Range Rover Velar Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know my 2019 D240SE Velar has Adaptive Headlights (Matrix Headlights). When I purchased the car I eventually figured out how to turn the Adaptive Headlights on and I found they worked well, I loved them. However after three years of ownership I find I have forgotten how I turned them on and how I knew they were on, in fact I am concerned they no longer work, perhaps as a result of a recent BCM (Body Control Module) update.
I know there are many differences between various model Velars, and that creates a problem when I ask other Velar owners "How do I know when adaptive headlights are ON?". In my Velar I go into the menu, select 'headlights' and choose between 'Auto Headlights' and 'Adaptive Headlights'. If I select 'Auto Headlights' then when I drive above a critical speed in a suitably darkened condition a green (high beam) headlight symbol with the word "AUTO" in green below appear in the lower left of the dash (RHD vehicle) telling me I am in 'Auto Headlights mode', I know from experience that when the conditions are right the headlights will move automatically to High Beam with a blue headlight (high beam) symbol appearing beside the green headlight symbol. That 'Auto Headlights' mode works well, so I know the cameras are working, seeing other traffic etc. and doing what should happen.
But what about 'Adaptive Headlights'? When I select that in the menu I do not see anything extra come up on the dash. I suspect the green headlight symbol with the word AUTO in green should come up when speed and exterior light conditions are appropriate, as happens with 'Auto Headlights', but that does not happen in our Velar. I can no longer seem to get 'Adaptive Headlights' to activate. I have tried pushing the headlight stalk forward and holding it for more than 1 second, and/or rotating the stalk end to the 'AUTO' position and holding that for 3 seconds before releasing it to spring back to it's neutral position. All that seems to do it set the lights in high beam (blue high beam symbol on) but I soon learn 'Adaptive Headlights' are not engaged when approaching traffic gets lit up like a Christmas Tree and the approaching vehicle flashes its headlights at me in anger. What am I doing wrong? Has something happened, like a BCM (Body Control Module) update carried out recently, that has screwed the Adaptive Headlights?
My problem is exaserpated by the fact that the nearest JLR dealer is some hours distance from me, and when I have called in they 'stupidly' try to activate the headlight controls in full daylight while the vehicle is parked, which tells me they have not a clue what they are doing.
I would very much like to get this problem fixed because when they were working properly I loved 'Adaptive Headlights', I consider them to be a great safety feature, and I am about to make a long trip across Australia which will involve considerable night time driving, so help with this issue would be very much appreciated.
Rod

·
Registered
590 Posts
Having selected adaptive lights, you don’t need to do anything else, they should come on automatically. When the headlights are in adaptive mode, the blue indicator remains lit and won’t go out when traffic approaches, but the beam adjusts accordingly. The dimming of individual sections as a car approaches is quite noticeable, especially on bends, so if you don’t see sections fading in and out your adaptive lights probably aren’t working. Pushing the stalk forwards puts the lights on permanent full beam & disables the adaptive functionlaity.

I agree that they are great, but I get the occasional flash from other drivers when using them.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mike.

So am I correct to understand that when parked and/or not in low light conditions nothing will show on the dash to indicate the headlights are in Auto or Adaptive or Manual Mode, that only when I get up to the critical speed in the critical low light condition something will then show on the dash?

I know when in Auto Mode, and I reach those critical conditions of speed and/or low light the green headlamp symbol (with lines horizontal) with the word Auto beneath in green will show to the lower right of the dash, and the blue headlight symbol will show alongside those symbols when the lights move to high beam, and that blue light symbol will disappear when the lights automatically move to dipped beam.

What I do not understand is exactly what (and when) will show on the dash when the lights have previously been set (in the Menu) to Adaptive Mode. In my case, when I've set the Menu to Adaptive I find I have only a dipped beam when the critical speed and/or light conditions are met, I soon realize I am in 'Manual Mode', nothing I then do, like holding the stalk forward for 1+ second, or rotating and holding the stalk control to Auto position for 3+ seconds, appears to get me out of Manual Mode and into Adaptive Mode, only the blue headlight symbol shows (indicating I have high beam) but nothing else shows to tell me I am in Adaptive, until the oncoming vehicle flashes headlights at me.

Rod

·
Registered
590 Posts
Having set adaptive lights in the menu, there is nothing else to do. When in auto mode as dusk approaches the dipped beam will come on. Then when the ambient light drops further and the speed is right the blue symbol will come on and stay on regardless of what the lights are doing. The lights should then adapt the beam to suit oncoming traffic and/or the car in front.
You say you only have dipped beam, how do you get to dazzling oncoming traffic?
as I said before the beams fading in and out is quite noticeable and if you can’t see it happening then you likely have a fault.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Mike
We know how the Adaptive headlights work because they used to do so, before the recent BCM update.
When I referred to the lights staying on dipped, it was clear it was dark enough that dipped beam was inapropriate, so I pushed the stalk fully forward and held it there for three seconds then let it go. That brought the headlights to high beam with the blue headlight symbol showing on the dash. I hoped that the car was then in Adaptive Headlight mode, but oncoming cars soon told me that was not the case. I find it amazing that no symbol comes up on the dash to tell me I have engaged Adaptive Headlights.
Rod

·
Registered
590 Posts
Yes, the only indications you get are the green auto lights symbol, & the blue symbol when they go into adaptive high beam mode. Sounds like a trip to the dealer is required. Hope you get it sorted.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Mike
I think you have answered my question "How do I know when Adaptive Headlights are ON?".
It seems you are telling me the same symbols as appear for Auto Headlights will appear on the dash in Adaptive Headlight mode, a green headlight with green 'Auto' under it. In the right speed and lighting conditions, in the case of Auto Headlights the additional blue headlight symbol will come on when in high beam and go out when it auto dips, in the case of Adaptive Headlights the same symbols appear but the blue headlight symbol will stay on even when when another vehicle is in range?
Thanks from Rod

1 - 7 of 7 Posts