Range Rover Velar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my first job after getting home with the Velar was to fit the dash cam and hardwire it into the fusebox in the passenger footwell.

1. Remove the kick plate. Pull it up slowly but firmly.
2. Pull the door seal away from the boot and up the side of the A pillar.
3. Remove the bonnet release lever. This is held in place by a small Torx screw.
4. Remove the screw at the front of the footwell panel that covers the fuse box. The screw is covered by the kick panel.
Automotive tire Hood Wheel Automotive design Grey

5. lift the panel up and forward, whilst all make sure the back clears where the bonnet release is.
6. now you have access to several bolts that can act as an earth point.
7. connect earth wire to bolt.
Audio equipment Gadget Electrical wiring Auto part Cable

8. Using a piggyback fuse holder plug into the fuse box. Fuses 6, 7, & 13 are all for the cubby/aux power sockets. I used slot 13 because it was empty as I have no front aux socket .
Rectangle Composite material Font Plastic Tints and shades

9. Run the power cable from the centre of the screen by tucking it into the headlining and then behind the A pillar panel and then behind the dash. It becomes very clear as you have already removed the door seal earlier.
10. Tuck excess cable into the void below the fuse box and slightly forward.
Audio equipment Gadget Electrical wiring Auto part Cable

11. As my power cable still has the cigarette lighter plug on it, then I used a female end to connect into the fuse box and earth point.
12. connect together and wrap with electrical tape to make sure that there is no chance of it coming apart. Then wrap some sponge around it so that it does not move or knock within the void.
Shoe Audio equipment Automotive tire Bicycle part Fender

13. Replace the side footwell panel in reverse . There is a little clip at the front top of the panel that ned to locate into the body. It becomes clear once you see it.
14. Replace door seal
15 Replace kick panel

The fuse slot I have used it powered when the car is unlocked and then powers down when the car is locked or after a few mins if the car is left unlocked. If you want a permanent feed then you will need to work it out, but slot 15 might be one.

Hope this of help to fellow members.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks for this, although I don't understand your instructions. How do you run the cable from the boot to the passenger footwell?

I tried to do this in my Sport and just gave up. In the end I ran a long USB to the 12V socket in the back and hid the cable.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Corris said:
Thanks for this, although I don't understand your instructions. How do you run the cable from the boot to the passenger footwell?

I tried to do this in my Sport and just gave up. In the end I ran a long USB to the 12V socket in the back and hid the cable.
I ran no cables from the boot. The dash cam is only front facing and I only needed ignition fed power from the footwell fuse box and an earth point.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Thanks for sharing this. Brave of you to trail blaze DIYing this. I'm sure others will follow your lead.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Installed my dashcam at the weekend, originally wanted to use the fuse-box in the boot area but found not very easy to get to !

Ended up using the 12v socket in the 2nd row to power my Cellink-B battery pack

But thanks to (makse) post i have now hardwired it to the front fuse box :D

Well happy & all the cables are well hidden now ! took 20 minutes to do the job

Thanks !

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No problem.

I had seen a few posts asking how things were done and knowing how LR generally assemble their cars it was an easy thing to do, and then put this together.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Corris said:
MBvelar said:
Ended up using the 12v socket in the 2nd row to power my Cellink-B battery pack
Does that mean your dashcam records all the time?
Yes dashcam is power via the cellink-B battery pack when parked !

Dashcam also switches into park-mode and records in time-lapse mode so should last for days

·
Registered
45 Posts
HI,

This looks like a great set of instructions, but i presume your hardwiring is a 2 wire kit?

I've got the Vicovation Power Plus kit, which is 3 wire, Battery + Accessory + Ground.

Following your guide that's 2 out of 3 (assuming that fuse 15 is always-on.), but where would you get the accessory from? from the Fuse 12, or should it be something else?

Cheers,

SiriX

·
Registered
569 Posts
makse said:
Well my first job after getting home with the Velar was to fit the dash cam and hardwire it into the fusebox in the passenger footwell.

1. Remove the kick plate. Pull it up slowly but firmly.
2. Pull the door seal away from the boot and up the side of the A pillar.
3. Remove the bonnet release lever. This is held in place by a small Torx screw.
4. Remove the screw at the front of the footwell panel that covers the fuse box. The screw is covered by the kick panel.
Screenshot 2018-07-31 at 22.16.20.png

5. lift the panel up and forward, whilst all make sure the back clears where the bonnet release is.
6. now you have access to several bolts that can act as an earth point.
7. connect earth wire to bolt.
Screenshot 2018-07-31 at 22.19.18.png

8. Using a piggyback fuse holder plug into the fuse box. Fuses 6, 7, & 13 are all for the cubby/aux power sockets. I used slot 13 because it was empty as I have no front aux socket .
Screenshot 2018-07-31 at 22.22.32.png

9. Run the power cable from the centre of the screen by tucking it into the headlining and then behind the A pillar panel and then behind the dash. It becomes very clear as you have already removed the door seal earlier.
10. Tuck excess cable into the void below the fuse box and slightly forward.
Screenshot 2018-07-31 at 22.19.18.png

11. As my power cable still has the cigarette lighter plug on it, then I used a female end to connect into the fuse box and earth point.
12. connect together and wrap with electrical tape to make sure that there is no chance of it coming apart. Then wrap some sponge around it so that it does not move or knock within the void.
Screenshot 2018-07-31 at 22.26.18.png

13. Replace the side footwell panel in reverse . There is a little clip at the front top of the panel that ned to locate into the body. It becomes clear once you see it.
14. Replace door seal
15 Replace kick panel

The fuse slot I have used it powered when the car is unlocked and then powers down when the car is locked or after a few mins if the car is left unlocked. If you want a permanent feed then you will need to work it out, but slot 15 might be one.

Hope this of help to fellow members.
Very helpful cheers,

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks for the how to, very useful. Do you know which of the fuses has constant power? I have a blackvue with parking mode and it needs one constant power connection.
There is a 20A fuse labeled "Keyless Entry Antenna", is that always on or only when pressing the door handle button?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Berta said:
Any news on the "constant power connection" ?
Is it OK to use the Keyless Entry Antenna fuse or should I take an other one ?
Hi did you manage to get confirmation on which fuse to use for the parking mode cable? I would love to know as I'm fitting mine soon.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I used the top left fuse in passenger fuse box, I used a piggy back fuse

1 - 20 of 21 Posts