Range Rover Velar Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Nice to read a review of the D180 and Coils, even nicer hearing that it would be the chosen option. I do love the air, however I did find it wallowed about on the A roads and rolled a little on the twisty B's. however I still think if budget allowed I may have chosen it, luckily budget didn't allow so that was one option we didn't have to contemplate.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I waited for the Velar to be released in the UK and test drove both the D240 and P250 before placing my order, so it is a different comparison to the cars.com reviewer.
The D240 didn't seem to have the acceleration I was looking for and felt a bit gruff when pushing it. Its rev limiter is also set up to change at much lower revs so I wouldn't have much fun using the paddle shifts.
The P250 seemed to move with a bit more urgency (it is 0.4 secs to 60 faster than the D240 according to Land Rover, but felt faster to me) and it felt more natural to play with the paddleshifts because the rev limiter is set higher. With the P250 there is a small bit of turbo whine you can hear but to my ear it sounded quite good mixed with the enging revving, better than the diesel.
The other considerations for me were:
- would I rather a petrol or a diesel engine? Given my experience with diesel previously as well as the general negative vibes/badwill in the UK toward diesel that also veered my decision towards petrol;
- how much would I save by driving diesel versus petrol on a mpg basis? I used http://fuel-economy.co.uk/calc.html
to input the mpg, cost per litre of the fuels and how many miles p.a. I expected to drive, to calculate the fuel cost p.a. for both the diesel and petrol engines. I then weighed that up against the £1,600 extra the D240 was going to cost versus the P250.
In the end I have plumped for the P250 which is what I have ordered. Of course, everyone has the Velar for different reasons, needs and purposes and I would hope you wouldn't be unhappy with whatever decision you make.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.