Range Rover Velar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone suffered from a knocking from the rear boot area ? Checked everything (inc spare wheel well) and can't see anything that would cause this.

It's more noticeable at slow speed.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I had a knock at the back. The catch on the boot was the culprit. Try by wrapping a little insulation electrical tape round the catch bar of the boot lock. If it stops it leave it or have it re-adjusted....

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great ! Thanks for the tip. I will try that at the weekend.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I had this 3 weeks into ownership, it was a leaking shock absorber. Replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok. Hope it's not that then. Sound is like something loose and knocking. Sound like the seat belt catch knocking against the plastic trim on my old D5. Doesn't sound like it's outside or under the car.

·
Registered
858 Posts
It was left hand rear on my one, just a faint thud when going over speed bumps.

·
Registered
77 Posts
My knock sounded like a hand knuckle on plastic. Hard to explain but I think it was the slight twist of the chassis when going over bumps and turn every a corner now and then.
There was also a previous thread on knocks... Have a read through. May help.

https://www.velarforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2526

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Rob &#x1f44d-1f3fc;

The sound clip on that thread is the same as I get. Will find some tape and try the fix before calling my dealer.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My knock sounds like it comes from above and moves around side to side, forward and backwards (most noticeable on bumps). My dealer said the wiring harness for the sunroof makes this noise and tried to correct it but no luck. Anyone else have this type of knock and was there a fix?

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have two separate knocks:
- really deep one, as if the spare is moving in the boot, so far I couldn't replicate it in order to make a record.
- something loud and affecting drive in the rear left wheel, but we were on vacation and 150 miles from Italian dealership, so I didn't check it, been at work every day since we returned, so it would have to wait. Sounded as if the handbrake was stuck.

Small noises are there though, I'll post a separate thread.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I am still having a front to back and side to side knock from above? Reading online I saw to loosen the screws holding the grab handles above each door, but it didn't help. I put tape on the boot latch, but again no help. The dealer attempted to fasten the sunroof wiring harness, but once again no luck. Any and all suggestions/recommendations appreciated !

·
Registered
25 Posts
I also have this, it happens everyday when I go over a speed bump near my house.
I figured it was something to do with the spare wheel/boot floor, but haven't checked.

I also had a loan Velar from LR that I've taken on the same route, that one didn't do it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Check the exhaust clamps are tight my brothers were loose on his D300 so silencers we're knocking on boot floor.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi guys, glad to see I'm not the only one with this issue. Have a 19.5 SVA and the pop/knock/crack from the rear when I go in and out of driveways, or any angled part of the road at low speeds is driving me crazy.

My dealer thinks it is to do with the tailgate alignment and I'm booked in for the second time for that. There's a known issue where there is a foam insert into the tailgate rubber seal (sits at about the same height as the tail lights on either side) but the insert is either missing or slips down. I think the dealer suggests the foam helps to put pressure on the right spots and avoid flex. I'm not sure it's going to work, but I can also see my tailgate closes a little different on each side. For example the tailgate sits maybe 2.5mm depressed on the left (which I believe is the correct setting) but sits a little over flush on the right. I'm hoping the realignment of the tailgate fixes the noise I constantly hear. It's just driving me bonkers.

In my previous Velar I had the issue of a slight knock when turning at low speeds, and sometimes on takeoff or braking. Dealer says they fixed that by flushing out some rocks that had found their way up under the rear bumper. For what it's worth.

On hot days I also get the pop/crack/creak from (what seems to be) the headliner somewhere in the roof. Not sure if related to tailgate noise but definitely sounds the same, like it's the same material/action. I notice somewhere else in the forum the person who suggested loosening the screws for the grab handles later said the noise was back and the fix was ineffective, so happy to hear anyone else's suggestion...

·
Registered
28 Posts
tyrrellnick said:
Hi guys, glad to see I'm not the only one with this issue. Have a 19.5 SVA and the pop/knock/crack from the rear when I go in and out of driveways, or any angled part of the road at low speeds is driving me crazy.

My dealer thinks it is to do with the tailgate alignment and I'm booked in for the second time for that. There's a known issue where there is a foam insert into the tailgate rubber seal (sits at about the same height as the tail lights on either side) but the insert is either missing or slips down. I think the dealer suggests the foam helps to put pressure on the right spots and avoid flex. I'm not sure it's going to work, but I can also see my tailgate closes a little different on each side. For example the tailgate sits maybe 2.5mm depressed on the left (which I believe is the correct setting) but sits a little over flush on the right. I'm hoping the realignment of the tailgate fixes the noise I constantly hear. It's just driving me bonkers.

In my previous Velar I had the issue of a slight knock when turning at low speeds, and sometimes on takeoff or braking. Dealer says they fixed that by flushing out some rocks that had found their way up under the rear bumper. For what it's worth.

On hot days I also get the pop/crack/creak from (what seems to be) the headliner somewhere in the roof. Not sure if related to tailgate noise but definitely sounds the same, like it's the same material/action. I notice somewhere else in the forum the person who suggested loosening the screws for the grab handles later said the noise was back and the fix was ineffective, so happy to hear anyone else's suggestion...
My SVA is also a mess with all kinds of sounds from the back and the right front and rear passenger door . My tailgate is also misplaced and was corrected 3 times and a gasket was installed in a wrong way. Gaskets of the driver door does not fit and looks ugly. There are many issues with my car :( <INSTAGRAM id="B1tUON5otyb" url="https://www.instagram.com/p/B1tUON5otyb/">https://www.instagram.com/p/B1tUON5otyb/</INSTAGRAM>

·
Registered
12 Posts
TeddyM said:
tyrrellnick said:

My SVA is also a mess with all kinds of sounds from the back and the right front and rear passenger door . My tailgate is also misplaced and was corrected 3 times and a gasket was installed in a wrong way. Gaskets of the driver door does not fit and looks ugly. There are many issues with my car :( <INSTAGRAM id="B1tUON5otyb" url="https://www.instagram.com/p/B1tUON5otyb/">https://www.instagram.com/p/B1tUON5otyb/</INSTAGRAM>
Maybe I'm lucky then. I definitely don't have those visual imperfections, and if I were you I wouldn't tolerate it. It's an expensive car, it should be pretty close to perfect. Especially given JLR has had two years to refine the build of the Velar.

There are a lot of pops, knocks and cracks federally coming from the headlining and tailgate of my car, I'll let you know if the dealer resolves them. If not, I will give the car back and go buy a GLE or something

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I've had a creak coming from the backend for a while, I've emptied the boot and done all the normal stuff to try and find the fault, it sounded like the body was flexing or anti-roll bar bushes had given up
I took the car into a local garage and had them check out the suspension and they couldn't see anything, however, they did say the boot lid was slightly out of align, they checked the soft close function
I then followed up and un-screwed the little alignment bushes on each corner of the boot lid (in yellow) and this looks like it may have cured it, Shame that landrover hadn't recalled this common fault and upgraded the alignment bush
Hope this helps, Dave

Hood Grille Automotive lighting Automotive tire Trunk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts