1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Velar P550 SV AutoBiography
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

Two issues with my P550.

1. If I boot it hard I get a smell of exhaust gas in the cockpit that then dissipates after a couple of minutes

2. The exhaust flap button does nothing at all. No audible difference at all.

Been to LR 3 times now for the flaps and they say the flaps are working fine. The smell they say they have adjusted the tailpipes and I pick it up in an hour so we will see.

·
Super Moderator
428 Posts
Let us know how you get on

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I got it back.

1. The issue with the sat nav and general delay in all the software is now fixed. They wiped it and reinstalled it all.

2. The flaps not working they say there was nothing wrong but now they do work. You can only hear a difference at certain revs.

3. The exhaust gas smell in the cockpit if I rag it hard for 30 secs is much less than it was but still present. They say it happens on all models! They say they took the tailgate off and realigned it and also realigned the tailpipes. I've never had a car that gets exhaust fumes inside no matter how hard I rag it. Driving normally is fine so ill just live with it even though I find it odd they suggest it's normal on SVrs

·
Registered
110 Posts
I mean...it's an exhaust leak isn't it. If the exhaust gases were exiting via the tailpipe you wouldn't smell anything at all. So some aren't, they're exiting in the engine bay somewhere, exclusively under higher pressure when the engine is stressed and then you're breathing in cancer while in the cabin. Get a recording carbon monoxide and particulate detector, get some data and put it to JLR. And then report it to your local consumer safety agency.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I mean...it's an exhaust leak isn't it. If the exhaust gases were exiting via the tailpipe you wouldn't smell anything at all. So some aren't, they're exiting in the engine bay somewhere, exclusively under higher pressure when the engine is stressed and then you're breathing in cancer while in the cabin. Get a recording carbon monoxide and particulate detector, get some data and put it to JLR. And then report it to your local consumer safety agency.
These are my thoughts exactly. But I'm in Dubai and sometimes these things get lost in translation :) My point to them is that NO car should be able to smell exhaust gasses in the cabin at any time. I've never come across this before ever in any car I've owned.

He did say that if the exhaust was leaking it would show up on the 02 sensor?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Ok...couple things
1. Are you smelling exhaust (smoke) or fuel? If it's fuel the air/fuel mixture may be rich and be dumping raw petrol into the manifold.
2. If it's exhaust (smoke) you're smelling, it is accompanied by an unusual sound like abnormal rumbling or rattling?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh it's defo exhaust gas with a cat smell to it. I'm going to take it to an independent for a second opinion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts