Range Rover Velar Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm after buying a Velar but the only thing holding me back is all this talk about the infotainment system? I hear so many people having the same issue, is this something JLR are working on to get rid of or is it something that we have to accept? I would hate to miss out on such a stunning car for the sake of this problem.

Registered
Timw69 said:
is this something JLR are working on to get rid of or is it something that we have to accept?
Yes to both of your questions! 馃槀

They are trying to rectify the issues but they seem to introduce more issues with the new upgrades! They're bound to get it fixed one day, right??!! &#x1f91e-1f3fb;

Registered
Don't get put off, most manufacturers have quite similar problems. I haven't had any problems with mine so far, apart from inconsistency with ACP & InControl Apps not connecting, but I think it's a question of plugging the phone in too soon after engine start, when I wait 30 seconds or so it seems fine.

Registered
before u buy this car, go check other cars, just do one single touch swipe on the touch screen and compare with this car. its been a year and still sucks.
I think theres only one junior programer working on this car.

Registered
They have been improving the software and fixing the issues, but after more than one year and a half there are still some bugs. Taking into account the speed that they have shown so far, and the new bugs that are introduced in the new releases, there is still a long journey before having a stable version.

In my case I have the version 18D and I am facing the following issues:
- Sporadic audio crackling (appeared after upgrading from version 18C).
- Rear camera delay. It shows the rear image with a very little delay, but it can lie you about the real distance from an obstacle when parking.
- Climate temperature accuracy. When you set a temperature, after some time there seems to be a continous alternance between cold and warm. It leds me to change the target temperature +-1 degrees constantly.
- Multimedia system forgets the last option selected (radio/usb, random set, ...) when starting up.
- Slow start up. It can take more than a minute to start up the multimedia system and up to 5 minutes to start up the navigator.
- Sporadically no sound from speakers when calling someone or using the navigation system, although the multimedia system is working properly at the same time.
- The image of the contact when calling is not shown on the right screen icon as it was shown two software versions ago.

The software seems to have the "over the air update" feature but I do not think it is operative yet, and looking at the quality of some versions I would not assume the risk of doing self-updates. Anyway, it's quite annoying to go to the dealer to update the software (three times in the last 5 months).

Can I live with these issues? Yes, I can. It's a very nice and innnovative car, but I expect a better quality assurance from a car that costs more than 60k拢.

I am wondering if they are using the cars that they are selling.

Registered
The only issue I have is the ambient lighting forgetting its settings
No lag
No audio crackle
No usb connection issues etc
Incontrol works so well that I don't even bother with ACP

But it is a gamble and terrible QA, a lot of these cars are coming off with issues that I don't even believe the dealers have a clue how to fix

Registered
The car is great

Software is shit, it could be a great system but LR just can't get to grips with it.

Registered
Hi. I just purchased my first Range Rover: 2019 RR Velar. I love my new truck!!! But I am having an issue connecting my S10+ phone to the vehicle. It act as if it's connected but there's not information on the screen nor does it ring through the phone...it just recycles the 4 colorful squares. I've tried unpairing both the vehicle and the phone and pairing it again but it still will not work. I've tried connecting it to another device as well. So I made an appt with the dealership but it's not until Wednesday. It has all these features and I really need my phone connection. Any suggestions???

Registered
Timw69 said:
Thanks so much for all your responses, such a stunning car but to me the infotainment system is obviously a big part of it.
It's getting better, I like to listen to my banging tunes :lol: so when it plays up it's frustrating but sometimes it could work faultlessly for days. My issues are all connectivity related, the rest of it all works fine.

Not everyone has these issues so I wouldn't let it put you off.

Registered
I received my car a year ago. I use the iPhone X as my primary music source. My car had 17C installed when I received it and the main issue I had with it was Bluetooth audio during the call. The person on the other side of the call always thought my voice was muffled or I was using some form of voice disguising software. :lol: :lol: I took it in after 2 months and the dealer updated the software to 18B - Oh boy did I have problems afterwards. The USB would only connect after alternate restart cycles. Bluetooth did not connect and would not have any audio for the duration of the trip, unless if I decided to stop on the side of the road and switch it off.

After those problems, I got updated to 18C which also added CarPlay, we don't get Android Auto this side due to some licensing issues with Google. My problems got even worse, 90% of the time I didn't have the USB available and Bluetooth would just disconnect after a couple of minutes of driving.

In December the car sat with the dealer for almost two weeks after 18D was installed. I got my car back just before Christmas holidays and most of the problems have been sorted out. At least when I experience a problem now its mainly due to Apple's security updates that require the iPhone to be unlocked to use with the USB device. That seems to be consistent with my other cars.

I suppose if you are luck you will get a car that has fewer infotainment problems - mine had a lot but I was lucky to have a dealer that was embarrassed by them and wanted them sorted out. The way things are at the moment, I am more than happy with my car's behaviour. I believe this is what I expected to receive from day 1.

Things are still not perfect but I can happily live with them and I do not want any future software updates as I am more than happy with 18D.

The car is a fantastic car to drive I wouldn't change anything about that - the software department on the other side [oh well].

Would I buy it again - certainly.

Good luck with your decision, I know it is hard.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.