Range Rover Velar Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Velar Edition +air susp. Most recent 2019 Porsche Macan S, 2017 Maserati Ghibli
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a January 2022 Velar Edition. On the test drive vehicle I was told you could wirelessly charge your phone by putting it in the cubbyhole behind the lower touchscreen. My phone charges ok on my home mate charging mat, but does not work in the car. After reluctantly accepting a new car without the 3-D camera due to the chip shortage, I have a sneaky feeling I've been also deprived of the wireless charging mat also, and finding it very hard to find any information. It seems Land Rover are changing all their online documentation to delete anything that they can't provide so it looks like it was never an option? So, has anyone a 2021 or 2022 Velar where the phone charging mat works? It seems common on lots of older Range Rovers, Defenders and Evokes, so I find it hard to believe a £60,000+ car doesn't come with it!

·
Registered
134 Posts
The only wireless phone charger available is a unit that replaces one of the cup holders that you can drop your phone into, no other wireless charging mat or application is available from JLR that I am aware off.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I don’t think there has ever been a supplied charging mat from JLR for the Velar. There is the cup holder variant but not a mat.
The iGuide does mention such a place, but as far as I am aware it never happened. However, I did put a wireless mat there myself and routed flat cable under lip of center console - invisible and works great.
Car Vehicle Automotive design Motor vehicle Steering part

some others though put the sand mat I have on top of the cup holder cover you can get from Mike on here.

Automotive design Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Personal luxury car
Car Automotive design Steering part Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
408 Posts
The iGuide is misleading - as said above, the MY 21 & 22 do not have a charging mat and the only option was in the cup holder and that could only take a small phone ! I think the option was dropped last year.

JLR were very much behind other manufacturers with this - my last BMW and Merc’s had a charging mat and the BMW even reminded me to take the phone when the ignition was turned off. JLR have started to fit chrging mats but not in the Velar.

·
Registered
2022 Velar Edition +air susp. Most recent 2019 Porsche Macan S, 2017 Maserati Ghibli
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only wireless phone charger available is a unit that replaces one of the cup holders that you can drop your phone into, no other wireless charging mat or application is available from JLR that I am aware off.
I’m pretty sure friends’ Defender and RRovers have charging mats, have to ask them to be sure.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all for your input. I did pop into a dealership, said to a sales guy my phone doesn’t seem to charge properly and gave him my phone. He got in the car and immediately put my phone in the cubbyhole and said he didn’t know why it wasn’t working so it would have to be checked out……But have to admit the 2022 iguide is misleading, still mentions putting the phone in front of the lower screen. I’m going to be a bit pi55ed off if it’s not standard as my last two new cars for the last 6 years all had it!, as does some of my friends cars that cost half as much😢

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just realised I put 2020 in my original post. It’s actually a Jan 2022!

·
Registered
408 Posts
The salesman clearly doesn’t know the spec for the Velar ! The current configurator has a cup holder charger for iPhones only and when checked in 2021 it only took previous generation iPhones due to the width restrictions. If you have an iPhone then the dealer can provide the charger, it’s not a factory fit. I thought it looked a really poor solution on a so called prestige car.
Product Gadget Communication Device Font Portable communications device

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry I thought we were talking about the Velar here !!
We are. As most of the range Rover models share components, I cannot understand why the 2022 Velar has not got this feature. Seems a valid comparison to me, "sorry" if it offends. Even though we're talking about the Velar, I will mention also that my friends Discovery Sport and wifes' Evoke have a wireless charging mat, both cheaper and older models than my new Velar! As do many sub £40k cars from other manufacturers. I am just certain this was mentioned on my demo drive, it is on the iGuide I read before ordering the car, and it was on my last two cars as standard so I assumed it would be on the Velar. The 3D surround cameras, a standard feature on the Edition, was removed from my spec due to chip issues but is now a £880 option which delays delivery. Needless to say, I didn't get an £880 reduction on my purchase price.
The iPhone connect and charge dock is also not now listed as an option as far as I can see, so I still suspect a charge mat was included but removed due to supply issues. Not a huge issue, but my customer service from LR is seems to be falling way short of Porsche & Maserati so far.
The salesman clearly doesn’t know the spec for the Velar ! The current configurator has a cup holder charger for iPhones only and when checked in 2021 it only took previous generation iPhones due to the width restrictions. If you have an iPhone then the dealer can provide the charger, it’s not a factory fit. I thought it looked a really poor solution on a so called prestige car.
View attachment 5445
Hi, just checked configurator and couldn't find it at present?

·
Registered
134 Posts
When I was going through and setting the spec on my car back in mid 2020 the charging mat wasn't part of the configurator then either. I have not seen any older Velars with a factory fitted charge mat which I find quite strange if it was previously included in the configurator, I would certainly have included it in my car if I could. So I would question if it was ever included.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts