Range Rover Velar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spotted this folks from the F-Pace forum: https://www.fpaceforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3540

We ordered two Faraday Cage bags today. A small price to pay for peace of mind and to help protect our Velar from being pinched!

A dreadful experience for the F-Pace forum member. Thought it would be useful for us here on the sister forum.

Arianne

·
Registered
74 Posts
It seems that it can not happen with the Velar, you can not add a key remotely , you have to change the controller.
So even if somebody steal your signal , he can not emulate a new key.
Anyway a faraday cage can not hurt ...

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
peterd said:
It seems that it can not happen with the Velar, you can not add a key remotely , you have to change the controller.
So even if somebody steal your signal , he can not emulate a new key.
Anyway a faraday cage can not hurt ...
The F-Pace keyless entry system and fobs are identical to the Velar's. I know. I had both cars. F-Pace also has a system whereby, if the key is lost, a new central remote control unit is also needed (a lot of money by the way).

The thieves don't clone the key. They simply amplify the signal from the existing fob which is sitting in a drawer or cupboard in your house. Normally the car would think the fob is out of range. But one theif amplifies the signal to such an extent that the car thinks the other thief, who is standing at the door of the car, has the key in his pocket. That thief then opens the door and voila!

As an aside, ALA also sell key loss insurance for about £30 p.a. and this includes replacement of the central remote unit too.

Regards,

Arianne

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
peterd said:
yes but how do you take the car away then?
you can extend the signal for hundre of miles
The unfortunate owner thinks that the thieves tricked his F-Pace by fitting something to his car's OBD port. His CCTV shows this happening and then the car being driven away thereafter.

Arianne

·
Registered
79 Posts
I think I also read somewhere that the technology exists for the thieves to "copy and hold" the signal once they're inside the car. Such that the car thinks the key is actually inside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts