Votes: 13 27.1%
  • <t>P380</t>

Votes: 6 12.5%
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With these new announcements on taxing diesel more and introducing extra charges for diesel cars, has that made you alter your engine choice?

·
Registered
727 Posts
Good poll - I was thinking about doing this today you beat me to it :)

D300 all the way - a bit of tax (if it ever happens) is fine in consideration of the peach of a 3.0d engine with 700 Torques and 300 BHP and 40mpg! No brainer! Anything less than the P380 or D300 do not get the lovely looking square exhausts either!

For now though there was a great article in autocar a few weeks ago and it talked about all the scare mongering going on against diesels and how it was pointless. It's only speculation for now as only the older diesels have been hard hit. No plans as yet for hitting new cleaner diesels with any additional penalties.

Good reading especially the last bit - Do's and Don'ts - I think this is really balanced view based on the facts to counteract the crap that is being spread around by media and online that a lot of gullible people are believing!!

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/insight-it-time-give-diesel-engine

·
Registered
727 Posts
OK so this morning I actually changed my order to a D300 Launch Edition! The reason for this was that the car I had spec'd came up to £78k and the launch edition was £83k - for £5k I was getting so much more on the car with not a lot more per month on PCP! It made a lot of sense as the residuals were much higher on the LE cars.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Congrats VelarMan! Would have gone with FE but hate the Interior choice. Shame you couldn't have an option in that department.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Thanks - I don't mind the interior to be honest it was my first choice (was going with Blue but changed my mind!) but I would have liked to have a white car with black pack. With the FE I can't even get a black pack unless I get their body shop to do it...strange restrictions on the spec. The ordering process is apparently different too with a personal person assigned to you at Sollihull!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
VelarMan, quick question, what do you mean a personal person assigned to you at Sollihull?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Does anyone have any details on the new petrol engine which JLR are planning to release in July? I'm looking for a 2.0-litre petrol but I would also like air suspension and unfortunately this is not available on the current P250.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Could be a hybrid?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't think it would be a 3.0 petrol but the P250 with the hybrid tech which is supposed to be launched in the updated range rover sport as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
Rather like the recently replaced infotainment set-up - which relegates all second hand RR/RRS without it to 2nd class for re-sale - the current Ford diesel V6 engines will be replaced in due course. This will likely be in 2018/19. Similarly therefore, and there is nothing we can do about this, our own early model RR Velar D300 models will also find themselves in the cheap seats for re-sale in the future. JLR have no current equivalent for the 3 litre Porsche/Audi/VW Bi-Turbo diesel engine which, for example, powers an A6 or Macan from 0-60 in just over 5 seconds, making them faster over the same distance than an 993 model 911 (see YouTube).
If we want our cars now then we shall just have to take this on the chin, no whingeing. JLR simply haven't kept up over previous years in terms of engine technology, preferring to invest funds in providing Downton Abbey-esque vehicles rather than those favoured by the cast of Hollyoaks.
Of the nearly 30 orders taken by my Devon dealer for Velar only 2 are Petrol. Maybe its a country thing (as opposed to a townie one) but there can be no doubt diesel will be favoured over petrol for many years to come therefore. Its a foolhardy government which legislates against modern diesel cars without years of warning beforehand; imagine the voters backlash if they did?
So, there really isn't any choice. If you want strong residuals, at least until the new V6 engine appears, go for the D300 (but sell early enough to avoid the imminent and inevitable release of the new V6 diesel engine). In most cases diesel over petrol is a no brainer and those kidding themselves otherwise are simply setting themselves up for a big disappointment when it comes to re-sale.
Finally, and pretty soon, it won't be the diesel/petrol debate we are all having but the diesel/hybrid one. That is the future.
Enough said.

·
Registered
5 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
FastLaneJB said:
Should know more about the new 6 cylinder engines this year and they are straight 6's with a lot more power in the max configuration.

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/spy-shots/jaguar/jaguar-land-rover-readies-ingenium-straight-six-for-launch-in-20171/

The rumours suggest the SVR Velar will have the normal 5 litre V8 but the top spec 6 cylinder would be good enough if it's ready in time. Likely a lot better fuel economy and close to same power.
Already available on the Fpace and others i am sure as this link was an old 2016 review.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts