Range Rover Velar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My SIM works, navigation, remote access etc. But Web Browser and Live Services are 'Not available' when touched. Customer services tell me I have all the authorisations and should go to my dealer. Not sure what they will do?

Anyone else got this issue?

·
Registered
20 Posts
yes, i have the same problem.

as previously mentioned on this forum, i picked up my FE velar on august 28. within one week the lower screen had started flickering and re-booting so often that it couldn't be used. it went into service on sept. 5. it was tested and in service for weeks. after isolating the issue as a faulty "infotainment master controller " the part was replaced and i finally received my velar back on october 18. the screen issue was fixed, however the next day i realized that the live services were no longer available.

it went back in to service that next week. after testing for several days, they ended up replacing the infotainment master controller yet again. still no live services.

i just received a call from service yesterday and on monday they will be (drum roll please) yet again replacing that very same part.

if that doesn't work, it appears their next step (according to my dealership's general manager) will be to either find me an all new FE, or for me to decide if i'd prefer my money back. they seem to be at a total loss as to knowing what to do other than to keep replacing a part that sure doesn't appear to work.

it pains me to even think of the next steps. this is my 4th range rover, having just traded in my '16 RRS HST for the velar. i would far prefer to stay with the brand, as no others really fit my preference for style. and issues aside, i love the velar... especially the handling and appearance. if they can't get mine fixed, i've thought about ordering a '18 RRS or full RR, however seeings as they include the same touch screen system as the velar, and with my experience with that system, i'm very wary of it.

from daily monitoring this forum, i don't seem to see many of you having as much-or any-of these issues. or perhaps you're just living with then? i just can't bring myself to having spent over 90K US on a car and have this degree of issues.

i've only had my FE about 12 day's myself... the rest of the time (again, i picked it up the first time on august 28) it's been in service.

i'm both hopeful and skeptical that the latest replaced part (which is happening monday) will fix the issue. i'll post what happens.

anyone else had this degree of problems with theirs?

·
Registered
112 Posts
@surface51

Oh wow so sorry to hear about this issue. That is crazy that you've only had it for 12 days since end of August. I think it's a case of very bad luck that you got a faulty part and added to that since it's a new model I'd guess many dealerships don't know how to service things except replacing entire components and keeping the vehicle for days at a time.

I think the chances of that kind of bad luck happening again with another Velar, Sport or FFRR are pretty slim. But I'd be soured on the brand for sure especially after spending 90k (as I did too). I think I'd give it another shot. I'm sort of curious why you traded in a 2016 Sport?

When I bought my 2010 Sport I read online almost everywhere that Range Rovers were unreliable and even people I knew kept saying it. I bought it in LA brand new and drove it up to the Bay Area and the first night it was leaking oil on my driveway and I thought.... "uh oh"... but then they took it for two days to fix the oil leak and it was great for years. I kept it for 7 years and 85k miles and just had to replace the normal things that wear out (water pump, alternator, batteries) and the usual wear and tear items (brakes, tires). I enjoyed it so much that I bought this Velar to hold me over until the next generation Sport in 2020 or 2021.

So far mine is great but one of the door handle covers can slide loose if you pull it and the plastic trim blade thing right at the bottom of the front bumper is a little loose and I can move it with my hand slightly. just needs to be tightened. Minor sloppy manufacturing issue. but no squeaks or creaks or anything inside the car.

Performance of the upper touchscreen is terrible and has an underpowered processor. I know we're spoiled with iPhones and the top Android phones but come on it's ridiculously slow. Still, I can live with it and it doesn't bother me that much. I'm still under 2k miles so no real problems yet.

·
Registered
20 Posts
@andrewhargreaves

interestingly enough, the dealer service is being instructed directly by LR corporate tech service to keep replacing the part-they've also been working directly with the engineers that make the part. i'm not completely without hope, but this week is make or break for me.

i travel a lot with my business, and trade every 2 years when i have about 50k on the mileage. having had 2 RRSs back to back-and looking for something different-i had been thinking about trading to a FFRR, but then the velar came along and I really loved the design.

fingers crossed that they'll get this worked out this week... but i do have done a '18 FFRR build put together if it doesn't and if i decide to reject my velar as the velar experience has definitely tainted it some for me (mine is a FE and corris grey, same as yours...beautiful vehicle!)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Well picked up new Velar in Friday. Love the car. However, I have the dreaded same as above. Dealer tried to fix with software update to no avail.

They going back to JLR.

One question to those having the problem, have you come from another JLR car where you already had InControl set up ?

As myself I have and wondering if there is a VIN number issue in the activation? Ie the live bit has the old cars VIN or a digit wrong ? As InControl waiting for activation software in car looks ok. So wondering if central Centre done something silly like this as from this thread people have had new units etc with same issues. So hoping might be someone with fat fingers typing in wrong VIN or using VIN from other vehicle. As based on current activations

InControl separate from NAV account. Which like y means LIVE is different again.

·
Registered
112 Posts
surface51 said:
@andrewhargreaves

interestingly enough, the dealer service is being instructed directly by LR corporate tech service to keep replacing the part-they've also been working directly with the engineers that make the part. i'm not completely without hope, but this week is make or break for me.

i travel a lot with my business, and trade every 2 years when i have about 50k on the mileage. having had 2 RRSs back to back-and looking for something different-i had been thinking about trading to a FFRR, but then the velar came along and I really loved the design.

fingers crossed that they'll get this worked out this week... but i do have done a '18 FFRR build put together if it doesn't and if i decide to reject my velar as the velar experience has definitely tainted it some for me (mine is a FE and corris grey, same as yours...beautiful vehicle!)
Personally, I really love the FFRR. I think the design is perfect and the interior is something very special. I think that I would buy one if my garage was bigger and it would fit. As it is the current generation Sport is only 2.5 inches wider than the Velar but I don't think I can get the doors open enough to get out! It's tough with the Velar already. Anyway my garage problem should go away during the next year and I'll have more options.

As much as I love this Velar, I'll admit that I really miss a V8 engine and riding up higher. I'll either see if I can get into a Velar SVR next year or keep this until the next Sport is out. I think if I'd had to deal with the inconvenience that you've had to, I'd be done with the Velar and go for the FF!

·
Registered
20 Posts
a quick update... late yesterday afternoon i received a call from my dealership's service manager, telling me that they had replaced the IMC (infotainment master controller) unit yet again (this is the 3rd time!) and that it still didn't resolve the live services issue. within the hour the general manager called me to let me know he'd taken the initial steps to find me a replacement FE, and we also discussed the potential of me instead ordering an '18 FFRR.

today, i've had several back and forth texts from my dealership, all moving towards looking at next steps. then-out of the blue-my sales guy texted me this "HOLY SHIT-WE JUST FIXED YOUR VELAR!"

he then called and told me that someone from the IMT manufacturer's tech team had been in touch with then about a new software update for the part... the short version is, the update worked/fixed the issue!!! they are currently reinstalling all maps and other software, then testing thoroughly. but all signs point to this being resolved! if it is, i'll post what they tell me in case this helps anyone else that's having this issue.

more to come!

·
Registered
127 Posts
^ excellent news for you (and hopefully me). Fingers crossed it all works out. In a way I'm glad it seems to be software related. I will be on to my dealer tomorrow, to pass on the news it's software related.

Keep us informed about the potential fix. As I love our Velar and will be great to get this fixed.

Edit: if you can get any details from your dealer on what the fix is, internal JLR fix number etc or what's needed as could help us with the same issue being able to go back with the fix code etc.

·
Registered
20 Posts
received a video earlier this evening-my sales guy took footage of all systems, including all live services, and it all appears to be working. they are returning it to my tomorrow afternoon, so i'll be able to test everything out for myself very soon.

if this truly takes care of the issues, you'll want to inform your dealer that the IMT unit will have to be updated with this very new software developed by the unit's manufacture.

i'll provide an update tomorrow, along with as much info about the fix as possible.

whew... i think i may finally have my new FE!

·
Registered
112 Posts
That's awesome. I think ultimately if you were looking for a change of pace from 2 Sports a FE Velar should be nice. That's sort of how I see it anyway. It's a really cool vehicle and pretty unique. I can get a Sport or Full Size next.

surface51 said:
received a video earlier this evening-my sales guy took footage of all systems, including all live services, and it all appears to be working. they are returning it to my tomorrow afternoon, so i'll be able to test everything out for myself very soon.

if this truly takes care of the issues, you'll want to inform your dealer that the IMT unit will have to be updated with this very new software developed by the unit's manufacture.

i'll provide an update tomorrow, along with as much info about the fix as possible.

whew... i think i may finally have my new FE!

·
Registered
20 Posts
it's back and everything is working perfectly, including all live services and the web browser!

i spoke with the service manager today and he confirmed that the fix was provided by the IMT manufacturer's technical folks and that the part was provided to them with the software installed on just the one that has now been installed in my velar-it is currently a software fix that can only be done by the manufacturer. he did say that he expects the software update will eventually be done at the dealership level, however currently the manufacturer has to do sort of an equivalent of "a smartphone jail break" to their own hardware in order to get the software updated. you can tell your dealerships to contact the service department at jaguar land rover peoria - www.jaguarlandroverpeoria.com ... my velar was there more than 2 months, so they will remember the details.

sure hope this info helps those that need it, and that others never have this issue, as i came very close to exiting the brand over this!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Think I'm starting the long process of fixing the live services not working (live 'not available') Even after giving the dealer principle the information on the fix mentioned above. They going through the same old process.

Software update.
TA request for help

Next will be replacement IMC I think.

Therefore I have written to dealer rejecting the Car, as noticed the live problem 2 days into ownership. I wrote to them on day 4 of ownership.

Got a meeting with dealer principle tomorrow. Not prepared to go down the route of waiting 2 months or longer to get the car fixed.

Honestly I think I have had it with JLR products. Phoning customer care - they have never heard of this problem, really I say, I know of at least one other case where you got the manafacturer of the system involved to fix the issue. However, it's not a problem that has come up or recorded.

This frustrates and annoyes me more than the actual issue (which is very annoying).

So the long and short of this is likely I'm just going to go for a full refund and move into a different Brand or more than likely save my money and buy something a lot cheaper that don't really care about and just use it until dies.

JLR as a Brand really need to sort themselves out, they are selling at the premium end of the market and delivering the working ability younwould not expect or put up with from a £5k car.

My whole experience has been tarnished by the fact all checks have not been made at the factory and or the dealer the car is insure the car works as it should.

I'm likely going the need to stop typing as the more I type the more frustrated.

Word of warning to all those who are picking up their velars. I personally would ensure before leaving the forecourt, that all the pro features you have bought work.

Incontrol pro works
Incontrol nav works
Live and web browser works

It's so much easier to walk away from the car then

I really hope no one else experiences these issues, as this type of software bug is hard to remedy and could end up months without your car

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same here! Everything else seems to work.
Car was at dealer for over a week. Numerous software updates, but dealer claims to have no idea and they are not admitting to any others! Wait for JLR to resolve, if ever, with software update, is the response.
Not critical to the car, but should work as advertised and paid for!
I read that it won't be solved by software update but the IMT unit(?), software update by the unit manufacturer?
Shame as these things spoil what has the potential to be a good car.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I think from the posts above it's software updatable, it was just the user had a unit sent to the dealer with special software installed on it from the manufacturer, it sounds like as this worked it's likely to come as an update at some point. Fingers crossed.

However I am not prepared to wait. Have meeting with dealer tomorrow to talk rejection of the car if they cannot provide a fix.

Car is fantastic, but this small feature sours the experience and every time I would look at the screen I will know I have somethning missing that others have.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Good morning

Went to see dealer yesterday all prepared for a fight.
They actually turned out to be extremely good informative and accommodating.

JLR we're sending team to another car with same problem on Friday to sort or try to rectfiy the issue.

Dealer asked if I could wait till this has happened and if they fixed the team would come down from JLR HQ and do the same with my car Today. Which they are (got updated on this yesterday evening)

Dealer also said. If this fixes then we all happy. If not they have agreed it's a non fixable fault with the first 30 days and would order me a new car

So car will be fixed very soon or will get a new one

I'm very happy with the service and dealings with dealer so far. We will wait and see the outcome of today

Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Just to be clear, we're talking about the weather/news/sports/browser live stuff only? Your live traffic in nav and all the rest works?

Not to say you don't deserve a fixed car and should get it working properly, but those things are nearly useless since I have a far faster smartphone with me anyway. Is there some other big feature I should check for to make sure it's working? To me, the iPhone/usb issue is the big problem. I wonder if people are getting refunds or new cars over that.

I hope your nightmare ends shortly though so you can enjoy your car again!

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.