Range Rover Velar Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after collecting my new velar last week. I sent it to a friend to be detailed

I deliclined the offer of having the Autoglym package at £500! However I was told the car had been 'Autoglym''d' by the dealership anyway as a thank you for buying the car from stock at no cost.

Jake (the detailer) told me that it was one of the worst cars he had seen from a car with only 11miles on the ODM. He took a few pictures of some of the more affected areas, which I'll post. He also noticed masking tape lines on the rear spoiler which points to something not being right.

Should I go to my dealer and ask if this is acceptable for a car worth 65k? Swirl marks, scratches and tape lines? He tells me he sees it a lot, on new cars where the valeters struggle to keep up with all the PDI's

Thoughts please.

The finish that I have now is stunning, but should I be spending more money on a product that should be right the first time!!

May need to zoom in on some of the pics to see how bad the bodywork was

Mark

Attachments

·
Registered
558 Posts
Happened countless times at my dealer over the past 3 cars, each time they have paid for a full paint correction, one particular car was done 3 times each time after warranty work even though I specifically asked for them not to wash it. They used mop and buckets.

This time I am having my detailer go to prepare the car which the dealer is paying for as they know I'm a little OCD about it. It is then booked if for full prep and ceramic application.

I would speak to the dealer insist on reimbursement and badger them into submission, it amazed me when I saw how they treat even the top spec FFRR. Over the previous 3 cars it cost Marshall LR in excess of £2.5k. I would never have any dealer of any brand prepare my car, or wash it as part of the service. To fully prepare a car to exacting standards it's a good couple of days work.

·
Registered
558 Posts
It sounds to me as if the dealer knew there was an issue, hence the "free" autoglym polish up. Autoglym is full of fillers so looks good until it rains or the car is washed

·
Registered
51 Posts
wow. Its terrible to see that.
I have to say my Velar was the most perfectly cleaned and waxed new car I had ever received from any dealer - it looked amazing when i picked mine up.
Hopefully you are able to work something out with the dealer.

·
Registered
727 Posts
The swirls etc were not there when the car left the factory - this has happened when the dealer applied the Autoglym! The dealers car cleaners (would be an insult to valeters to call them this!) have no idea how to wash a car and are usually folk employed on minimum wage!

You just need to watch them wash a car to pretty much get a heart attack - they use one bucket and one cleaning mitt - the same mitt on the underside of the car, rinse, same mit on the wheels, wash and then the same mitt on the bodywork - wash! The end result is grit from the underside of the car and wheels being dragged all across the bodywork - they then seal these swirls with the Autoglym! The paint looks great when you go and pick up the car but then when under lights or in direct sunlight you can see the carnage!

My dealer is STRICTLY told not to ever clean my car - they once did even though I told them not to and they had to stump up £800 for paint correction. I suggest you send the invoice to your dealer for the paint correction required..

TBH most hand car washes are the same they have no idea on how to clean cars using the 2 bucket method which is the correct way to wash a car:

·
Registered
558 Posts
auto car wash? I cannot see anything resembling that.

what I believe you can see is the chap workshop

·
Registered
51 Posts
I never let the dealers touch my cars, even when they go in for a service and the dealer says "Do you want a free wash 'n' vac?"
Every new car I've had, including my Velar which is due next week, I always have my detailer go to the dealership and complete the prep work. Even when they put the car in the showroom for me to collect, again I insist that my detailer is present and he is the ONLY one to touch the car.

I remember once collecting a car. Might have been a Mercedes. And as mentioned above I have my detailer sort the etc.. he pulled it into the showroom for the sales guy, when my guy left it, one of Mercedes 'Valet' guys decides to rub what I'd say a dirty cloth he used for all the cars in the showroom all over it! To say I sprouted another head is an understatement!

Like VelarMan said, these cars don't leave the factory like this. My Dad works at the plant in Solihull, and the things these guys have to wear to make sure they don't scratch the cars, the amount of work and effort so no marks occur is ridiculous.

Remember folks, never let the dealer touch the paint work on your car, or you might as well give them a hand full of grit and ask them to rub it in.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts