Range Rover Velar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brakes squeal upon first use after sitting overnight, mainly when it's been cold and damp.

I find it very irritating, especially as I cant avoid braking as I leave the house and it makes me feel that i'm waking the neighbours.

I have never had any other car that squealed like this unless there was actually a problem.

Has everyone got this, or do I need to take it up with JLR under warranty, though this could be difficult as it only does it at first use.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I notice the same thing, also backing down my driveway when wet the front brakes will lock up and slide. docent seem right

·
Registered
813 Posts
Mine also. Very irritating and as above, first car I've had (mostly LR) that this happens on.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've just had this all weekend too! When I back down my dropped curb it does it. Goes away after a short drive. Didn't have this last winter.
My first car that was an old wreck many moons ago never had this little feature 🙄

·
Registered
32 Posts
Me too, glad that it's not just mine doing this. Literally every morning the past 3-4 weeks. After braking and squealing once, ok again until next day. Strange.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Yup. Weird. Unless it's a parts issue for a certain batch of cars?

·
Registered
186 Posts
ME TOO!!!!
Our neighbour at the bottom of our road has even said to me 'i know it's you every morning as the brakes squeal' when i brake at the end of our road going to work every morning. Even happens after standing for short periods but always just the first time i brake, it's annoying and embarrassing! what can be done? Sorry it's happening to you guys but I'm glad it's sounds like a fault rather then just me?

·
Registered
134 Posts
I think this is temp related ? Do any other members from colder climates experience this issue? Had exactly the same issue last year when the temp dipped a bit. Took it to the dealer for another issue, so mentioned the squeal issue so they could look at it the next morning while in their care, was told when I picked it up the day after, that they replaced the pads and discs? Which was fine as I had no issues thereafter, until 3 days ago when exactly the same issue is happening again 🤬.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Nowaytk said:
I think this is temp related ? Do any other members from colder climates experience this issue? Had exactly the same issue last year when the temp dipped a bit. Took it to the dealer for another issue, so mentioned the squeal issue so they could look at it the next morning while in their care, was told when I picked it up the day after, that they replaced the pads and discs? Which was fine as I had no issues thereafter, until 3 days ago when exactly the same issue is happening again 🤬.
FWIW, I've never heard a peep (or a squeak or a squeal) from the brakes here in sunny Florida.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nowaytk said:
Anyone know how to raise it as a service notice with JLR to force them to look at a permanent solution for everyone, so when they next visit the dealer it is rectified.

I suspect it is the pads and not the disks, as I see other models have had issues, but don't know if they found a permanent fix.

I don't see any point in taking it in unless the solution is permanent.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Well me too. Only happens first thing in the morning and generally when cold and wet overnight. Does not happen once the brakes have warmed up. Not sure I can be bothered to take it back to the dealers as it disappears. Bizarre.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Same here... Usually the first 2 or 3 times I try to break after I start the car and drive away. It is annoying as it's not only true for when it's been raining, you just never know before it happens. I suppose this should be normal and has to do with the humidity and other factors but the stock brake discs on my Velar seem especially prone to getting rust on them very quickly. Sometimes it doesn't take more than a couple hours of being parked still before I start noticing rusty patches on the brake discs, usually followed by brake squeal.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Another one to add! I'm at 25k miles. It noticed the squeal about 6 months ago. For me, it doesn't matter. Short drive, long drive, hot weather, cool weather. I'll bring it up when she goes in for her next scheduled service.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The Brakes suck on this car, I need to upgrade soon , sad on a top end car . everything else is well for now .

1 - 20 of 33 Posts