Range Rover Velar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Velar is a beauty. No doubt about it. But is lacks the standard features that most competitive cars offer. I have been trying to justify the many ways that the Velar falls short in offering -even- basic options without making you spit out your money as if you were buying a technology or an option that only exists in the Velar.
Sad it is to pay $510 for power adjusted steering.
$385 heated windshield
$715 parking assist.
$700 lumbar support
let alone that only HSE comes with fog lights and back beautiful stainless exhausts
and so on....you get the idea...
I am not saying to get such options for free, however they should be standard in higher models life HSE and even SE.

Beautiful car...and i am probably will end up sucking it and buying the velar..but don't you think JLR should loosen it a bit!!!!!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Short answer is yes. Best looking exterior and interior mid size SUV in the market now. Will be interesting to see how it holds up to the upcoming next generation of cayenne. X5, and GLE.

·
Registered
30 Posts
LR have followed Porsche with their marketing strategy. I got hooked by the "Porsche Macan for 44k!!!". I ended up spending 62k! The Macan didn't even come with Sat Nav and cruise control...

You can buy a Velar for 44k, but in truth, no one will! Two ways of looking at it, you build a bespoke car that's personal to you, or its pure marketing bollox!

·
Registered
534 Posts
I think the Velar is fairly well equipped for the class. What cars are you looking at that are cheaper when similiarly equipped? Maybe the X3, Q5, GLC class, but those are a size smaller and less premium. The Macan comes with nothing standard either and approaches the same price point when you spec it all....and it's a smaller, less premium SUV. The Cayenne is more expensive. When I spec'd up the F-Pace I wanted it was only a couple thousand less, and it's nowhere near as nice.

The options you listed...power steering column, lumbar, parking assist...are things I care nothing about. Things that WERE appealing to me like the 12" digital instrument cluster, 850W meridian system, premium LED headlight, panoramic roof, etc...were standard on the SE. These are things not commonly standard on less expensive competitors. The exhaust finishers are not on any P250 models, which I believe you said you were interested in. Not even HSE. The exhaust finishes are only on the D300, P300, P380 regardless of trim level. Fog lights are standard on the R-Dynamic....even the SE.

·
Registered
129 Posts
You don't get leather without an upgrade on many cars including the X5. Nor do you get blind spot, rear view camera, etc.

I think we are all spoiled. The lower starting price for the base may benefit many budgeted buyers. If I was thrifty, I would go for a base Velar, throw on some low dollar 22"s, and call it a day.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great point KRG. To answer your question thou
KRG said:
What cars are you looking at that are cheaper when similiarly equipped?
My X6 was not bad to spec it with fairly priced options.
my favorite, however, is the QX60. I have it loaded with every single option under the sun (even with dedicated Infiniti wifi and semi-autonomous driving) and is under $62k...really a good car but they have to come with a new design!
http://www.infinitiusa.com/buildyourinfiniti/shareLink/restore/ynnkw_52906949935

·
Registered
534 Posts
The QX60 is a restyled Nissan Pathfinder. It's nowhere near the Velar in terms of engineering quality. You can tack on all the luxury options you want but it's still a Nissan Pathfinder. I wouldn't drive one if it was free (okay maybe I would lol). If you're after the most luxury features for the buck, the Asian brands are definitely the way to go.....RX, MDX, QX60, etc. What "worth it" to you is, is up to you. I always buy European cars because I prefer the character, engineering, and build quality advantages they offer. If you value luxury features more than premium engineering, there's nothing wrong with buying something that aligns with that better. Totally a personal choice.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
KRG said:
If you value luxury features more than premium engineering, there's nothing wrong with buying something that aligns with that better. Totally a personal choice.
Could not have said it more eloquently. Thanks.
I have the best luxury for the buck with the infinite and the premium engineering with BMW 6x. I am just mad that I can not get both in one car like the Velar. (actually, I could! but it will be more than what I want to spend on for the size in class).

·
Registered
24 Posts
velarios said:
The Velar is a beauty. No doubt about it. But is lacks the standard features that most competitive cars offer. I have been trying to justify the many ways that the Velar falls short in offering -even- basic options without making you spit out your money as if you were buying a technology or an option that only exists in the Velar.
Sad it is to pay $510 for power adjusted steering.
$385 heated windshield
$715 parking assist.
$700 lumbar support
let alone that only HSE comes with fog lights and back beautiful stainless exhausts
and so on....you get the idea...
I am not saying to get such options for free, however they should be standard in higher models life HSE and even SE.

