Range Rover Velar Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen people posting about their Velars being ultra quiet, but has anyone else experienced creaks and rattles coming from the doors? This isn't uncommon with Euro cars (BMWs are especially prone to it), so I'm not mad about it, but I do want to try to solve it.

At high speeds the car is extremely quiet and glides over imperfections in the road. At low speeds, on bumpy roads, I hear creaks and rattles all over the place..sounds like it's all coming from the doors and hatch. My first thought is that it's the door seals. That's typically the source of these noises on BMWs/Mercedes/etc. I ordered some gummi pflege lubricant (amazon...favorite of the BMW community) and I'm going to clean all the seals and apply it regularly to see if that helps.

My other thought is that it could be the retractable door handles. They're pretty loose by design. I turned up a bass heavy song and stood outside of my car to see if I could determine any exterior trim rattles, and the door handles were rattling. No other exterior trim was. If they rattle from bass, they could rattle from vibrations caused by the road.

I can't be the only person with this...its too prominent. It's worth noting that this wasn't noticeable when I first took delivery...seems to be worsening over time. I do think it's just the door seals that are visibly dry and dusty right now. I'll update once I lubricate them.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Mine was completely silent for several weeks. And I would even turn the music down and have a listen. Slowly I'm starting to hear a few things. one is a clicking type of rattle coming from the moveable arm rests or the storage cubby or something. Not sure if it's some objects inside (doubtful) or the arm rests because if I shift them around a bit it seems to go away.

One time my drivers door was making some noises and when stopped I opened the door and shut it again and it was silent again -- so yes that might have also been a result of the seal.

Unfortunately I have to drive over a bumpy road every single day and hit a few potholes too. I'm pretty sure this thing will start rattling more. My 2010 Sport also got creakier over time. Especially the sunroom and dashboard panels and I just learned to ignore it. But I think my brain got reset by starting off with this silent Velar. We had a Mini Cooper that was horrendous for this. the rattle and squeaks were so bad it felt like a bucket of bolts. I would guess some cars are better at keeping the creaks away and some are definitely worse. My wife's 2014 Audi SQ5 has some rattles now and it used to silent. I guess I sort of expect it eventually.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Apparently we need to buy Rolls-Royces to prevent this, because everything this side of 400k rattles :lol:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been having the same issue with rattles which are now persistent and increasing. The most persistent and prominent one sounding like it's coming from the upper dashboard on the left-hand drive side.

Since delivery in December, I really haven't driven the vehicle all that much. Just turned 2,000 miles. So far most driving has been short distance in the city with a couple longer trips to the mountains. Planning to take it in soon for some attention on this and a relatively short list of other issues.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine had a rattle in the passenger door speaker when music was played. It sounded l8ke the speaker was blown, but apparently something was just loose. Fixed now.

Of more concern is the rattle from the rear passenger door. Having sat in the back whilst the mrs drove it seemed to be coming from the window. When fully up it rattles in its frame. With slight pressure from one knuckle pressing on the glass it stops. When wound down slightly it stops. Dealer reckons they have had a look and can find nothing. It also much more rarely happens from the driver door window. Both are cured, temporarily by winding the window down then back up. Does anyone else have this...if you have an unidentified rattle try the above...i'd be interested to know if yours is the same.

·
Registered
79 Posts
1981Linley said:
Mine had a rattle in the passenger door speaker when music was played. It sounded l8ke the speaker was blown, but apparently something was just loose. Fixed now.

Of more concern is the rattle from the rear passenger door. Having sat in the back whilst the mrs drove it seemed to be coming from the window. When fully up it rattles in its frame. With slight pressure from one knuckle pressing on the glass it stops. When wound down slightly it stops. Dealer reckons they have had a look and can find nothing. It also much more rarely happens from the driver door window. Both are cured, temporarily by winding the window down then back up. Does anyone else have this...if you have an unidentified rattle try the above...i'd be interested to know if yours is the same.
Same here with the driver window. It seems, that changing temperatures have influence as well. Winding down does not cure for the moment. Rattles and creaks are the most hated things I could think of.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a major rattle on the driver's window over bumpy roads. I took my Velar in for something else and mentioned it - the service guy immediately knew what I was on about saying he also had it in his Velar. We both spoke to the mechanic who said he would see what he could do....and then reported back he couldn't find anything. I took a courtesy car away for the day while he was doing that and surprise, surprise the courtesy car had the rattle on the driver's window too!! This seems like a general fault to me. Sometimes winding the window down and back up fixes it, other times it doesn't. Such a shame as I love my Velar in some many other ways........

·
Registered
2 Posts
Guys,
I have similar problem. I've manager to record it, from 6th second you can hear creaky noise.. been 3 times already at the dealer and no success in fixing it.
Velar has 1100 miles only and got it in Dec 2020. Love that car but that noise drives me nuts:)
Have a video that could add here however not sure how to add it.. tried via attachment but did not allow me (maybe file too large?)

·
Registered
2 Posts
For those who continue to have this issue..
i have managed to find a solution to my problem:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10157139-9999.pdf

This helped me with a rattle in a driver (left in my case) side.
Good luck!
Now hearing something on the other side however not so bad as the first one.. will see overtime if i decide to go for the 5th time to a dealer, this time with other sound;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.