Range Rover Velar Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

If you were like me and didn't realise that the extended leather upgrade wasn't the FULL extended leather upgrade, I would urge you to go for this option. It's a bit pricey but well worth the extra investment - I say investment, not cost here as you'll be spending so much time in your new Velar it has to be considered an investment to get the cabin in the best possible shape!

If you sit in a Velar you'll be impressed with the leather fittings but perhaps like me, a little less impressed by any of the plastic parts in the cabin.

The Germans seem to have mastered the quality of plastic materials but I'm sorry to say that JLR isn't at that level just yet.

However, JLR do great leather (Christian Grey would be proud!) so my advice would be to covert the interior with it as much as possible.

The FULL extended leather upgrade adds leather to the top dashboard and instrument cluster as well as the door tops. Without this you'll be viewing and touching plastic every time you sit in her!

Just my view on this. Anyone got any thoughts on the matter?

Regards
Dan

·
Registered
727 Posts
I agree with you 100%. I now have a 1st edition coming that already has this option but my initial order was for a HSE Dynamic R and I had specced it on that too. The funny thing is that most sales people at dealerships think the higher models (HSE Dynamic R) has this as standard and have no clue it's an extra! I had to get three of my friends orders corrected as the dealers told them this! Now all sorted. Suggest you all get the upgrade it's well worth it!

·
Registered
534 Posts
I realized; though I do agree the configurator could've been more clear. I don't mind the plastic upper dash. That particular area is exposed to the hot Southern US sun more than any other part of the interior, so leather there doesn't make great sense for me. The front facing part of the dash is all leather with contrast stitching and the majority of the door panels are; that's enough for me. I really don't like the base interior with the plastic steering wheel airbag cover though. That's what prompted me to order the extended leather. For minimal cost it makes a world of difference. I'm surprised so many of the demo models I've seen photographed online have the leather-free interior. Maybe it looks better in person.

I'm honestly surprised at how far downmarket they pushed the base Velar. To me it wasn't needed, as the Evoque, Discovery Sport, and F-Pace fill that space.

·
Registered
43 Posts
@ Kyle. I agree with you but for a different reason all together. Here in the Northeast, that area gets covered in snow, especially when opening windows to clean, etc. I'd rather have that area be a durable material that can be cleaned easily. The extended leather option is a relative bargain in my opinion compared to the full leather option. Also adding each and every option was sending my build into RRS territory.

The base Velar is really just to show a low entry price on billboards and such. I seriously doubt there will be too many of them on the road. You can't add any options and once buyers realize the need to pay alot more for nicer materials, they'll do it because they like the design or buy something else. I agree its unnecessary, especially since most Land Rover dealers are combined with Jaguar, the F-Pace has plenty of models to fill that price point.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I'm a transplant...born and raised in the Boston area so I know all about that as well. I may live in Dallas but...New Englander for life haha.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Starting to think I shouldn't visit these forums :)

Didn't realise this was even an option until now. The configurator isn't that clear. Unfortunately I can't add this to mine as it's been sent to build and I can't change any further spec. Would've been nice to have it but I was happy with my build before so I shouldn't get to downbeat about it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
421 Posts
I would double check on your lock in date since mine has changed twice already and now is delayed by another 2 weeks.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I tried to make a small change last week but was told by my dealer that it had been committed to build and that Land Rover wouldn't allow any further changes. So I assume my lock in has passed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts