Range Rover Velar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We collected our little beauty on the 1st of September with instructions only to wash and not polish the body work as we had arranged for a professional detailer to protect the car with Gtechniq Crystal Serum.

Unfortunately the detailer identified scratches on the bonnet and a significant patch of discoloured paint under the clear coat, further inspection using a paint depth indicator produced readings between 180 µm and 260 µm. This was significantly higher than the rest of the car showing around 130 µm suggesting the bonnet had been repaired prior to collection.

I notified the dealer and they were very sympathetic and asked me to provide pictures of the paint depth readings, they suggested we make an oppointment and visit their body shop for advice.
Again very polite and professional they confirmed the bonnet had been repaired at some point and relayed this information to their after sales department.

They apologised and suggested a replacement bonnet be painted and fitted at their approved body shop.
Unfortunately this doesn't seem very attractive to me at the moment, I'm not sure I would be content with a repaired brand new car.

After a conversation with the dealership head of business he has referred the matter to the Land Rover customer care and awaits their reply.

So my dilemma is am I being over cautious or should I just enjoy the car after it's repaired.
Or perhaps I consider rejecting before 30 days?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Had exactly the same scenario, went to collect my car only to find that the dealers valeting team had kindly put about 10 scratches down the doors and wing on the one side presumably when drying it!! Sent it to a detailer to get it sorted and they have now found that it may have been repaired prior to delivery as there is over-spray on the black contrast roof!! Do I get it re-detailed or reject it???👎

·
Registered
24 Posts
Like it said:
We collected our little beauty on the 1st of September with instructions only to wash and not polish the body work as we had arranged for a professional detailer to protect the car with Gtechniq Crystal Serum.

Unfortunately the detailer identified scratches on the bonnet and a significant patch of discoloured paint under the clear coat, further inspection using a paint depth indicator produced readings between 180 µm and 260 µm. This was significantly higher than the rest of the car showing around 130 µm suggesting the bonnet had been repaired prior to collection.

I notified the dealer and they were very sympathetic and asked me to provide pictures of the paint depth readings, they suggested we make an oppointment and visit their body shop for advice.
Again very polite and professional they confirmed the bonnet had been repaired at some point and relayed this information to their after sales department.

They apologised and suggested a replacement bonnet be painted and fitted at their approved body shop.
Unfortunately this doesn't seem very attractive to me at the moment, I'm not sure I would be content with a repaired brand new car.

After a conversation with the dealership head of business he has referred the matter to the Land Rover customer care and awaits their reply.

So my dilemma is am I being over cautious or should I just enjoy the car after it's repaired.
Or perhaps I consider rejecting before 30 days?
Personally I would reject and ask for a new build with some sort but f compensation, even with a new bonnet it won't be factory finish and have a different thickness and you risk batch discrepancies, if you did want to go down that route you could possibly ask for a bonnet to be swapped with another car of same colour at least that way you would get matching factory thickness

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update,
Every now and again JLR customer services and local dealers get a good bashing on various forms, but I can only refer to my own recent experience.

As I described above our car arrived with a significant paint defect, Lloyd Land Rover immediately recognise the issue and made various proposals to resolve it in house, however this all revolved around the vehicle being repaired and this didn't really appeal to me having splashed out £84k on a brand new motor car.

Within a couple of days and various polite conversations, I formally requested the car be rejected. Lloyds immediately referred this to JLR who made contact with me the following day it to discuss my request directly.

Again all discussions were courteous and polite with numerous apologies along the way and they very soon agreed to my rejection request. The slight stumbling block was the availability of a replacement FIrst Edition from stock vehicles, however our dealer identified one within a few weeks and we collected it on Sunday. :D

So I can only describe the service we received as excellent from both JLR and Lloyd Land Rover.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Good news spreads slowly in this world. I can not fault the sales guys especially Robin Angell at Marshall Land Rover Cambridge, the service team however......

1 - 6 of 6 Posts