Range Rover Velar Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Velar MY20 Dynamic HSE V6 Red with Black Pack, Privacy Glass, Spare Wheel, Opening Roof.
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Map update
Got screen notice to update maps.
Successfully downloaded latest map version: 8.30. 132. 153. to an USB stick.
Connected USB and with ignition on it started to upload, warning came up saying it would take 30 mins. I cancelled and waited till next day when I was doing a long run.
Started up vehicles and connected USB again, waited till it started downloading again stated it will take 30 mins and not to stick off, so started my journey. Then another warning the vehicle must be stationary to continue download. !!!! So cancelled again till next day at home.
Started download again with stationary and ignition on. Same 30 mins warning. Went back in 10 mins the ignition had automatically shut down.
Next, had to start ending and sit in the vehicle for 30 mins till the update had loaded. Why ?????
What is the software problem that it cannot update while driving ?
We are supposed to be saving the emissions let alone breaking the law having your vehicle engine running parked up.

Anyone help with this. ??

·
Registered
408 Posts
I’m on Pivi Pro and the only issue I have is that the updates take approx 90 mins to install in an unbroken journey. If I stop it has to start again rather than doing an incremental install as in my previous Merc’s and BMW. I have never had a messa saying it needs to be stationary to install - I could 7nderstand it if it was downloading the update OTA but my MY21 has never received one - all mine have been downloaded on to a USB

·
Registered
136 Posts
My updates take around 20 minutes now, will update while driving, if I were to stop then update resumes where it was.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Putt4par - When you say stop, do you mean you can shut the car off and lock it and then the maps will install from when you stopped the car ? Are you on Pivi Pro or In Touch ? It really is annoying that on my car it takes up to 90 mins continuous as they are 26gb - you would think that either it would install incrementally or the update would be just that at not the whole 26gb every time.

·
Registered
408 Posts
But my point is that you have keep the ignition on for up to 90 mins rather than the maps be just small updates or install incrementally

Reactions: JDPRRUK

·
Registered
2018 D240 JSE
595 Posts
But my point is that you have keep the ignition on for up to 90 mins rather than the maps be just small updates or install incrementally
Yes, it's a very poor system. Have you tried using different USB sticks? Mine always takes 15 mins, give or take. I've noticed that the DAB radio struggles when updating maps, so maybe something else in the infotainment is slowing your updates down (but no idea what)

·
Registered
408 Posts
I’ll try using a different USB, let you know if it helps. I get the 90 minute duration as soon as the car starts with the usb in and before Spotify or any other media comes on. I asked the dealer (who are really very good and helpful) and they said Technical told them that was normal for a Pivi Pro - yours is Touch isn’t it. Strange that the previous system is more efficient - do you have speed cameras in your maps ?

·
Registered
2018 D240 JSE
595 Posts
I’ll try using a different USB, let you know if it helps. I get the 90 minute duration as soon as the car starts with the usb in and before Spotify or any other media comes on. I asked the dealer (who are really very good and helpful) and they said Technical told them that was normal for a Pivi Pro - yours is Touch isn’t it. Strange that the previous system is more efficient - do you have speed cameras in your maps ?
Yes, I have Incontrol touch pro & yes I have speed camera data. Does seem odd that the newer software is slower , perhaps someone else with pivi pro can confirm their update times.

·
Registered
384 Posts
My update times from USB are usually about 90 minutes of constant driving.

reason is that it updates all maps downloaded from Here on Land stover site. OTA updates on PiviPro only update the country maps you are in.

·
Registered
408 Posts
JD - thanks for confirming yours takes as long and why. My car has never received any OTA map updates, just software ones. Thanks again

·
Registered
2018 D240 JSE
595 Posts
My update times from USB are usually about 90 minutes of constant driving.

reason is that it updates all maps downloaded from Here on Land stover site. OTA updates on PiviPro only update the country maps you are in.
My downloads from Here are a similar size, so that in itself doesn't explain why yours take three times as long to update. Funny sort of progress by JLR.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Here are still bundling Russia in with the rest of Europe and the UK for InControl Touch Pro - the whole lot is around 32Gb and is updated every month. I rarely need Europe and have no intention of driving in Russia for the foreseeable..... They really need to address this by allowing sub-selections of map data for download and update!

Reactions: JDPRRUK
1 - 14 of 14 Posts