Range Rover Velar Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought this might help someone as i was googling brake issues with the velar alot of people complaining.

So noticed a really weird line on the rear brake discs when getting a puncture sorted. Same on both sides. Not present on any of the other velars family/friends own (although they all have larger engine models). Mileage just over 20k. See photos.

Automotive tire Vehicle brake Rim Wood Automotive wheel system

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle brake Locking hubs

Decided to change them ASAP. Heres some more pictures off the car along with the pads.

Sleeve Gas Personal protective equipment Human leg Knee

Wheel Tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire Automotive tire

At this point i decided ill just change all the discs and pads all round. After finding out how bad the oem stuff is rated by people (and the price!) I went for EBC oem discs and green stuff pads. Cost of discs and pads for all 4 corners of the vehicle delivered was £340. OEM sensors front and rear was £51 :)eek:) from local dealer. Labour cost was from someone ive used for years so super reasonable. All in around £500 fitted.

Im probably sure i could have got these changed under warranty but really wasn't worth the fuss when i believe the replacements would have been terrible anyways. Also hoping the EBC coating doesnt give that horrible rusty finish anytime soon.

The front disc wear also not very even:

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Bicycle tire Tread

Some random after photos of the new stuff being fitted. Really should get the calliper painted black now.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

Notes: The black coating on the face rubs off on first brake application (i took it for a quick drive and braked a few times). You can see the green pads even through the 21" rim spokes.

Ive noticed a lot better braking performance. Could be comparing the terrible end of life braking performance vs the fresh feel but at times around town the cars slowed down noticeably more with the same brake use.

No squeaking or squealing issues at all. No vibration or judders.

How they will hold up i don't know but ive had great experience with EBC on many other vehicles (although higher performance) and im very happy with this reasonably upgrade.

Ordering Note: Make sure you measure your disc or find out from land rover your exact disc size before ordering online. Even the D180 HSE has 325mm or 350mm front discs. (i found out the hard way lol)

·
Super Moderator
428 Posts
Great write up - thank you.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thought this might help someone as i was googling brake issues with the velar alot of people complaining.

So noticed a really weird line on the rear brake discs when getting a puncture sorted. Same on both sides. Not present on any of the other velars family/friends own (although they all have larger engine models). Mileage just over 20k. See photos.

View attachment 5529
View attachment 5530

Decided to change them ASAP. Heres some more pictures off the car along with the pads.

View attachment 5531
View attachment 5532

At this point i decided ill just change all the discs and pads all round. After finding out how bad the oem stuff is rated by people (and the price!) I went for EBC oem discs and green stuff pads. Cost of discs and pads for all 4 corners of the vehicle delivered was £340. OEM sensors front and rear was £51 :)eek:) from local dealer. Labour cost was from someone ive used for years so super reasonable. All in around £500 fitted.

Im probably sure i could have got these changed under warranty but really wasn't worth the fuss when i believe the replacements would have been terrible anyways. Also hoping the EBC coating doesnt give that horrible rusty finish anytime soon.

View attachment 5533

Some random after photos of the new stuff being fitted. Really should get the calliper painted black now.

View attachment 5534

View attachment 5535

Notes: The black coating on the face rubs off on first brake application (i took it for a quick drive and braked a few times). You can see the green pads even through the 21" rim spokes.

Ive noticed a lot better braking performance. Could be comparing the terrible end of life braking performance vs the fresh feel but at times around town the cars slowed down noticeably more with the same brake use.

How they will hold up i don't know but ive had great experience with EBC on many other vehicles (although higher performance) and im very happy with this reasonably upgrade.

Ordering Note: Make sure you measure your disc or find out from land rover your exact disc size before ordering online. Even the D180 HSE has 325mm or 350mm front discs. (i found out the hard way lol)
Excellent write up and some great shots!👏

·
Registered
295 Posts
I agree. Nice write-up.

Did your mechanic make any comments about the caliper pistons or slide/guide pins?
That sort of wear maybe the result of something a little awry in the caliper assembly. (Other than the iffy steel used in OEM).
Keep an eye on whether those lovely shiny new ones have stripy wear patterns.
(I guess a good cleanup/lube during the replacement may have fixed that).

·
Registered
225 Posts

View attachment 5529
View attachment 5530

View attachment 5531
View attachment 5532

View attachment 5533

View attachment 5534

View attachment 5535

The OEM discs that Jaguar Land Rover fit are nothing short of disgusting! All 4 of mine were rusty when I purchased my Velar a year old with 10600 miles on the clock. The main dealer would not change them under warranty as they said that JLR would not pay them. I took it up with JLR so called Customer Services who informed me that rusty discs were not a safety issue and it was fair wear and tear and they would not discuss the matter further.I have just replaced all 4 with Brembo discs which look great through the wheels. I bought mine through Europarts but beware that there are subtle differences between the Velar models and the first front pair I had would not fit over the studs and I had to get them changed.My Discs and Pads cost Under £500 and a JLR technician fitted them for me for £50 so a good job all round.

Reactions: JDPRRUK
1 - 7 of 7 Posts