Range Rover Velar Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

A lot of you have been asking me what Gtechniq Crystal Serum is etc. I am attaching some links for you to see what the product does. There are two versions of this:

Crystal Serum + EXO - this needs to be applied by an accredited detailer only and if it goes wrong it needs to be wet sanded off - costs vary from £1000 - £1800 depending on the condition of the car. Now you will be thinking "Well mines a new car what can be wrong with it"? Well if your dealer preps your car for sale they will add numerous swirl marks to the car - these are fine surface scratches on the paint of your car - all those swirly circles you see when under the lights when you are filling up your car with fuel. Ceramic coating can't be applied to a car in this condition so it first needs to be prepped up - a detailer calls this "Paint correction" - this can take anything from 1-2 days to do. They use machine polishing to take off a micro layer of paint to bring it back to smooth condition and then the ceramic coating goes on.

Once the coating is on your car is pretty much like a non stick frying pan! It will repel water and dust like crazy and also protect from swirl marks to some extent. The trick though is to ensure your car is washed correctly (using the 2 bucket method using premium cleaning products and wash mitts etc) after application of ceramic coating. If you are going to be using your local drive in and out car wash (hand or machine) then this product is not for you as it will be stripped off in no time as these places use harsh chemicals to clean cars and in two to three washes the ceramic coating will eventually either come off or reduce in effect by up to 70%!

So the trick is to ENSURE your dealer does not prep your car for sale - no protective coverings removed, no washing, nothing - the car needs to go to a detailer as it left the factory and in this way your costs reduce considerably as paint correction is not required!

In some cases you may still need paint correction if there is contamination on your paintwork - I had this on my wifes Evoque and maneged to get the dealer to get JLR to stump up for the corrective work required. Contamination would be any particles stuck in the paint - small bubbles, dust specs etc.

The second product is Crystal Serum Light and EXO - this product has 80% of the efficacy of the one above but is easier to apply and will not need to be wet sanded off if things go wrong - the cost is around 30% cheaper too.

My cars have the light version and it's great. As mentioned before I have a detailer doing mine right now before delivery he covers the London area and is in the process of opening a retail detailing center based in West London so PM me if you want his details and cost etc. He will soon be a preferred supplier to this forum but there was a slight delay whilst he sets up his unit (he was previously a mobile detailer). He is going to be giving forum members a special offer of a flat rate of £750.00 for CSL and EXO depending on location.

He can also do the job at the dealership if your dealer allows him to but travel costs may apply depending on where you are located. I think this is a must on any new car as makes maintenance a breeze once it has been done :)

Links:

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This video helps a lot. Stand outside a local hand car wash and compare it to this and you will see the difference! Those guys spray down the car, then shampoo working from the bottom to the top and most use the same washmitt for the bottom of the car and wheels and then end up on your cars bodywork dragging across all the grit and grime causing the fine scratches we call swirl marks! disaster!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.