Range Rover Velar Forum banner

Feeling Conned - Steering Assist

9K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  KingKojo 
#1 ·
When I ordered my HSE which includes the Drive Assist Pack, I was led to believe by the current brochure and iGuide that it would have Steering Assist (additional to Lane Keep Assist). My 2021 HSE doesn't have it, or if it does it doesn't work !

It's not a major issue but my last 3 cars (2 Merc's and a BMW) all had it as part of the driver assist options. It does make life a little easier in crawling traffic.

I would appreciate knowing if they have definitely dropped it for MY 21 or whether I should get them to sort it out. Any info would be appreciated.

#2 ·
Hello Wiven.

It took me a while to realise It was there, and It came as part of my SE, you switch It on, on left
side of steering wheel??. It must be included with HSE?. Bit like the start stop engine feature, which
never worked from the day I got mine, although I've forgotten about my Velar.

#3 ·
Thanks ponchos. I received an email today from the dealer. Very apologetic as he researched the 2021 Ordering Guide and in small print it says that functions have been removed, including Steering Assist.

I am going to make a formal complaint to JLR as the available brochure and the iGUIDE confirms the function should be there.

Thanks again

#4 ·
That's just plain bizarre... why would they remove functionality from newer models?!

#5 ·
My thoughts - the rest of the motoring world is moving towards more autonomous driving but JLR decided to remove their functionality. As you say, bizarre removing existing functionality on the Velar but leaving it on other Range Rovers.

It's ironic, as I had this functionality previously and if I had kept the BMW they will increase the length of time you can take your hands off when the law changes later this year. If only JLR were as customer focused as BMW. It's early days but like most people on here, I think JLR customer service / dealer service are in Division 4 compared to other manufacturers.

I really like the car but starting to think it was a regrettable decision - In the first week I have had charging issues (it's a P400e), loss of internet so no live traffic, Spotify etc., the App reports the car at the last parking spot rather than the current location (I wonder if the Tracker is similarly confused ?), the Route Planner doesn't work with Pivi Pro, the range reported for the petrol engine is wildly low, Voice Command is nowhere near as proficient as Merc's and BMW's.

Other than that it's a fine car !

#6 ·
luis88 said:
That's just plain bizarre... why would they remove functionality from newer models?!
Indeed, in a car which requires many moments of eyes down fiddling with the screens, you need more than ever adaptive cruise, emergency braking, accurate voice control and active steering!

#8 ·
Wivenhoe said:
Thanks ponchos. I received an email today from the dealer. Very apologetic as he researched the 2021 Ordering Guide and in small print it says that functions have been removed, including Steering Assist.

I am going to make a formal complaint to JLR as the available brochure and the iGUIDE confirms the function should be there.

Thanks again
I just had my MY21 Velar P400 HSE delivered and have been racking my brain for a few days on why I can't enable steering assist.. until I found out that it doesn't have it!! My old Lexus and even our Kia Forte has it. And I'm so used to it. Extremely disappointed.

Did you hear back by any chance? Or at least can you tell me how to reach out to JLR make a complaint?

#10 ·
I had this feature on my last Lexus RX450h and I found it quite irritating and never used it. It basiclly didn't really work very well...
I hadn't actually noticed that my new Velar doesn't have it !

So far my P400e has been fine with no issues apart from failure to connect to InControl. That iappears to be a known software issue thats being sorted soon.

#11 ·
Ifoggy - was it irritating because it didn't work or are you thinking of lane assist, which can be irritating ! The automated steering in my Mercedes & BMW was very good, albeit you had to keep putting your hand on the wheel. The law change later this year will significantly increase the time you can take your both hands off on a motorway / dual carriageway. I found it useful on motorways / the A1 especially in fairly slow moving traffic. The BMW and Mercedes would also overtake automatically if you indicated and the overtaking lane was clear. Not the end of the world to be without but annoying they removed a function they had provided for some time and not highlighted it in marketing / sales info. Every other manufacturers are increasing semi autonomous driving functionality but JLR seem to reducing it, perhaps only on the Velar.

Somebody said earlier the JLR system was crap and so rather than improve it, perhaps they decided to just remove it

#12 ·
Wivenhoe said:
Ifoggy - was it irritating because it didn't work or are you thinking of lane assist, which can be irritating !
I may mean lane assist but not really sure of the difference. Lane assist supposedly helps keep you from inadvertently straying into another lane and makes small steering corrections if you drift near the white lines. I was trying it today on my Velar and it does this like my Lexus did, although rather crudely. I don't think I will ever use it. What does steering assist do ?

#13 ·
Steering Assist means the car steers itself between the lines, rather than just preventing you from veering out of the lane. With both Steering Assist and Assisted Drive the car drives itself but you have to keep at least one hand on the wheel. It is as close to autonomous driving as you can currently use in the UK.

#14 ·
Hi, This is really interesting both my wife and I have new 2021 Velars the mild hybrid and we have both noticed that intermittently the steering pulls to the right and only the right on its own this has been on all road surface types and in different situations, understand the lane assist but not aware of this function if it is a function can anyone enlighten me please?

#15 ·
I have Lane assist which as previously stated is supposed to keep you within the white lines of the lane you currenrly driving in, this is a description in loose terms as the car will actually have wondered over the lines before it actually decides to intervene, for which I am sure I would already have received a horn beep from anyone in the next lane. But with this in mind surely the lane assist and steering assist use basically the same sensors and cameras so I would thought should be an option to activate. Does anyone know if this possible or has already been done. Appreciate any advice.

#23 ·
Think the gap was to allow further software development of the feature as it was removed from other JLR models as well. I see it back now and very recently updated again in a software update.