Range Rover Velar Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The dealership where I purchased my Velar was excellent in every area except for how they detail the new cars. I suspect their detailing crew hasn't had any training on how to properly wash and wax a vehicle. Apparently this is common from what I've read in various car forums. The gloss black side pillars, which do scratch easily, were already covered in spider webs and there was marring on the roof where they'd taken an orbital polisher to it and didn't know how to use it. I would think a dual action or orbital polisher wouldn't even be needed on a brand new vehicle but I suppose they were trying to save time or were too lazy to just do it gently by hand. I'm guessing they have shit microfiber or cloth towels for drying to scratch up the gloss black like that. Based on previous purchases I expect that to happen after 6 months or so but not right off the lot!

I found a great product called "CarPro Essence Xtreme Gloss Enhancer" and it got the black roof and side pillars back to perfect condition. If anyone buys this stuff and tries it, be conservative with it -- use a microfiber application pad, leave it on for 2-3 minutes and wipe off by hand (with a good microfiber towel) unless the damage is really bad. I have a porter cable from maintaining my previous Santorini black RR Sport and use it when needed but I didn't use it this time. This gloss enhancer has some gentle abrasives so you don't want to use it too frequently. But now that my Velar is how it should be I can wash it myself (properly) from now on.

I used Autoglym HD wax on the body, and the CarPro Essence on the roof PLUS the HD wax.

spoiler marred by the dealership:
Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Car

after my back killing wash and detail:
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Window

Wheel Tire Vehicle Window Car

Wheel Tire Automotive carrying rack Vehicle Car

Tire Vehicle registration plate Wheel Automotive tail & brake light Automotive tire

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Simply stunning. Nice work and thanks for the tip on the product. If your anything like me, detailing my car is genuinely relaxing and therapeutic for me! =)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ha well I need more hobbies... but it is satisfying to admire the end result and I agree it is therapeutic.

van604 said:
Simply stunning. Nice work and thanks for the tip on the product. If your anything like me, detailing my car is genuinely relaxing and therapeutic for me! =)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OZ_Velar said:
Ive seen so many black parts have endless swirl marks that i will be wrapping those areas with Xpel xtreme which should be unnoticeable

http://www.xpel.com/xpel-xtreme-paint-protection-film/
I've heard the Xpel is really great. Thanks for the link. I'm going to look into it but I'm also looking into trying a ceramic coating like Cquartz. I've been pretty happy with how my previous cars have aged mostly from just washing properly and a decent wax or at least quick detailing spray in between washes.

·
Registered
126 Posts
andrewhargreaves said:
OZ_Velar said:
Ive seen so many black parts have endless swirl marks that i will be wrapping those areas with Xpel xtreme which should be unnoticeable

http://www.xpel.com/xpel-xtreme-paint-protection-film/
I've heard the Xpel is really great. Thanks for the link. I'm going to look into it but I'm also looking into trying a ceramic coating like Cquartz. I've been pretty happy with how my previous cars have aged mostly from just washing properly and a decent wax or at least quick detailing spray in between washes.
Go with GTechniq ceramic coating. Stops all swirl marks and so easy to clean. my detailer spent a day correcting the swirls and scratches from the the poor dealership valet but now is as good as new and will stay that way for up to 7 years apparently!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts