Range Rover Velar Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After months of frustration with Bluetooth cutting out and not displaying correct album art...and the nearly unusable usb connection, I've had a bit of a breakthrough.

As I was pairing my new phone and playing with Bluetooth settings, I decided to set Bluetooth (in the ICTP Bluetooth settings) for phone only, not music/audio as it defaulted to. I wasn't expecting it to make a difference but it did. With Bluetooth music streaming disabled and used exclusively for calls, the usb-phone interface has worked faultlessly for the past week. It appears that having bluetooth audio streaming and usb both enabled at the same time could be what was causing the system to freeze up and kill the connection.

Maybe everyone has already tried this without luck and I'm just clueless and had a lucky streak this week, but I figured it was worth mentioning. It's been great.

It's also worth noting that I don't use the In Control Apps. I found them to be limited and awful, and I prefer the native media interface and nav built into ICTP. I deleted the "apps" app from my phone entirely. I figure the less complexity the better given the situation. This is with an iPhone X, but I assume would apply to recent iPhones the same.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for your input KRG, hope it works for all, we will try.

How sad though that this kind of solution needs to come from the community rather than a JLR long awaited software correction or email with such details... JLR please, this car is full of bugs!

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This was a fail...which I half assumed. I had a week of the system working flawlessly, but it stopped working again. Back to bluetooth...

·
Registered
843 Posts
Well, that sucks! I wrote a nasty review when I received the survey from JLR. Hopefully JLR takes notice. I encourage you all to do the same and keep the pressure on.

·
Registered
295 Posts
KRG said:
After months of frustration with Bluetooth cutting out and not displaying correct album art...and the nearly unusable usb connection, I've had a bit of a breakthrough.

As I was pairing my new phone and playing with Bluetooth settings, I decided to set Bluetooth (in the ICTP Bluetooth settings) for phone only, not music/audio as it defaulted to. I wasn't expecting it to make a difference but it did. With Bluetooth music streaming disabled and used exclusively for calls, the usb-phone interface has worked faultlessly for the past week. It appears that having bluetooth audio streaming and usb both enabled at the same time could be what was causing the system to freeze up and kill the connection.

Maybe everyone has already tried this without luck and I'm just clueless and had a lucky streak this week, but I figured it was worth mentioning. It's been great.

It's also worth noting that I don't use the In Control Apps. I found them to be limited and awful, and I prefer the native media interface and nav built into ICTP. I deleted the "apps" app from my phone entirely. I figure the less complexity the better given the situation. This is with an iPhone X, but I assume would apply to recent iPhones the same.
@ KRG, what a brilliant idea to set the bluetooth for phone only : this must be part of a solution to stabilize this USB pb. I know KRG you wrote a 2nd post pointing that there is still a pb, but I have a strong feeling that the ICTP is loosing iphone via USB because of this bluetooth. actually the ICTP is getting lost between bluethooth and USB for the same device. So closing the 'music over bletooth' must help.

Now if you still have a pb with usb, I sugget you do the following (not 100% sure it will solve your pb KRG, but it did for me). I discovered that sometimes, the USB slot looses power : you can see that by checking if your smartphone receives power from the velar USB slot. If it doesn't, then this is why you are loosing the audio: the velar does not communicate with your smartphone via USB anymore (it's a different issue and I suspect bluetooth might contribute to creating it). unplugging and replugging the USB on the slot or even changing for the 2nd slot will not help. When this happens, I recently discovered that you do not need to do the full reboot. Just insert a standard USB key (not a smartphone) in the USB slot that lost power and see if it is recognized. Usually it does. This sort of resets the USB slot. after that you can try to plug again your smart phone on the same USB slot. If previously, you had un ticked the music via bluetooth, you should get a proper smartphone via USB link : you should see it fully white (not grey) in the source menu. then you can run the IC APP again and it should be stable again.

Just an additional comment when changing the bluetooth parameter, you might have to do a proper reboot ( turn car off wait and turn it on again) so that the velar "forgets" searching for your smartphone over bluetooth.

For those who want to use IC App and particularly Spotify on the velar, then I suggest you follow KRG 's advice : switch off the music in bluetooth parameters .
I've had many times spotify working over bluetooth (silly from the audio point of view, Arianne has been writing on this). I am sure that this solution is the best. It worked for me yesterday.

If my post was not clear, let me know I'll try to rewrite a clearer procedure

1 - 5 of 5 Posts