Range Rover Velar Forum banner

Best and Worst

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Vennwood 
#1 ·
Over the years I have owned many cars from Land Rover, BMW, Jaguar, Porsch, Volvo and even a Rolls Royce Shadow and I can honestly say the Velar scores top of the list in both Best and Worst catagory. Its the most comfortable, quietest and functional car I have owned. It also ranks number one in the most unreliable car I have ever owned.
Since taking delivery some two months ago it has caused problems virtually every week. From a selection of software issues (happens to most digital dashboards and instreument panels in my experience) to problems with the DPF.
The DPF was removed last month for a "sonic clean" and I was told this would be the answer to my engine management issues (not to mention the flashing lights on the panel) and was "as good as a new DPF". Sadly some 400 miles later the problem has returned and now in the process of getting the dealer to accept responsibility. While I accept I bought the car secondhand, however it is low mileage with full service history and is completely unmarked.

Very disappointing for such a lovely car. Really don't know what to do

#2 ·
I don't know the current status, but there is/was a US class action against Landrover re DPFs. I don't know if there is one in UK.
There's also DPF class action against Toyota for, what I hear (John Cadogan), is a more serious DPF fault.

They will, of course, try and wriggle out by saying it's your driving style and characteristics (short trips, no time for re-gen etc.) so be ready.
My argument would be that an up-to-date (i.e. informed) Dealer should ask about your typical driving and, at the very least, warn you about DPFs and operation.
This applies to almost every make of diesel car since whenever it was (2016?).

I think one of arguments in the Class action was that the vehicle didn't provide reliable early warning.
My old Evoque did provide 50% clogged warning first time but not the second time resulting in a muggered DPF and a £1700 bill.
I was a diesel virgin so merely grumbled and paid up.

In fairness my local LR dealer (Yeovil) did actually discuss driving styles and DPFs when I was buying a Defender.
It's something every potential buyer should be told or reminded regardless of brand.

If, of course, your driving is long enough to allow the occasional re-gen they it must be a duff DPF.

PS. Thanks for letting us know that the DPF clean wasn't a success.

#3 ·
Hi Fenton,
Thanks for your detailed comments. Definately food for thought. I've been driving diesels for over 40 years and my driving style hasn't varied much and I have never had a problem with DPF's and that includes RRS, X5 and Mercs. as I mentioned above I've done around 400 miles since the "clean" what I should have mentioned that while one or two journeys were shopping trips (approx 12 miles my last trip was over 120 mile round trip mainly on motorways. I was "talked into the Sonic clean" as it is "as good as a new filter" - clearly not.
Thanks again for your comments

#5 ·
Update: The saga continues. Having had the Velar "diagnosed" today the result(s) appear to be twofold. 1st the Throttle control unit is "sticking causing an over boost error - the same engine management icon as the DPF
2nd - there appears to be a sensor error that is sending incorrect readings to the engine management system.
All that said I am not convinced as I get the message that the DPF filter is "almost fully blocked" The seller and LR dealer are now fighting it out as to which bits to replace and who should pay. More later

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.