Range Rover Velar Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Have a look at the email I sent to LR today. I think this might fix this problem ! I'd be looking forward to the response from LR.
Love to hear all your thoughts.

Cheers

David

--------

To whom it may concern,

As a new Velar owner and Discovery sport owner before it. I was very worried when I started hearing about thefts with cars using keyless technology.
At home we now put our Velar key into a metal box at night to resolve the problem. Plus the spare key is kept in a faraday bag at home.

There have been lots of news reports of such things recently. However i've not seen any response from JLR on what they are doing to resolve the problem.
While I don't know if JLR purchase these systems OEM. I have been thinking on ways to resolve the problem.

This morning however I had a Doc. Brown moment (think inventing the flux capacitor). From what I can gather, the attackers are using amplification devices to communicate with they keys within your house. The keys that have been sitting in a draw or on a kitchen counter (static). My first idea was possible a switch or button to re-enable the key each time. However, that makes it a user problem and something you'd have to keep remembering.

Then I thought about my mobile phone. When I pick it up from the table it knows this and lights up the screen. They do this with the use of accelerometers within the device. Basically i've moved and someone wanted to use me.
Why couldn't my key fob work the same? After 5, 10 or 15 mins of not being moved (static) it switches off. This key will no longer communicate with the car even if someone does try an amplification attack.
However, the moment I pickup my keys, bag or jacket (moving the key) the accelerometer detects this and re-activites the key !

Maybe you've already thought of such a thing or have a fix planned. I just thought I would share the idea with you if you haven't.
I'll keep an eye on the patent office filings :)

Warm regards and merry Christmas to you all.

-----

·
Registered
449 Posts
Great suggestion! Three opinions why it won't happen, though.
1. Car manufacturers are sloooow to adapt any technology, blaming it on production cycles and safety, what is a lame argument.
2. This would require a chargeable key to compensate the higher energy consumption. BMW solved this by a charging option in the car. Read opinion one.
3. Stolen cars are not a bad thing for car manufacturers. As long customers are willing to pay the insurance premium for the brand, and they are. It's not keeping a significant number of people from buying them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just to let you know you can switch off keyless on all post 2010 Land Rovers Range Rovers and Jaguars it may come in useful to know this for washing your vehicle or prevention of theft.

Frustratingly, of the dealers asked, They all say it cannot be done.

It Can !

It's described in this video by Les Potts.it it has been tested by owners on DS,D5, FPace so far and it works!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Barnsh said:
Just to let you know you can switch off keyless on all post 2010 Land Rovers Range Rovers and Jaguars it may come in useful to know this for washing your vehicle or prevention of theft.

Frustratingly, of the dealers asked, They all say it cannot be done.

It Can !

It's described in this video by Les Potts.it it has been tested by owners on DS,D5, FPace so far and it works!

Great stuff Thanks Barnsh. I am lucky enough not be a target for thefts since car is mostly resting in an undergroud parking lot 3 blocks away from muy own flat. However I feel I can be vulnerable when going away for Week ends, or when eating at restaurants (when I am lucky to find a place close). I'll try this technique

·
Registered
127 Posts
^^ this is an amazing feature, and extremely useful.

Have added this to my Velar Tips notes.

So far have this and

To stop seat belt chimes (will only do it once)

Put seat belt in and out 9 times in a row

·
Registered
233 Posts
Now that is cool

1 - 8 of 8 Posts