Range Rover Velar Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was reading the post lower down so thought I'd start a specific one;

Arianne can you tell me how the fix went for you?

Is it liveable now - I have a D300 on 22s and I can hear the "noise" up to about 25mph and then it becomes inaudible whilst in drive.

Its like a rotational noise right, with the speed of the vehicle?

Also you listed this: JTB00577 as the technical fix - was this a Jag or a Land Rover fix?

Does anyone know if its damaging the car at all? Or is it just a noise.

Thanks in advance.

DM

P.S.; Anyone else with the issue feel free to chime in.

·
Registered
421 Posts
From the service actions there have not been any updates regarding the issue with 22" but there is a service action for rear bushings if you look at the service thread it should be on there.

·
Registered
31 Posts
It is not fixed on FP's either I am afraid. My first one was rejected in Nov 16, my second rejection in Mar 17 for the same issue, that is how long they have known about it with no fix yet, so no breath holding here for Velar fix I am afraid

·
Registered
482 Posts
I rejected our March 2017 Jaguar F-Pace due to this issue only to find that my RR Velar D300 has the same fault. As far as I can tell it only affects V6 diesel variants.

A resonance through the half-shaft is magnified from the wheel such that there is a rotational cyclical noise which can be heard when wind, engine and road noise is low - when speed is below 25mph especially when power is applied and maybe when the wheels are off centre to turn slightly.

22" rims magnify the noise more than 21" rims. As the rim size reduces the noise reduces to a level where it is inaudible. We know this because my dealer tested this earlier in the year. The larger wheels are heavier and this may be part of the reason for the variation in the noise levels between cars.

The Jaguar F-Pace has a revised half-shaft bracket which some dealers have been fitting. I have been in contact with one F-Pace owner who as had this problem and whose dealer has applied the new part. Initially he thought the noise had disappeared but, after a while because he was previously very aware of the noise, he detected it again. However, it was very feignt. That owner took the decision that he loved his F-Pace, which is easy to understand because it is a great car, and so he is going to keep it. The noise is now almost indistinguishable and he told me that he has decided his F-Pace is the best it can be and he will now press on to enjoy his car.

Meanwhile, my Velar emerged last weekend from four weeks in the workshop. My car runs on 21" rims. It has the same noise but, compared to my rejected Jaguar on 22" rims, the sound is very feignt. I took the view that, having spent £70k and with a Land Rover badge on it, the threshold for what represents an acceptable threshold of quality should be very high.

Fortunately for me, my dealer and JLR both agreed. They took some audio recordings of the sound, confirmed that it is the same issue and then tested the Revised bracket on some Velars that they had at the factory. They then wrote to me and confirmed that a similar revised part would be applied to my Velar but that, because of the bureaucracy of the process (common in any complex, big corporation), there would be a delay before the revised bracket could be released to my dealer and applied to my car.

JLR put this in writing to me, have promised me that the issue will be resolved and we have come to an agreement. I think they have been very fair and reasonable. We love our Velar and, like the F-Pace owner mentioned earlier, we have our car back and we are enjoying her immensely. She now is running full winter Michelin Latitude Alpin tyres in readiness for our trip to Austria for skiing.

The odd thing is that, having sold thousands of V6 diesel Velars and F-Pace cars, only a tiny number of owners have reported the issue on the forums. Plenty have been alerted to the issue as the threads have been viewed extensively. But it has happened twice to me! Statistically I must either be very unfortunate or other drivers don't have such acute hearing (I do have acute hearing as it happens and I am a perfectionist as well as an idealist).

Is it dangerous? I don't think so otherwise JLR would have taken a different approach. They know our car is shortly going to be zooming along unrestricted Autobahn at up to 130mph with a full load for many, many miles. We have discussed this.

Will the issue cause premature failure? I certainly hope not but I have the manufacturer's warranty, an audit trail and so there isn't huge wriggle room for JLR if the half-shaft or bearings on that wheel fail before the others.

And finally, if they are consistent in the way we have been treated this year, I would expect JLR and my dealer to be reasonable and constructive if the issue became acute in the future. This is business, we have been very businesslike and we have our own mini-version of a Brexit agreement thrashed out between us!

If you have 22" rims perhaps your noise is louder than mine. But, in the end, we decided to stick with our Velar because (a) we couldn't think of a car we would prefer to own, (b) the dealer and JLR handled it very well and to our satisfaction and (c) we have had enough of constantly changing our cars and want to enter 2018 with a car we own and love.

I hope this helps. JLR Customer Relations Centre is who you should contact if you are affected by this, ask for Amelia, mention this post and she will help you from there.

All the best.

Arianne

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Arianne,

Thanks for that in-depth writeup.

Is this fault simply a resonance issue - IE no long term damage will come to any components due to the current issue we both seem to be having?

The noise is annoying once you've heard it so will see - are there any Land Rover fault topics yet for this as all the ones mentioned so far seem to be Jaguar ones?

It's a bit sub par for a vehicle in this market segment but then again it's JLR through and through really lol.

Thanks again.

Dm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
482 Posts
DangerMouseUK said:
Hi Arianne,

Thanks for that in-depth writeup.

Is this fault simply a resonance issue - IE no long term damage will come to any components due to the current issue we both seem to be having?"..............

.............. Thanks again.

Dm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In all truth? I don't know.

Back in early 2017, I had been in touch with the owner of two F-Pace cars which he had rejected and his dealer (Harwoods Crawley). They both explained that it appeared the problem was being caused by a tiny difference between the CAD drawings and the manufacturing in that the drive shaft wasn't entering the wheel hub at the precise angle. This in turn was placing stress on the bearings which were generating the noise. The wheel then magnified that noise.

Whether this has turned out to be the explanation or not I cannot say with certainty. But I do believe that, on the basis of probabilty, something somewhere in the driveline is under stress and that cannot be good news. But tracing the cause of such noise is complex. I don't purport to understand it all. Which is why, in my previous post, I referenced the warranty and the audit trail of communication between myself and the dealer / JLR.

I couldn't live with the noise when I had the car with 22" wheels. It really annoyed me and would be the talking point of my friends when I gave them a lift to football. You don't spend £'000 and then find that the topic of conversation is the fault with the car rather than the car itself! But on my Velar's 21" rims the noise is hushed. It's there but doesn't bother me and others can't hear it unless they are driving and I point it out to them.

The topix technical updates on the Jaguar might as well be written for the Velar. It sums up perfectly what is happening and the remedy.

Regards,

Arianne

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Arianne,

Thanks for that - it is quite faint on my car but any potential long term mechanical damage that the fault is doing to the vehicle is obviously something I'm not going to be happy about.

Will get in touch with my dealership and go from there really - and as you say as long as there is an audit trail and the fact that JLR are usually quite a reasonable company to deal with - we should be ok.

Concerning really - had a few other quibbles regarding the inControl Pro Duo system and USB audio and other small bits and bobs here and there - typical JLR stuff really - but this one is quite a show stopper/concerning.

Will see how it plays out and go from there - thanks for all the extra details.

Also Re. the tech updates - yes they are quite in-depth apparently but they're all only on the Jaguar systems and nothing is on the Land Rover systems at all yet.

Thanks
DM

·
Registered
31 Posts
^ no that is not the noise, although that would drive me insane, I assume you are going a decent speed?

The driveshaft noise is heard at small speeds, traffic light pull offs for example, especially if the window is open.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Noise that I recorded is not speed dependent. In the two excerpts, I am driving at 40-70kph but it can also be heard at lower speeds.
It can also be heard if I turn off the engine and let the car roll on neutral gear.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The original driveshaft noise is generally below 25mph, nothing above as engine noise drowns it out, more like whoop whoop whoop noise as the driveshaft turns. However if you say you can hear it in neutral rolling, maybe it is the same, hard to tell as always.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Piers said:
The original driveshaft noise is generally below 25mph, nothing above as engine noise drowns it out, more like whoop whoop whoop noise as the driveshaft turns. However if you say you can hear it in neutral rolling, maybe it is the same, hard to tell as always.
This - its mainly heard below 25mph - the noise you've got needs a dealership ASAP I guess !

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, just to share my driveshaft experience with this thread. My D300 (on 21" rims) has 19k miles on it. Chafing noise audible at low speed (<30mph). The frequency of the noise is proportional to speed. The day I it take it to the dealer, (Stratstone Sunderland) it's a good as gold. No noise whatsoever.

I was expecting a "no fault found" diagnosis. When I collected it, the service receptionist advised: Known fault with drive shaft support bracket. We've ordered quite a lot of parts. Back in at the end of the month. I'll update in due course.

Tech report refers to bulletin LTB01184v2

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have 2018 d300 hse R Dynamic with 22" wheels. The rotational grinding noise at low speed is driving me nuts. The vehicle is currently at the dealership and will see what they come up with - but, wow, I really had to go some way to prove that it want simply my imagination. Low speed, gentle power and it's as clear as a bell.
More interestingly, they gave me a 180 velar, 19" wheels as a courtesy car whilst they look at my d300 - same noise, same problem - oh dear - just when I thought I would upgrade to a supercharged. Will keep you posted

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.