Range Rover Velar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A feature I knew from BMW is "Automatic Hold Function". This enables to hold the car after it came to a complete stop by activating the breaks. The driving gear is still in place. After touching the gas, the break is released. This is very comfortable in urban traffic.

Does such a function exist in the Velar?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Yes. Works well.

Arianne

·
Registered
177 Posts
Short answer, no.

In my understanding Hill Hold Assist on the RRV works if the car is on a slope, i.e. it won't roll backwards, but if on a flat road it doesn't kick in as it does on an Audi, Merc or Beemer. Means keeping your foot on the brake or putting the car into neutral or park using the rotary gear knob.

Bummer really....

·
Registered
482 Posts
Sorry, thought we were talking about hill hold assist.

Arianne

·
Registered
125 Posts
Haha, spent ages trying to find this having missed asking about it on delivery day. Thought it might have been the "P" low down below the right hand dash next to the boot release. But, no, no "auto-hold" ! Who'd have believed it? On a Range Rover!!!

What IS the "P" button?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Actually it's more of a software algorithm that would be more then easy to handle. All required system conditions are already build in the car. JLR wake up!

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No, JLR needs to do their homework and get us updates that fix things in the way they should have been from the beginning. This is not a tata car customers are buying for north of 50k.
We're living in the age we're customers expect updates for products they've purchased. This times of 3-7 years cycles are over! Customers don't differ between their smartphone experience and their cars. Why is Tesla the only car maker that understood this fact?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry, this is all off topic.

At least their hardware and software is able to get significant updates OTA. I didn't say nor mean their quality is acceptable, it's not. Not with the car finish nor with there software. But they planed the car systems like a device. While other car brands still hesitate to make the switch to an agile software cycle. Agile does not mean bad quality by any standard. Testing is a main part of any development. Most car manufacturers fear OTA updates because of the fact that connectivity issues could cause a desaster. A fact that can be excluded by a proper setup (full download, verification, sufficient battery status and incremental update). Anyway, nothing we have or will get here in the current Velars.
So we stick to the over 30 year old cycle, release, realize a feature is missing by demanding customers and present it years later as a feature. We already see this isn't working. Customers including me leaving excellent car brands like BMW also because of the smartphone and tablet like interfaces in the Velar. JLR got this exemptionel right.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Ok...just to clarify this.

Ive been...stopping my car, putting the gear selector in Park and turning off the engine. This seems to "park" the vehicle with the handbrake "on".

Are you saying the "P" button (lower, right, beside the boot release) is in fact the "handbrake" ?????

·
Registered
177 Posts
Lancer dude.... have you been smoking the wacky backy??? 😉

Most new cars have an electronic park button. Usually they're located close to the gear knob but JLR decided to place theirs in a totally awkward place for reasons unknown.

It's only really necessary if you decide to park the car on a slope and want some extra comfort beyond leaving the car in park.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Ps. But JLR could probably release an update to make it move to the centre console.... 👍👍👍👍👍

·
Registered
44 Posts
I think the daft location is related to the clean design.
I much preferred the BMW version where you activate it once and then it holds you everytime you stop.
Also the change from the Evoque where you pulled it towards you to the Velar, push away.
I use it at lights and have got used to not having to look where it is.... but I still think it's a design flaw.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.