Range Rover Velar Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Coming from a BMW PHEV with this functionality, one of the things I liked about the Velar is the advertised pre-conditioning of the cabin (defrost windscreen, heat or cool remotely). The description on the website clearly says in control has this feature in the app and the dealer said it is standard.

Now on reviewing the full set of option on the website, it seems auxiliary heating- presumably required to precondition - is a £1k option Timed Climate and Remote (on anything except FE). Is that right, or is this an addititonal feature? The app advertises being able to turn on the engine remotely to activate climate - so is it a case that it can do basic precondition without this upgrade, or are the two linked?

Can anyone with a non-FE and who didn't spec this option confirm whether this function works on a basic level without Timed Climate?

Thanks

·
Registered
727 Posts
It will work as long as you have the incontrol app downloaded - it's even standard on a Discovery Sport!

You can start the car remotely from the app and pre-heat or cool it. Not sure why they still offer the aux heater tbh it makes no sense to me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not quite sure how this works? How does the smartphone app communicate with the Velar to turn It on? Remote heating is normally sold as an option for the Velar, I am surprised that the Velar can be turned on and preheated remotely ?!? Not quite sure I have understood, Thank you for your insights !

·
Registered
51 Posts
My understanding, from other family models with INcontrol Touch Pro, is that once the car is shut off, the SIM card inside the vehicle stays "awake" or "Active" for a predetermined period of time, I believe something like 90 hours or so? The car has to be in a cellular range not inside an underground where communication might be disrupted. Others with 2016/17 models in the RR or Jag family might be able to chime in on this one.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have a Velar S without any extra options relating to remote cabin conditioning... I can confirm that it works via the remote app. Haven't really used it yet but I tested it briefly and all seemed to be in working order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
482 Posts
F-Pace has exactly the same system. It works.

The aux heater is a niche offering in the U.K. It is independent of the engine running on tickover and so is unaffected by DPF issues or low fuel etc. - all of which will disable the app preconditioning function.

In some countries the app preconditioning is not approved. Hence the aux heater would be the only option.

BTW, the Remote App is great. You can check the status of your car, lock and unlock, close windows, start it up, shut it down and it records all of your journeys, fuel economy and enables you to export the data to excel if you so wish.

You will love it.

Arianne

·
Registered
79 Posts
Arianne said:
F-Pace has exactly the same system. It works.

The aux heater is a niche offering in the U.K. It is independent of the engine running on tickover and so is unaffected by DPF issues or low fuel etc. - all of which will disable the app preconditioning function.

In some countries the app preconditioning is not approved. Hence the aux heater would be the only option.

BTW, the Remote App is great. You can check the status of your car, lock and unlock, close windows, start it up, shut it down and it records all of your journeys, fuel economy and enables you to export the data to excel if you so wish.

You will love it.

Arianne
Hmm it seems I can only lock and unlock mine. Can see the open/closed status of windows, doors etc but can't actually remotely control those aspects.

Is that standard a standard feature?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
482 Posts
^^ sorry you are right, my mistake.

Arianne

·
Registered
40 Posts
This is fantastic! I'm about to pull the trigger on ordering, but have had a nag in the back of my mind that I couldn't stretch the extra £1k for the remote timed climate on the Velar S. I'd read the brochure (many times) but still wasn't clear if it was really standard or "standard for the InControl portion, but ONLY works IF you have the remote climate option". So it's brilliant that you've confirmed here it works as standard. I can't wait!

·
Registered
449 Posts
Remote starting the car to heat it up is not really climate friendly, right? Seat and steering heating should do the job. Ok, probably you don't like scratching ice. I don't mind scratching.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts