Range Rover Velar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the US, and just got a Velar, SE, R-DYN, TD4 (we only have one diesel engine in the states).

My iPhone is paired with the car, and I can stream music out over Bluetooth. I also can get inControl apps working to play Spotify (with cover art, etc.) out over the plugged in USB.

Here is my problem - the microphone button on my phone doesn't pick up anything any longer. So, when the iPhone is plugged in and when it's not plugged in, I can't trigger Siri or BT dictation. But everything else seems to work with the phone and sound coming out.

Has anyone encountered this and can you suggest a solution?

Victor

·
Registered
79 Posts
IMHO this is due to the BT paring as, the car is seen as an external device to your iPhone with speaker and micro. Therefore the local mic is no longer active. Having said that, I must admit that I have no solution to suggest, other than to switch of BT and test if the behaviour is changing. Not sure if other services such as phone service will work over the USB (I doubt)

·
Registered
449 Posts
The Velar voice control needs to work as iPhone microphone for Siri. This will only work, if the Velar has the required setting available. It works for phone calls though.
JLR how long do we have iPhones around?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I was using this feature on my 2014 Range Rover sport I had previous, so it should work, must be a software bug with the Velars new ictp system. I'm using a iPhone 6 with the (already buggy) ios11

·
Registered
252 Posts
Ironically I have up until taking delivery of my Velar been using Siri in my Jaguar XF without issue.

But Velar just won't work with siri at all 😔

G

·
mrgandfriends.co.uk said:
Ironically I have up until taking delivery of my Velar been using Siri in my Jaguar XF without issue.

But Velar just won't work with siri at all 😔
I just dropped of my Velar this morning for service (hitch install -I didn't order factory, cross-bars for roof, fixup of some 3M peeling) and my loaner is a Jag XE, and the first thing I tried was Siri (press and hold home, dictate) - it works perfect, just like the good old Ford Explorer Sport I traded... I am sure it will come on the Velar (maybe with Car Play!) but when you are quite used to something, its hard to change.

:(

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I called my local place about it - yup, they're hearing the same thing and it's a 2018 issue (Velar, and now possibly Sports that are getting the INTP set-up). She hasn't heard back from corporate so nothing on the horizon as a fix. Maybe, and she'd let me know, but they hadn't be helpful in being responsive...

That would really, really suck - VJM

·
Registered
449 Posts
Please all contact JLR customer service directly by email. That's the ONLY way this bug gets priority. Forget about dealers or forum. I doubt it will reach them. I reached out to customer service about the possibility to update the Velar for Apple car play. They told me the department in charge answered, CarPlay is coming and most likely not update able for delivered Velars.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I sent an email to JLR North America, response was useless. They told me the process is to report the perceived fault to the dealer who in turn must open a "ticket" with JLR that will be addressed. They always default to the dealer in my experience. Dealer said they would do that but who really knows.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Email is on the website and various for each market. Who is keeping anyone from doing both, dealer and customer service? If they get tons of complains at customer service, they won't ignore them. Of cause they're sending customers to the dealer. Less workload for the customer service team.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same issue on my Velar. I submitted a complaint to corporate and just received a call back from Charles. He said they removed the Siri functionality on the Velar because of issues on previous models. While there is no ETA on an update, supposedly they are working on it. Charles tried to insinuate that it's the phone makers (Apple and Android) fault with software updates. But then why did it work fine in my 2012 Evoque? I have the iPhone X running iOS 11 and it worked great in the Evoque and my wife's Accord.

I think this is a huge safety issue and can lead to legal issues for JLR for not having handsfree functions available on a 2018 model. This is something every other car I've driven in in the past several years (including JLR vehicles) has had the ability to do.

JLR, if you are listening, please make this a priority! Also, the Apple InControl apps are terrible. Please just develop Apple CarPlay and make it an upgradable option on our vehicles that currently do not have it!!! Thank you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the Range Rover HSE supercharged and have the same problem I hate the #RangeRover and would definitely not get another one after spending more than $130,000 USD their customer service is horrible - need to text and drive because this feature which every basic car has the option !! Shame on Land Rover for horrible customer service and horrible electronic system

·
Registered
558 Posts
Hasenfeld; If you hate them so much why are you posting on a RR Velar forum? Slightly odd.

Personally I think even talking handsfree in a car is a major distraction and not something I would even consider, if I need to make a call I pull over, simples. Just look around you at the dome driver behave whilst talking handsfree.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Personal opinion built from experiences, I stopped handsfree calling when I realized its impact on my own driving and concentration.

There have also been loads of studies and articles written into hands free talking and its seems to be something to do with the brains visualization of the scenario that you are discussing. it also has been found that talking to a passenger is far less distracting as they are physically in the vehicle and conversations can been stopped easily mid point should you concentration be needed elsewhere. One of the reasons that iphones now can be set to "do not disturb" when they sense that you are driving, a split second distraction could be your last, so I my eyes its best to minimize them

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36475180

Each to there own, but personally I value my life too much for the sake of a phone call/dictation text message that can be had once I have stopped

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've found that you can use Siri with the built-in microphone. Click Bluethoot icon in the bottom right corner of Siris answer screen, and select "iphone". Works OK if I lean a little forward to the iPhone in a front window holder.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.