Range Rover Velar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering if anybody else had this system in option. I have it , and I am deeply dissapointed. The bass is extremely boxy, and there is no deep bass....
Any other experiences here or is there an issue with my system?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just have the "Meridian Sound System" in my Velar, which I also had on my Evoque. When I took delivery of the Velar I was very disappointed with the sound compared with the Evoque. I went to general settings then audio settings and found the dealer had put Bass, Treble and Subwoofer three quarter of the way over to the right, (max). I reset all three to the middle and found that the system sounded much more musical, like the Evoque and my Meridian System at home. Check the settings and give the "middle ground" a try!

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have the signature system as well. Came as part of the First Edition. I might not have ordered it if spec'ing the vehicle from scratch but I really like it and I think it's worth it. I also ordered it for my SVR on order. I did adjust both the bass and subwoofer settings to get it to my preference. I'm happy with it. My comparison is from my old 2010 Sport that had the Harman Kardon Logic 7 system which was only an $800 option. Is the Meridian 2 or 3 times better? I don't think so. That HK system was great. Anyway I still think it's worth the upgrade price.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Don't have too signature spec, but more than happy with the Meridian I have. Once set up it is outstanding

·
Registered
152 Posts
I've got it on me FE.

Dolby Pro Logic with no more than 1/2 of the treble/bass/sub notches and it sounds pretty good IMO.

Haven't cranked it up yet but the bass doesn't sound as good as the 825w Meridian on RR/RRS models - might just be me so far though!

·
Registered
489 Posts
These Meridian systems are very, very sensitive to the quality of the music file you are playing and the means by which you transfer the sound.

Rubbish in, rubbish out. Music files need to be a minimum of 256kbps and 320kbps or, since you have the top system, a lossless flac format. Then you are giving the system something to work with across the soundstage.

Second, the conduit. Don't use Bluetooth. Bluetooth compresses the music data which means that the top and bottom fidelity of the track gets lost somewhat, even if you have a high quality source it won't arrive as high quality. Bluetooth is okay for workaday music listening but, if you have spent £'000 on an enhanced sound system then you need to have a hard-wired connection. The hard drive is too small to store any sizeable library of music with bigger file sizes. So you will need a USB key with plenty of space.

Finally, there is a need to understand the Meridian philosophy....... which isn't thumping bass or massively enhanced music through a heavy equaliser. What Meridian does well, if given a decent input music file, is split out the instruments across the soundstage so that the fine detail of the recording is faithfully replicated. I enjoy it but it's frustrating too when a track pops up on the library at a lower bitrate or a poor original studio recording.

Everyone's ear is different the same as beauty is in the eye of the beholder. We have the equaliser set just beyond neutral for bass and treble and the tiniest of extra subwoofer (otherwise on some tracks the subwoofer bass can become oppressive to our ears, quite unpleasant really). We use the Meridian processor rather than Dolby or Stereo. It sounds better to us.

Why not take a high quality CD. Something produced within the last 15yrs by an artist renowned for the pride they take in their music and production (what our Velar can do with Maddona's Ray of Light album is truly amazing - it's a notoriously difficult album for an average system to manage). Rip a few tracks onto a USB using something like dbPowerAmp (free to download) using a lossless file format like flac. Then test these tracks out on your super high-end Meridian system and adjust the settings. If you still don't enjoy it after that then the Meridian philosophy clearly isn't for you.

There's no right or wrong - whatever you enjoy is right for you. But give it a chance first, if you haven't done so already.

Regards,

Arianne

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello all,

Thank you for sharing your experiences, feedback, suggestions and help. Greatly appreciated.

@Arianne: I'm a hifi enthousiast and all my cd's are residing on a NAS ripped in Flac quality. There is indeed a big difference depending on the quality fed to the Meridian system. Overall, I find the instrument placement and separation very good indeed. Nice transients also.
The sound is maybe a tad too bright to my taste, but the bass is a bit of a problem: it is incoherent to my ears and I find there is some kind of resonance and droning somewhere around 100hz especially when listening to radio be it DAB or FM......

For FLAC albums, I tried a 128GB USB stick but that didn't work. Switched to a 16gb one which seems to work fine. Both formatted in FAT32. Anybody know if I could attach a small external SSD to the USB port? I have a 256gb one laying around somewhere....

·
Registered
152 Posts
Arianne said:
Rubbish in, rubbish out. Music files need to be a minimum of 256kbps and 320kbps or, since you have the top system, a lossless flac format. Then you are giving the system something to work with across the soundstage.

Second, the conduit. Don't use Bluetooth. Bluetooth compresses the music data which means that the top and bottom fidelity of the track gets lost somewhat, even if you have a high quality source it won't arrive as high quality. Bluetooth is okay for workaday music listening but, if you have spent £'000 on an enhanced sound system then you need to have a hard-wired connection. The hard drive is too small to store any sizeable library of music with bigger file sizes. So you will need a USB key with plenty of space.
These two are important.

Especially if you use Spotify & stream over bluetooth. As far as I'm aware the cars don't do AAC bluetooth streaming they do SBC so the car is transcoding from Ogg Vorbis (Spotify encoding) to SBC to pass over the bluetooth connection. Makes it twice as lossy.

USB is passing the Ogg Vorbis stream (or any digital stream) directly to the cars DSP/DAC to decode (when it works :)).

So yes, higher bitrate the better

TOUCH PRO DUO
USB SUPPORTING: FLAC | ALAC | MP3 | WMA | AAC | M3U | PLS | MP4
DAB RADIO

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi All,

Excellent points made by Arianne, and Delto95 in his last post. As I mentioned previously, I have a Meridian System at home so I had the advantage of exporting FLAC Quality CD's and Hi Res recordings off the Sooloos part of my home Meridian System onto a USB stick. I exported the files (about 120 albums) onto a 128GB Sandisk USB stick in my ignorance unaware of problems that a stick of this capacity caused. Fortunately, although the stick is not full, every one of the albums that I have so far played is fine, but I will use a smaller capacity stick to see if there is any difference.

DAB and FM appear to be fine within the limitations of reception of both formats.

And as Arianne says, avoid Bluetooth and low bitrate or poor studio recordings, especially as JLR have provided at least to USB ports, as in all audio, a system the quality of Meridian will just reveal how awful those recordings are.

Enjoy the ski-ing and the drive back Arianne!

·
Registered
489 Posts
@Velar809, will do!

As a point of interest, I have a 128Gb Samsung thumbnail USB and it is reliable. I do find that the system will mostly start playing music from the first track in the library which, in my case is the Electric Light Orchestra's 10538 Overture (due to the name of the track being numerical). And it always forgets that I have previously set it to shuffle mode.

Do you folks find that your system is the same?

@Delto95: based on your latest post in reply to my earlier one...... I think you have a better hifi setup and knowledge than me when it comes to music playback. Apologies for stating the *£##*@% obvious!

Best wishes.

Arianne

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hello,

I am a new owner of a 1st edition Velar. I would love to be able to play FLAC files in my car, given the quality of the Meridian audio system. I have yet, been unable to get FLAC to play in my car. I have tried a few different USB thumb drives, but to no avail. Can someone tell me the procedure they use to format there Drive, the size of the drive and FLAC files (192 vs 96 vs 48) 24 bit, etc? I guess DSD files are a no go? I love the car those far, having been a German car owner for a couple of decades. Thank you.

·
Registered
489 Posts
testndoc said:
Hello,

I am a new owner of a 1st edition Velar. I would love to be able to play FLAC files in my car, given the quality of the Meridian audio system. I have yet, been unable to get FLAC to play in my car. I have tried a few different USB thumb drives, but to no avail. Can someone tell me the procedure they use to format there Drive, the size of the drive and FLAC files (192 vs 96 vs 48) 24 bit, etc? I guess DSD files are a no go? I love the car those far, having been a German car owner for a couple of decades. Thank you.
Tell us what is happening when you connect your USB drive. What is the screen message?

I had issues to begin with. There is a way but the best thing is for you to start by telling us what error message you are getting.

And....

Which USB key, the memory size, the format of the USB drive (FAT32 is needed).

Start by simply deleting everything on the USB and ripping one single track onto it in a FLAC format. Then tell us what happens. We can all help you from there!

It's worth it in the end. I am sure that I can tell the music files that are lossless FLAC ripped straight from CD compared to some of the others which are iTunes AAC or Amazon MP3 files.

Regards,

Arianne

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hello,

Success!! Thank you Arianne! I would like to summarize a few things I did, and a few things that didn't work.

I am using a Sandisk Cruzer USB flash drive, 32GB. I reformatted it as follows: File system: FAT32 (Default), allocation unit size: 16 kilobytes, Volume Lable: FLAC. I initially loaded one FLAC file onto the drive, as Arianne suggested, and low and below, it played! FYI it was Steely Dan FLAC, 192hz, 24 bits.

I then copied an entire folder to which contained the entire Steely Dan album, and tried again. This time the I got a screen message saying something like files corrupt. So I went back to my PC and look in the Steely Dan folder again, and noticed it contained a pdf file, which has art work and some other info. I reformatted the USB drive again, then opened up the Steely Dan folder and copied ONLY the FLAC files to the USB drive. Worked like a charm! I have now loaded 4 albums on the USB drive in various Hi-res formats: 192/24, 96/24 and 44.1/24. All play beautifully and album art is there, expect for the Ed Sheeran divide album. Hopefully this will help someone in the future!

Questions:
I noticed there is an option to save the files onto the internal hard disk in the Velar. Does it actually store them and play them back in FLAC if you do?
Can you create folders on the USB drive, and drag favorites into that folder, and the car recognize them somehow?

Also, can you play DSD files?

FLAC is way better than mp3/iPod. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
489 Posts
@testndoc, glad to have been of use to someone on this forum!!!

The HDD on the Velar is just 10Gb, I think. And not all of that is available to you for music files. So you won't get many tracks on the HDD. I tried - about 200-300 max. So I just use my Samsung 128Gb USB.

I use a free software programme called Foobar2000 to cherry pick specific music files from my computer's hard drive and external drive. It enables me to add new music files to my USB drive easily and without any risk of corrupting the folder with the dross of album art and other stuff. No complex file structure either as the music is stored in an almost flat file structure. I think the album art is picked up by Gracenote via the Velar's onboard data connection (not the SIM that the owner installs).

If you get an error message saying that the Music Queue is Corrupt......... press "find" and select the music track option on shuffle. That usually clears it. My system was a bit unstable when we first got the car and I discovered some workarounds by just pressing a couple of 'buttons' when I got these messages. But it has settled down now and I cannot remember the last time it wouldn't play.

Enjoy, it's a great soundstage when playing high quality music - Steely Dan you say?

Arianne

·
Registered
27 Posts
Steely Dan: Gaucho. One of the best albums, IMO. Sounds insanely good in FLAC with the premium Meridian sound system in my Velar.

I played around a little more with my Hi-res files in the Velar. I decided to try to load them on a portable solid state Samsung drive (T3; 256MB). Initially the Velar would not recognize the external hard drive. It was formatted in exFat (whatever that is). My windows 7 computer would not let me reformat it in anything other than exFat and NTFS. So I found a freeware called EaseUS Partition Master, and it allowed me to format the drive in FAT32. I then loaded various HiRes files in FLAC, WAV, AIFF, DSD, etc, and the Meridian played all of them! Pretty cool. I have no idea, however, what resolution the Meridian is really playing back these files in. I highly doubt it playing DSD as is!? My Mercedes cant play FLAC above 48hz. Rock on Velar!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
DangerMouseUK said:
In the Signature sound system are those speakers above the sun blinds as they don't seem to emit any sound?
I do not hear anything coming out of them. Not sure of the purpose. :?:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts