Range Rover Velar Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm sure you've all heard about RR/LR cars getting stolen. I was very worried myself and bought a bag from Amazon for the spares.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Keyless-Entry-Signal-Blocker-Faraday/dp/B071ZGGRD1/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1511783138&sr=8-2&keywords=faraday+bag

However I didn't want to do this every evening with the main key. Problem solved using a tin we used to have for coffee pods.
Even if I am right next to the car it won't open in this tin. My wife of course thinks this is ugly and will be looking for a nicer metal box for the kitchen.

If you've got something that works i'd use it. This gives us peace of mind at night. As CCTV would just show another hoodie robbing you :)

Cheers

Dave

Watch Automotive lighting Wood Clock Audio equipment
View attachment 634

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Funnily enough, I was looking into these today, I am probably going to go with the pouch as I end up putting my key upstairs in my bedroom but have heard the fridge also works as a last resort haha

I pick up my car in the next couple of weeks but being prepared in advance as my friend recently had a keyless car theft attempt on his sport but luckily the steering wheel lock stopped them in their tracks and they gave up.

I'm personally going to get for additional security the following-

• Faraday Pouch
    Steering Wheel Lock
    Tracker

Hopefully, that will be enough with the CCTV I already have and the outdoor floodlight that is on in the evening

G

·
Quick question. So the key is in the faraday cage, but can't they bypass the key and get direct access to the car by overriding the rolling codes produced by the fobs? I thought that was the normal direct route....
Probably the safest way is a device called rolljam fitted to the car itself.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ty Rua said:
Quick question. So the key is in the faraday cage, but can't they bypass the key and get direct access to the car by overriding the rolling codes produced by the fobs? I thought that was the normal direct route....
Probably the safest way is a device called rolljam fitted to the car itself.
The most common method being used currently and is in the news at the moment is where they use a device to amplify the keys range (from within your house) to unlock the car, once they are in, the device holds that signal, they start the car and drive away. Whilst they are driving they can hold the signal of the key so the car thinks a key is in the vehicle or they can use the OBD port. The faraday cage is the best option right now to try and stop this but obviously there are are other methods out there

·
Registered
17 Posts
Bought one of the "Faraday Bags" from the Amazon link and it works a treat if you put it properly inside the gold foil lining, and not as I did on the first attempt down the side of the pouch next to that lining, Duh. Once you have opened the gold lining it's obvious.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Velar809 said:
Bought one of the "Faraday Bags" from the Amazon link and it works a treat if you put it properly inside the gold foil lining, and not as I did on the first attempt down the side of the pouch next to that lining, Duh. Once you have opened the gold lining it's obvious.
Glad it wasn't just me then :lol:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.