Range Rover Velar Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now I have an order for the D300 but not sure whether I should change the order and get the P380.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I currently drive a Jaguar XJL wirh the 300 diesel engine. Massive torque and drives lovely.

Thing is we are fairly sure diesel is going to be hammered by the exchequer and now that the road tax is charged on price and not co2 I am going for the p380 for the sheer hell and fun of it!

Thing is I am a low miles driver so happy to live with the lower mpg.

As they tax the diesel more thiere won't be a lot in it anyway.

According to the dealer the petrol versions are very popular as they used and there value holds up very well.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The build configurator gives a near identical GFV after both 3 and 4 years of £44,500 on the First Edition.

This backs up what my dealer told me that the petrols depreciate the same as the diesels.

If we do get tax hikes on diesel the petrol could even fare better.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Has anyone driven both engines in the F-type by any chance? Price and Tax isn't the issue but what suits the car better. Coming from a BMW with the 4 cylinder petrol N20 so either engine would be a huge step up in power :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have owned the Fpace with the 3 Liter Diesel and the Fpace with the 3 Liter Petrol engines and can give you an idea from them two,

The 3 litre petrol is more fun to drive and is quicker to pick up from stand still and has a exhaust note that when you plant your foot you hear, if your driving is more around town and A roads then i would choose this all day long and with the issues of Diesels being brought to light more and more it may not be an issue as yet but in a few years when you come to resell the diesel unit could be an issue.

On the Diesel plus points, if your driving is motorway then the 3 litre diesel has great mid range pickup and is a pleasure to drive, it is not as quick low down as the petrol or as fun to drive around A roads but it does a great job of eating miles with little effort, it is also a lot quieter to drive as the exhaust it almost silent and another plus is you get a lot more miles per gallon if this is important to you, you need to remember you do need to drive the diesel some distance as around town the exhaust will not get upto temperature enough to do the diesel exhaust gas burn the car needs to do every so often, it does let you know on the dash that you need to drive for the car to achieve this otherwise the area on the exhaust where the particles collect will not clear and your need another trip to the dealer, your need to also factor in your need to visit the dealer to have the Ad Blue topped up if you do a lot of miles.

So A roads and around town - Petrol all day long.
Motorways and long distance driving - Diesel all day long

Hope this may help.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's the thing. I know I will be living in central London so a bunch of short distance driving but I also know I will be taking road trips on the weekends.

·
Registered
171 Posts
mge.92 said:
That's the thing. I know I will be living in central London so a bunch of short distance driving but I also know I will be taking road trips on the weekends.
Then i would go Petrol for sure, i use mine at times on the motorway and its fun to drive but around town in London your have a blast in the Petrol engine.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
JKVelarF1 said:
mge.92 said:
Then i would go Petrol for sure, i use mine at times on the motorway and its fun to drive but around town in London your have a blast in the Petrol engine.
Still on the fence lol. Want the power of the SC but the torque of the D and the mileage of the D . I guess I am still leaning towards the D but not sure since they want to put a diesel tax if you bring your car into London eventually.

·
Registered
727 Posts
IMHO nothing will happen to the new clean diesels...it's the older ones that are hard hit. With 700 Torques and a silky smooth 306 BHP engine that does over 34mpg around town it would be the 300D for me all day. I don't expect to see more than 22mpg on the 3.0 engine tbh.

My dealer has told me the highest number of orders they currently have are for 300Ds

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks VelarMan. This is all new to me since I am moving from New York to London and am used to 60p per litre premium petrol and can get away with 15mpg lol so moving to London with all the different rules and taxes and congestion zone fees and such its a big change.

A bit off topic: What is UK and Europes take on radar detectors and laser jammers? Anyone recommend one?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Velarman! Do cops in the UK use laser or radar guns?

·
Registered
171 Posts
mge.92 said:
JKVelarF1 said:
mge.92 said:
Still on the fence lol. Want the power of the SC but the torque of the D and the mileage of the D . I guess I am still leaning towards the D but not sure since they want to put a diesel tax if you bring your car into London eventually.
Unfortunately you can not have both, nice idea but then you would have no need for both engines if you could. :oops:

·
Registered
171 Posts
VelarMan said:
IMHO nothing will happen to the new clean diesels...it's the older ones that are hard hit. With 700 Torques and a silky smooth 306 BHP engine that does over 34mpg around town it would be the 300D for me all day. I don't expect to see more than 22mpg on the 3.0 engine tbh.

My dealer has told me the highest number of orders they currently have are for 300Ds
Its the same with the Fpace, there are tons and tons of 3 litre Diesel but the Petrol engines there are less and the Petrol engine versions are similar priced but due to the lack of them are demanding more money.

·
Registered
35 Posts
VelarMan said:

Mr Exchequer is bound to increase the tax on diesel as well as other measures so this will affect all diesels going forward.

If they hammer diesels too hard it could affect future values making petrol engines more of an appealing prospect.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just did the tax calculation and the 3.0 SC is going to be close to 2.5 times more in tax vs the Diesel plus the 2 grand extra for the petrol option to begin with.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts