Range Rover Velar Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my Audi, I have a feature called "Hill Hold Assist" which enables the car to engage the parking brake by depressing the brake pedal.

So when the car comes to a halt (i.e. at a set of traffic lights), it will immediately "hold" without having to apply a parking brake by a separate manoeuvre. The parking brake is then lifted as soon as you depress the accelerator pedal.

The benefit of this being you can keep the car in drive continually even when stopping in traffic or at a set of lights without having to move the gears into neutral or park, or applying the parking brake.

Does anyone know if Hill Launch Assist in the Velar performs the same function?

I took a test drive in a P380 HSE yesterday and I didn't appear to have this function available and the dealer accompanying me didn't know if it was possible.

Thoughts anyone?

·
Registered
171 Posts
dc44back said:
On my Audi, I have a feature called "Hill Hold Assist" which enables the car to engage the parking brake by depressing the brake pedal.

So when the car comes to a halt (i.e. at a set of traffic lights), it will immediately "hold" without having to apply a parking brake by a separate manoeuvre. The parking brake is then lifted as soon as you depress the accelerator pedal.

The benefit of this being you can keep the car in drive continually even when stopping in traffic or at a set of lights without having to move the gears into neutral or park, or applying the parking brake.

Does anyone know if Hill Launch Assist in the Velar performs the same function?

I took a test drive in a P380 HSE yesterday and I didn't appear to have this function available and the dealer accompanying me didn't know if it was possible.

Thoughts anyone?
I assume you're talking about a manual car as an automatic you would have your foot on the brake pedal when stopped?.

·
Registered
534 Posts
In all of my Porsches, which probably use the same system as Audi, the car auto-engages the brake when on a hill so you don't need to. On a flat surface, you still need to keep your foot on the brake while stopped. I assume the Velar has a similar system...almost all premium cars do.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
With the Audi (and also my Mercedes before), you can engage the handbrake by hard pressing the foot brake so you don't have to keep your foot continuously applied.

I'm suspecting that JLR don't have this functionality which seems a little odd.

Maybe it's an auto parking brake rather than a Hill assist feature as I don't use it on hills, just whenever I stop at traffic lights or in traffic for any length of time.

It's much more convenient than having to keep your foot depressed on the brake. Once you're used to it, it's a pain having to do without it. Even the Passat I hired on holiday had it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hill Start Assist comes as standard on all models:-

HILL DESCENT CONTROL

Land Rover's patented Hill Descent Control (HDC) technology assists the driver with controlled descents of difficult slopes. It does so by maintaining a constant speed and applying braking seperately to each wheel. Hill Start Assist, which comes as standard, ensures the vehicle doesn't roll backwards as it pulls away on an incline.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I think there is some confusion on what HLA is for. It is for keeping the brakes on when a road is going downhill. My C Class Merc and BMW X5 both had a function in which if you pressed the brake pedal hard the car would remain braked until you accelerate - does not matter if there is a slope in the road or not. HLA is different in that it won't work on a flat road surface only a decline.

·
Registered
171 Posts
All Velars come with Hill Launch Assist, the car holds the brake briefly when you remove your foot off the brake allowing you to put your foot on the accelerator and move forwards and upwards and does not allow the car to roll backwards.

·
Registered
171 Posts
VelarMan said:
I think there is some confusion on what HLA is for. It is for keeping the brakes on when a road is going downhill. My C Class Merc and BMW X5 both had a function in which if you pressed the brake pedal hard the car would remain braked until you accelerate - does not matter if there is a slope in the road or not. HLA is different in that it won't work on a flat road surface only a decline.
HLA is for going uphill not downhill. :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
VelarMan said:
OOPs - then the Velar does not do what the other cars did that is to keep the brake on at traffic lights etc - you need to put the car in P to make it stand still without your foot on the brake.
I would assume so, I never take my foot off the brake at traffic lights as the stand still is all very quick.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's a perdantic issue in my view. A first world issue!!!

But like anything though, when you get used to a short cut, it's very inconvenient to "unteach" yourself to use it!!!

Actually, on a slightly different matter I had the pop up rotary gear knob in my XKR and on test driving the Velar, I see it still slightly annoys me. Shame they didn't use the Jaguar F Type gear knob that the RRS uses as that's much more "grabable"

·
Registered
171 Posts
dc44back said:
It's a perdantic issue in my view. A first world issue!!!

But like anything though, when you get used to a short cut, it's very inconvenient to "unteach" yourself to use it!!!

Actually, on a slightly different matter I had the pop up rotary gear knob in my XKR and on test driving the Velar, I see it still slightly annoys me. Shame they didn't use the Jaguar F Type gear knob that the RRS uses as that's much more "grabable"
I am totally the opposite on the gear knob, I love the round knob and think the fighter style stick in the Sport loses the flush look of the dash board, if they stuck it on the Velar it would lose that sleek look that's so appealing.

My opinion of course.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So, in summary.... the RRV HHA works on hills only not flat terrain. On flat terrain you need to apply your foot on the brake pedal when temporarily stationary, e.g. at traffic lights, or move the gears into Park.

Loss of convenience for German car drivers switching to JLR.

Another terrible first world tragedy....😭😭😭

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Actually, I agree on the rotary vs stick comment as it does look and feel right for the Velar's cabin layout.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.