we would ski all the way from the mountaintop to the car park at the end. Twenty minutes of sheer joy :cool:

Today it's been snowing all day. Right now it's pretty heavy. Being a fair-weather skier, I headed for lunch in a tiny hamlet called Thierbach. Here you will find the Gasthof Gratlspitz (I think that's how it's spelt) run by Barbara & Josef Klinger (@joe - I warn you, Barbara is Dutch and speaks Dutch. But also perfect German too). This year, for the sheer craziness of not knowing quite what might arrive after having ordered, they have a young trainee waitress from Slovakia who speaks acceptable German and broken English. Very sweet! However, "Ohne kase" clearly means something different in Slovakian German than in Hoch Deutch as the dish arrived with cheese on top anyway. Whatever, she speaks three languages (just) and I speak 1.25 :roll: So respect to a young lady who has left her family and home in Slovakia to work in an Austrian hotel for the winter season, learn life, better German and English and improve herself for the life ahead of her.

Thierbach is a beautiful hamlet high above the Wildschonau valley. It's an unspoilt, rural ideal which is peaceful and magical when the snow has fallen in winter. You never pass through Thierbach. It's always your destination as after the hamlet are just mountains as the road peters out. Beyond that are just pine trees - lots of them!

Here are some images. I hope you enjoy them and sorry if this has bored you somewhat...

So how does the Velar perform on compressed snow and steep inclines? Perfectly well. Of course, credit must also be given to the Michelin winter tyres which, with their new 8mm of tread and sipes, means they are amazing and defy the laws of physics!

I have a few more observations about the Velar now that I have driven in heavy snow for the first time:

First, that pano-sunroof means the heat from the cabin leaks to the snow on the roof far more quickly. The effective heat transfer means that, at the slightest incline, the whole lot comes sliding down over either the front or rear screen. Since it's me - it was the front screen :eek: And that's not great while navigating down a twisty road in a ravine while the lad in the back is telling you repeatedly "there's more coming" before a final "that's the last batch coming through now". I mean, how does he know? Afterwards it dawned on me. He can see the snow sliding along the pano-roof from his vantage point in the back! Needless to say, I bought a soft broom from Inter-Spar on the way back ;)

Second, we have snow. It's cold. Some of that snow inevitably flutters down into the cabin when we open the doors. I also have three breathing adults in the cabin and the skis from yesterday which had some residual ice and snow on them when we popped them in the tailgate. But the cabin is dry and the windows are crystal clear. No misting, no dampness. Whatever is happening to the other Velars on the other thread isn't happening to mine. I don't know why but I am glad as those images on the other thread don't look good.

Third, design feature :idea: I always thought that the dinky rear screen wiper was neat tucked away under the rear spoiler. But now I think it's more than just neat. It's inspired. The rear spoiler protects the wiper arm from the weight of snow as it accumulates on the rear screen tailgate and that is foresight. Well done JLR (even if it was unintentional and Amelia or Stacie are dumbfounded at this little 'break' they have had in the JLR design studio).

Fourth..... not yet. But there will be as this car is covered in little design features that compensate for the somewhat quirky JLR Britishness thing that's clearly still present in a UK designed, engineered and built car after all these years on from the dreaded Leyland days :roll: BTW, thanks to our Indian friends at Tata for supplying the investment (I know folk from TCS (Tata Consultancy Services) in my line of work and I have much admiration for the way they operate, their organisational culture and innovation).

@joe.... completely identify with your description of folk on the autobahn. But because I am a 'guest' on your road network from the UK, I take the view that I need to be patient with them all - including the idiot who pulls out without indicating. As for the fellow trying to get a 'close up view of Holly's integrated exhaust system (!!!) to assess whether she's for real or just fake like most Mercedes - I just politely pull over and let him past. There's nothing worse than (a) a traffic incident outside one's native country or (b) reinforcing a stereotype about the whole nation's drivers from the UK. I mean, we all know the Italians have that trophy in the cabinet for eternity :lol:

Best wishes to all.

Arianne

·
Registered
31 Posts
Great to see Arianne, thanks for those and hope the man flu sorts itself out before the trip home and you get some more skiing in.

We are off to Meribel next week, so hope the snow is like yours - flying not driving though for me.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hello folks,

So it was -9c last night here in Austria. It had snowed heavily until about midnight and then the skies cleared and the temperature dropped.

So, here is a question. Is there any way I can choose whether I want my mirrors to retract or just stay static when I lock the car? This morning the driver's side mirror wouldn't unfold due to a build up of ice. This is not uncommon for any car. But, with my previous Volvo and my son's Mercedes, you can access the settings and choose whether you want the mirrors to automatically fold away or not. In the winter we disabled the auto-setting to preserve the motor in the mirrors if the units became frozen.

I can't find an option like this on the Velar? Any ideas? Some of you Canadians live in an environment whereby -9c is no great event for you in winter.

Thoughts?

Arianne

·
Registered
69 Posts
Asked my dealer shortly after delivery, referred me to the official "The mirrors can be configured to automatically fold when the vehicle is locked and unfold when unlocked. The automatic folding and unfolding feature can be enabled or disabled by a retailer/authorised repairer."

·
Registered
421 Posts
There should be an option in the cluster under the convenience features I think

1 - 20 of 30 Posts