Beautiful car...and i am probably will end up sucking it and buying the velar..but don't you think JLR should loosen it a bit!!!!!
To answer the subject heading 'Yes if you can afford it' or 'no if you can't' JLR have realised now if they can make something desirable there is enough people they can sell it to, that may not be me or you but it will be someone else, they will sell, the Velar high pricing means they get enough orders in without having a crazy long delivery time, you can still order one in the U.K. and have it delivered within the normal 3 months, if they had priced lower they would end up with a very long waiting list causing more harm for the brand than it's worth and less profit

·
Registered
24 Posts
velarios said:
Great point KRG. To answer your question thou
KRG said:
What cars are you looking at that are cheaper when similiarly equipped?
My X6 was not bad to spec it with fairly priced options.
my favorite, however, is the QX60. I have it loaded with every single option under the sun (even with dedicated Infiniti wifi and semi-autonomous driving) and is under $62k...really a good car but they have to come with a new design!
http://www.infinitiusa.com/buildyourinfiniti/shareLink/restore/ynnkw_52906949935
Contrary to belief BMW options and service are much cheaper than a lot of competitors especially JLR, although they are going for high volume in private and fleet markets, I suppose the natural comparison in size to Velar is the new 2018 X3 which can be fully loaded for around £15-20k less than a similar spec Velar but it will be a lot more common although I am sure it will be a good car and is my chicken out plan, I quite like the Alfa Stelvio but more niche and the better versions such as Ti or Veloce haven't been released in U.K. yet

·
Registered
534 Posts
I never really looked at the X3 because I'm just not a fan (though the new X3 looks pretty sweet inside and out)...but a Mercedes GLC300 reasonably equipped was only about $8k less than the Velar I ordered...and it didn't have nearly as much tech. I can't imagine the X3 is going to be dramatically cheaper. The Velar starts low, but it covers a wide spectrum....and is really more comparable to a GLE or X5/X6. Price those out. I built a reasonably equipped X5 for $90k.

If you really want those big engines, air suspension, etc....they do seem to be a bit overpriced compared to the competition...but the midrange Velars are fairly competitive.

·
Registered
534 Posts
velarios said:
KRG said:
If you value luxury features more than premium engineering, there's nothing wrong with buying something that aligns with that better. Totally a personal choice.
Could not have said it more eloquently. Thanks.
I have the best luxury for the buck with the infinite and the premium engineering with BMW 6x. I am just mad that I can not get both in one car like the Velar. (actually, I could! but it will be more than what I want to spend on for the size in class).
Right. Unless you want to spend a ton of money, compromises must be made.....engineering, cutting edge style and tech, and brand cache vs more comfort features for less money. The Velar and QX60 honestly couldn't be further apart...they're nothing alike. Should be a pretty easy choice, no?

·
Registered
24 Posts
KRG said:
I never really looked at the X3 because I'm just not a fan (though the new X3 looks pretty sweet inside and out)...but a Mercedes GLC300 reasonably equipped was only about $8k less than the Velar I ordered...and it didn't have nearly as much tech. I can't imagine the X3 is going to be dramatically cheaper. The Velar starts low, but it covers a wide spectrum....and is really more comparable to a GLE or X5/X6. Price those out. I built a reasonably equipped X5 for $90k.

If you really want those big engines, air suspension, etc....they do seem to be a bit overpriced compared to the competition...but the midrange Velars are fairly competitive.
Me too, can't stand the old F25 X3 but the new G01 version look great inside, and out is a vast improvement, size wise it is a direct competitor to Velar although Velar is slightly longer, Which I think is due to longer bonnet? X5/GLE are more of a competitor to RRS although they do cross over in price to the Velar

·
Registered
534 Posts
Eh...the Velar is 5" longer and 6" wider than the current X3. Fairly significant. I think the new X3 is about the same as the current one dimensionally. The X5 is 3" longer than the Velar, but the Velar is wider (mirrors folded in) so the Velar is actually closer to the X5. The Velar is closer in footprint to the RRS than the X3 also. The RRS and X5 are just taller, making them appear more imposing.

Again, its all relative. For me, I feel very content with what the Velar offers in relation to the price I paid. Others won't. Thankfully there are many great choices out there!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts