Range Rover Velar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
I've only seen 3G so far, and I'm in the heart of NYC where 4G/LTE is ubiquitous... I'm speaking to my dealer later today so will reply if they say anything different.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I get 4G on Rogers Canada in the greater Vancouver area, so it must be possible.

·
Registered
843 Posts
My dealer confirmed 3G only, but then mentioned "I shouldn't say this, but you can use other providers like Verizon." When pressed, they wouldn't say more than you can provide your IMEI # and supposedly get another carrier's support, but still wouldn't confirm if that means 4G...

Anyone tries this, let us know!

·
Registered
51 Posts
threeputt said:
van604,

Are you using the sim card provided by the dealer or did you pick one up separately??
Correct I'm using another carrier, as the included one (at&t) worked so intermittently I got fed up with it.... the two times it did work I only got 3G out of it. Clearly sounds like its a function of the sim/plan.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm up in the Greater Vancouver area as well. The sim provided by the dealer was pretty much useless. Got spotty 3G reception, and wasn't getting traffic/weather updates etc even when I was getting a signal. Added a data sim to my phone plan (same carrier that provided the dealer SIM), but immediately got a full-bar 4G connection, and has been solid since... I agree, must have something to do with the type of plan the sample SIM is on, but 4G is possible...

G

·
davidawright74 said:
my dealer said that 4G is for 2018... weird my Velar First Ed is 2018.
It's an 4G/LTE radio in the unit. I put in a micro SIM on my shared data family plan (ROGERS, Canada) and it immediately came up with 4G status icon.

Connectivity seems MUCH better for me vs. the ATT SIM provided.

G

·
TripleblackRSE said:
I'm up in the Greater Vancouver area as well. The sim provided by the dealer was pretty much useless. Got spotty 3G reception, and wasn't getting traffic/weather updates etc even when I was getting a signal. Added a data sim to my phone plan (same carrier that provided the dealer SIM), but immediately got a full-bar 4G connection, and has been solid since... I agree, must have something to do with the type of plan the sample SIM is on, but 4G is possible...
Exact same experience for me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It's a plan limitatiion. Factory installed AT&T connected car and I only got 3g, never 4g. Switched from connected car plan to a data Hotspot plan and car immediately switched to 4g. Same price as connected car plan and all functions work fine.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Chillin said:
It's a plan limitatiion. Factory installed AT&T connected car and I only got 3g, never 4g. Switched from connected car plan to a data Hotspot plan and car immediately switched to 4g. Same price as connected car plan and all functions work fine.
Did you just call AT&T and give them your IMEI # to switch to the hotspot plan?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Used a store, tried over the phone but they got confused. If you use the real imei their system may not let them pick a Hotspot plan, so the guy put a bogus imei in that would have been in the range of a desktop hotspot. Worked like a charm.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Sorry to revive this thread, but my 3 month trial with AT&T is up at end of next week and AT&T told me the only option is to subscribe to a $20/mo plan with them, and they claim that LR is limiting it to 3G... I told them to go F off lol. We know that's not the case.

So, I just want to confirm for those of you that have changed SIMs from the one that came in the vehicle, did you simply purchase a data SIM from another provider (Rogers etc, Verizon in my case) and then just pop it in? Did you need to do anything for Live services to work or anything else at all?

Jake

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.