Range Rover Velar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

After enjoying a D3 for 10 years and a D4 for the last 2 it's time for change.
We waited for the new Discovery to be released, booked a test drive and built our model on line.
Unfortunately we came across the new Velar and the rest is history, we are now officially financially embarrassed!
1st edition ordered in Corris due early September.
But the SWMBO doesn't know much it's costing just yet, I've got all summer to be on my best behaviour and complete all the jobs around the house before she finds out :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
Are you going for the petrol or diesel?

Like you i am seriously considering breaking the bank to go for a FE (petrol).

The residual values hold up well but still a grand a month! Only live once!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Diesel for us, I'd be frightened to look at the fuel gauge otherwise.
It's a shame the smaller petrol engine isn't available across the range. But with all the bad press diesels are attracting it makes things a little uncertain.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I am a low mileage user and mostly for good length trips so petrol shouldn't be too bad. Most journeys are 50 miles so anywhere near 27/28mpg would be ok.

It is all the negativity re diesels that is pushing me this way (that and the 0-60 of 5.3 secs!).

I'm sure Mr Hammond will be looking at increasing the tax differential on diesel now that he has a 2billion hole to fill. Us motorists are easy prey!.

·
Registered
125 Posts
So glad to see this back-and-forth about spending £85K. I thought I was the only one, and the only one who was slightly embarrassed! Glad there are other mentally excited, wishing-the-summer away guys out there too!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have may demons about possibly spending that much but am trying to kid myself that it is only 1k a month!!

It really does look good though, doesn't it!

Will know more when I return from Solihull on 1/4/17 for a free factory tour and to see it in the flesh.

·
Registered
125 Posts
It is stunning...just you wait and see. I'm lucky to have sat in it after the London launch and will be visiting Solihull just before you on the 29th. It has an impact like few cars have had over 30 years of motoring ownership.

Please explain the reference to £1000 a month?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Ah, right. That's like a finance thing? Thanks.

F-Pace? That's just another kind of generic SUV you see on the roads all the time. They always seem to be in super bright colours favoured by some of us Brits ( you just dont see this in Germany for example) - weird electric blues and reds. I call them Vauxhall colours!

No, seriously, the Velar is right out of that league. Especially the FEdition. Admittedly it should be for this price but, nonetheless, the design, quality of the engineering and charisma of the vehicle lifts it to a new level. I've never had the full-fat RR, being in my head a bit of a tank, but I love the size of the Velar. As long as it drives well, handles well, and is reliable, then I'm super happy to spend the money. Bearing in mind £84K would get you almost 2 Porsche 718 Caymans, or 2 nearly new BMW X5s, or the new 5 Series Touring in its most desirable spec and still leave you with £20K change, it has lots to prove. Yet, it grips me as a 3-4 year keeper like none of these cars.

Hope and expect you will feel the same.

·
Registered
35 Posts
A fully spec'd up FPace S costs £71k and has nowhere near the kit of the Velar FE.

Due to the far better residuals on the Velar the monthly payment is cheaper than that of the F Pace.

Not sure why the residual difference is so much coming from the same manufacturer.

I know what I would rather have.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

I would like to introduce myself, I'm ben and I currently drive a sportbrake but looking to upgrade to a Velar. Originally my heart was set on the F pace then i saw the Velar, no need to elaborate..
I want to put a deposit down to reserve a build slot for the Velar, (base spec 2.0 diesel with a few options added) but as it's such a new car the finance companies (apart from JLR themselves) have yet to list the Velar in their PCP offerings. Using my Lloyds online car finance, I can do (what i believe to be) an equivalent PCP check on a range rover sport. The GMFV is huge so obviously rated highly, yet the same price F pace is more expensive as the GMFV is a lot less.
In all your expert opinions am i right in thinking the PCP on a Velar when offered will be near enough to that of a RRS? And is it a gamble to reserve a car which i've yet to get a PCP quote on?! I've been using the JLR finance quotes as the worst case scenario at 6.9%. On the RRS, Evoque, F Pace the Lloyds APR is 4.5%

Any opinions welcome!

Thanks, Ben

·
Registered
35 Posts
I used the Land Rove finance quote on the build page.

It came up with a 4year residual of £38875 on a FE costing £86k. These are LR's own numbers. Try it for yourself and let us know your findings.

I doubt third party finance companies will give quite as much but it won't be far off.

Sure makes the F Pace seem poor value!

