Range Rover Velar Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning All

A quick question.

I have a sim in the car at the moment but really can't see what it adds?

If I discontinue it what would I actually loose??

Rich

·
Registered
295 Posts
you Will loose access to traffic info on satnav plus weather and the ability to create a hotspot which guest could access via wifi

That's it basically.

You could get traffic info by sharing your data from your smartphone. Ut it isn't stable plus has to searched each time you start the car. Kinda of ennoying really

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ludo

How do get the traffic to use the phones data?

Rich

·
Registered
449 Posts
I believe you also loose the remote apps, since the car is offline. What about the emergency services? Why would anyone want this in such a premium car? Security? Costs? 🙄

·
Registered
79 Posts
Joe said:
I believe you also loose the remote apps, since the car is offline. What about the emergency services? Why would anyone want this in such a premium car? Security? Costs?
Maybe I've misunderstood your post but I think the emergency services work with the pre-installed SIM which cannot be removed.

The one that the OP is asking about is the user inserted one, which goes under the armrest.

In addition to what has been said above, I recently found that it also gives access to the news services (CNN) and the car can actually read headlines / full articles out to you in a robotic voice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
449 Posts
Probably there is a pre-installed SIM for emergency services, I'm not sure. There is an EU law in place that new cars need an emergency service system, though. So you're probably right.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Has anyone else noticed that it forgets your home network? I've added our local access point to the car (so it can connect when home) however I keep having to add it. Anyone else ?

·
Registered
295 Posts
velarbg said:
How to give 3G/4G from my smartphone to Velar navi etc?

For my country cars come without sim slot despite R Dynamic SE must have normally.
To give 3/4g from phone to velar you need to :
1/ share your data via Bluetooth on your phone (usually with a password)
2/ then choose your phone network in the WiFi menu on the velar.

It does work well however you will have to do this each time you take your car. Hence the sim is better

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.