Range Rover Velar Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope someone can help….

Took delivery of my P400e HSE 2 weeks ago and have been super happy with it until now….

I’ve just done the software update and the hybrid mode seems to have stopped working, it’s starts on hybrid and then as soon as the engine kicks in, it doesn’t kick back into EV mode. It then won’t let me select EV mode and runs off the engine until you turn the car off… i also get the message EV not available.

also with save mode, when I’ve used this, it’s uses my battery, is this right?

Has anyone had the same issues and could advise what I can do to get it working again?
Thanks

·
Registered
386 Posts
After my car updated to version 3.2 I had similar issues but they have mostly settled after a week. A couple of things to consider.

EV mode is locked out if you re in Sport rather than Drive. It takes some time after reselecting Drive for EV to come back.
If you have the Hybrid Info Dial displayed then try to switch back to EV mode when the revs are below 1500 (electric icon) and the power usage blue is showing. Prior to the dealer updates I had to stop the car, open the door and then restart for the EV to come back.
When in Hybrid look at the consumption - it can improve as the car is using EV without the EV icon being lit.
Save does the opposite - it locks out all EV access and uses the engine constantly - it’s Save as it saves the battery for future use e.g. an EVOnly zone or if you wanted to preserve the HV battery to precondition the car where You don’t have access to a charger.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After my car updated to version 3.2 I had similar issues but they have mostly settled after a week. A couple of things to consider.

EV mode is locked out if you re in Sport rather than Drive. It takes some time after reselecting Drive for EV to come back.
If you have the Hybrid Info Dial displayed then try to switch back to EV mode when the revs are below 1500 (electric icon) and the power usage blue is showing. Prior to the dealer updates I had to stop the car, open the door and then restart for the EV to come back.
When in Hybrid look at the consumption - it can improve as the car is using EV without the EV icon being lit.
Save does the opposite - it locks out all EV access and uses the engine constantly - it’s Save as it saves the battery for future use e.g. an EVOnly zone or if you wanted to preserve the HV battery to precondition the car where You don’t have access to a charger.
Thanks for replying;

Been trying all the things you mentioned without success, seems the update has messed it all up!
I will give it a few days to see if it corrects itself otherwise I will take it to the dealership…

that’s what I thought Save mode did but everytime I’ve used it since I’ve had the car, it’s not stopped using EV so that’s really strange…

·
Registered
347 Posts
Have you re-booted? (Press volume control for 30+ seconds)

·
Registered
386 Posts
Hopefully the reboot will work. Apologies for stating the basics but as you had only recently got the car I thought it would be helpful.

My car has had EV issues from collection and they continue now after 6 months. If you look at the version 3.0 and 3.2 update notes they confirm ‘improvements’ to the EV system which I think just confirms there were errors before. My range is much less than others on the forum, trundling round town and country lanes I struggle to get 20 miles even in warmish weather. With a full charge the range is reported as being 26 / 27 before driving away as opposed to the theoretical 33 - other PHEV’s I’ve had (2 Merc’s and a BMW) report the theoretical range on full charge but then drop when actually used.

What is really unforgivable is that the P400e EV system has been in RR’s for years so there shouldn’t be any gremlins.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Thanks for replying;

Been trying all the things you mentioned without success, seems the update has messed it all up!
I will give it a few days to see if it corrects itself otherwise I will take it to the dealership…

that’s what I thought Save mode did but everytime I’ve used it since I’ve had the car, it’s not stopped using EV so that’s really strange…
Mine was the same, it was weird, ev mode didn’t switch to Ev and save did nothing and it continued to use the battery.

However, after a few trips it’s now completely back to normal so fingers crossed it will be fine for you and it will sort itself out. In the release notes there is a reference to the ecu re-learning how you drive and using information from regular journeys to decide what mode to use.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mine was the same, it was weird, ev mode didn’t switch to Ev and save did nothing and it continued to use the battery.

However, after a few trips it’s now completely back to normal so fingers crossed it will be fine for you and it will sort itself out. In the release notes there is a reference to the ecu re-learning how you drive and using information from regular journeys to decide what mode to use.
have reset and looks like it’s done the job so thank you 👍

·
Registered
386 Posts
My car is going in next Monday to have the HV ‘board’ replaced. It is now a known fault on some of the P400e’s - mine was was delivered last May. The dealer was fantastic in sorting this and there seems to be a new wind blowing in Customer Service - I emailed them when the dealer suggested it, received a call the same day and they called me regularly with updates.

I’ll come back if it sorts my issues.

·
Registered
R-Dynamic SL P400e 22' Plate
10 Posts
Hi! I picked up my P400e on saturday 23rd and I noticed earlier that a software update is available... after reading the above I am a little reluctant to update as currently I am pretty much using EV 99% of the time!

·
Registered
161 Posts
I’m on the latest software release and my p400e is all fine, it does have a wobble when you install it as it relearns, I don’t think wivenhoe’s issue is software related?

·
Registered
386 Posts
No not software related - my issue is the component board that controls the HV heater for the HV battery. There was a batch of faulty ones installed so presumably the supplier is providing replacements free of charge hence JLR not being too obstructive in agreeing to replacement under warranty. My range has improved with the warmer weather as the battery doesn’t need the same degree of heat.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Very interesting, glad you got it sorted, battery degradation that early was worrying. I’ll keep an eye on mine but I’ve just hit 5k and no issues so far.

·
Registered
386 Posts
They changed the faulty HV battery heating ‘board’ and did a number of EV specific software updates and it felt like a totally different car when driving on EV. Also, when I connected at home and fully charged it said 28 miles which it hadn’t reported for ages. The handover guy was a bit confused over whether thay had changed an HV battery module or not but It definitely feels more powerful !

Reactions: JDPRRUK
1 - 15 of 15 Posts