·
Administrator
142 Posts
ben_s said:
Hi,

I would like to introduce myself, I'm ben and I currently drive a sportbrake but looking to upgrade to a Velar. Originally my heart was set on the F pace then i saw the Velar, no need to elaborate..
I want to put a deposit down to reserve a build slot for the Velar, (base spec 2.0 diesel with a few options added) but as it's such a new car the finance companies (apart from JLR themselves) have yet to list the Velar in their PCP offerings. Using my Lloyds online car finance, I can do (what i believe to be) an equivalent PCP check on a range rover sport. The GMFV is huge so obviously rated highly, yet the same price F pace is more expensive as the GMFV is a lot less.
In all your expert opinions am i right in thinking the PCP on a Velar when offered will be near enough to that of a RRS? And is it a gamble to reserve a car which i've yet to get a PCP quote on?! I've been using the JLR finance quotes as the worst case scenario at 6.9%. On the RRS, Evoque, F Pace the Lloyds APR is 4.5%

Any opinions welcome!

Thanks, Ben
If you put down a deposit now to reserve a car you'll usually have no problem getting it back if when the final figures are released you're not happy.

It looks like the Velar is going to be in heavy demand on launch so I would expect the dealer to easily be able to sell 'your' built slot on.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Yes, I had a good day there yesterday. I won't ruin the surprise by putting on line any pics yet as you will see everything for yourself.
It was most interesting for me to compare the colours available for the First Editon: Corris grey, Silicon silver and the slightly drug dealerish Flux Silver (although it IS spectacular in the flesh). I had settled on Silicon Silver as I said elsewhere, but it turns out to actually be a green sliver which, I think, looks unattractive. This morning I've changed my order to Corris, the second most popular LR colour after Black.
The car is as beautiful as the first time I saw it at launch in London. It exudes glamour, quality and above all innovation. It relegates every other SUV to a has-been, and this particularly includes the now very old fashioned looking RR Sports, which frankly looks like an old git compared to its modern sibling.
I suppose the only tiny negative was that it looks much smaller out on the road than in a studio setting (there were several driving by us during the tour within the factory grounds). It really is a junior size compared to the RRS and, I suspect in the wrong colour - any very dark colour for example - will seem even smaller. That said, it is stunning and filled with new ideas and gadgets. Lets just all of us PRAY that it handles well, is reliable and is a handed over without any of the normal LR niggles. The reps there told us the R-Dynamic is already predicted to hold 64% of its value over the first 3 years of ownership, with the FEdition not far behind in the upper 50s. So, even a punt on this new model should protect those of us doing just that.
Enjoy your day and remember to sit in it with the door next to you closed....that way you will get the full effect of the superb driving position and the feeling of incredible pleasure that, one day, you will be driving one down the road.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm new to the Land Rover world and have been an Audi TT fan for the last 2 years
After so many complaints from friends and family I decided to venture into the LR showroom in a Lewes. I know it's Sabline to rediculas but I fell in love with the new discovery. Placed my order for the HSE at mear £62k. 5 days later stumbled across the Velar on line and changed my mind and switched my order - even without seeing her in the flesh. Oh I have omitted to say I changed the discovery order 8 times and drove the poor salesman mad ( Peter ) with my indecisions but felt I had made the right choice as "did I really need a 7 seater beast" compared to what I was used to with a TT that took 2 medium size adults under 6' and a midget in the back !!!!! Obviously I've amended my Velar order a few times now but happy with what I've finally gone for. The R-Dynamic SE D240 in Kaikoure Stone with additional Air suspension and 22" Wheels.
Now all I have to do is sit back and wait till September for it to arrive. I've now promised the garage I will not make any change as it was driving me mad with indicisions and obviously the poor sales guy.
BUT! .........! After reading some posts on Twitter saying it's much smaller then expected, pictures are nothing in the flesh compared to the design museum launch, added to a comment that the finish inside was lower quality with a lot of plastic compared to the Discovery HSE all makes me think I should switch back to the New Discovery !!!!! I wish I had never read the reviews and seriously think I need locking up !!! I'm going to view the Velar tomorrow in Canary Wharf with my daughter and pray to god I'm going to love it. If it's not up to expectation it looks like another call to poor Peter in Lewes :eek:(
Is there anybody else as bad as me I wonder !!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Indecision is not unusual with these LR products. Look on any of the other LR forums and you will read a lot of similar postings.

Concerns about how the car looks, trim & spec issues regarding materials quality mean I'm quite happy holding off on any purchase until this time next year, I went through all of that angst with the Evoque.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts