Range Rover Velar Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts
I agree I doubt it was rushed, a multi million pound organisation like JLR I just cannot see it. It's a new concept for them so will have defects it happens on all brand new designs. The way they handle these is suspect, but this is the modern world, pleasing share holders at the expense of customers.

I have just updated my Mac book this morning, there was no password anymore to get root access with the new release of the OS,
A company like Apple is able to make huge mistakes like this one. It is unforgivable but I am not throwing my mac on the basket anyway.

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/science-technology/885986/Apple-macOS-High-Sierra-Root-bug-fix-update-iMac-MacBook

I am in the software business since more than 25 years now, people make mistakes like the one from apple above, Tesla has been releasing
really bad versions of their software but have been reactive to solve issues. Rumors talk about lethal accidents linked to their software bugs.

I think the main problem of JLR is that you need to update their software through vendors who are not accustomed yet to debug
software/hardware issues. Diagnosing problems can be impossible for somebody not accustomed to check all component versions,
read software release notes etc ... for example they can believe that a piece of software has been updated while it is still on an old version with the initial bug, just because they are not used to check everything meticulously.

When I started in the 90s every body using technology was very patient with failures , there was so many that you had to be patient, and it was much less complex than today. Now the patience of tech users is very low, and the complexity much higher. That raises the bar
very high for people entering in the tech word, especially for car makers.

Nail on the head Peterd

mavg1986 said:
Hi All,

So....how to start?

I've been an active member of the forum and have dreamed about my Velar experience for a while (not different from all the fellow members). If you've followed my posts I have actually thought about several different specs and at some point actually managed to find a perfect spec, a R-dynamic D240.

I have actually studied so hard the brochure that at the end I knew all the optional prices by heart, yeah I was that into the car.

So came delivery day, my Velar was soooo stunning, Corris Grey with Black roof, pan sliding roof and air suspension, 21 grey alloys...honestly still the best looking car I've seen (read SUV).

At delivery I noticed a few issues:

- Some paint imperfections on the left hand side (both doors) - looks like dust whilst paint was applied
- Side skirts popping out of the frame
- Swirls on the black rear pillars
- No Sim connectivity
- No wi-fi connection

On top of this, the dealer couldn't connect the car to their system to setup the Incontrol system.

I've decided to take delivery, but noting these issues on the delivery notes (in the end, the car had already been paid).

I then took the car home and within the first 36 hours I had air suspension noise and HDC system fault. At that point I sent the dealer a note I was considering rejecting the car.

I took the car in at the dealer at 48 hours of ownership and asked them to investigate the issues.

Basically the paint issue meant they would have to re-spray the left side of the car (nothing major, 6 spots of about 1 cm each)

They plugged the car into diagnostics and couldn't find the source of the issues - they raised a query with JLR which apparently meant they had 24 hours to respond (unless in extenuating circumstances).

After 48 hours I contacted them and asked for an update.- I note JLR needed these 48 hours - They've mentioned the factory plugged into the car and actually advised this is an issue they had never seen before.

This was then escalated to JLR global! (that was my 5th day of ownership)

During that day, and before knowing the full story, I spoke to the brand manager whom I have a very good relationship with - I then raised my concerns and requested a rejection of the vehicle (I had already a printed letter with the request and handed to him). With our great relationship he was very open to the idea noting the issues. Great dealer I must say!

He told me to wait 48 hours as he was going to raise a case with JLR customer service and to follow up then. So I did.

After 48 hours I liased with him and JLR refused any liabilities (RUBISH!!! with all capital words) - 100% JLR faults and not dealer. They didn't want to help the dealer with any losses - hopefully this will be escalated and sorted as this is utterly awful of the brand with the network.

My dealer was amazing and confirmed they would work with me to find an alternative. This was 7 days into the ownership (36 hours with the car, I note). I then looked into stock, spoke to them a few times in the following 24 hours and decided to ask for a refund.

Within 9 days of delivery, the dealer refunded me the purchase price - they win my loyalty in that sense. Gladly they sell other brands.

Moral of the story is that I have always been very respectful and an amazing client for them (owned 10+ cars from their network) and they did their part being respectful to me and being very responsive and providing me with an amazing custoemer service.

I will admit, I've owned a Discovery 3, 4 and Range Rover Sport 5.0 V8 and had issues with all of them. I bought the Velar as my last trial with the brand and promissed myself when signing the contract this will be my last one if I had problems.

I guess I must follow my promise now - the dealership now has a 100 miles on the clock second hand Velar to sell - this should be JLR problem, not theirs.

In the end can't fault customer service, I can fault the brand.

Still what a great looking car!
Good afternoon,

I am deeply sorry to learn of your comments.

Should there be any assistance you require from myself on behalf of Jaguar as the manufacturer, please PM me with your contact and vehicle details so I can investigate this further.

Thanks,
Amellia

peterd said:
When I started in the 90s every body using technology was very patient with failures , there was so many that you had to be patient, and it was much less complex than today. Now the patience of tech users is very low, and the complexity much higher. That raises the bar
very high for people entering in the tech word, especially for car makers.
It's hard for everyone...even Apple. New releases of iOS are always buggy and full of animation lag. A couple point releases in, they usually get it cleared up. My top of the line iPhone X has animation stutters. It doesn't bother me because I love advanced tech, and the good usually outweighs the drawbacks of being an earlier adopter for me.

I'm pretty lenient with the Velar. I'm not that bothered by some of the minor bugs, lag, etc. However, I would like to be able to plug my phone in a have the features be usable more than 20% of the time. That's not asking much. Having to stream music via bluetooth and being limited to controlling playlists/etc from my phone is silly on a $70k vehicle. I'm not that bothered by it though...just hope for an eventual fix.

Sorry guys but should you all be surprised, I have owned two Jaguar Fpace that had major issues and have now gone, it's across the whole range of JLR cars, issues with one and before you know it they fit the problem issue into another car in the range and now the problems are not with one model it's two and then they rush to do the same on another model and before you know it the whole range of JLR cars has the same issues, this is what and is happening at present.

I was in the passed a very happy JLR Customer with many different model ownership but for now I will not touch them which really is disappointing.

I waited a long time to be a first owner of the Fpace and loved the car but it continued to go wrong almost every week to two weeks, got told it was just a bad egg, got another and that egg was rotten also.

So I saw the launch of the Velar and again fell in love but this time waited to see what you guys found and glad I did, I read on here peoples issues and it just reminds me of mine with the Fpace.

So for now I love the cars but hate the issues so I fo one will not hurry back into a JLR product which is a shame.

Hope everyone who has issues gets them resolved quickly and without too much trouble, for the others who are trouble free enjoy your car it looks amazing.

CRC@LandRover said:
Good afternoon,

I am deeply sorry to learn of your comments.

Should there be any assistance you require from myself on behalf of Jaguar as the manufacturer, please PM me with your contact and vehicle details so I can investigate this further.

Thanks,
Amellia
:lol: :lol:

Amelia, think you spend so much time on the Jaguar forum with there issues you forgot your now on here which is a Range Rover Velar and not the Jaguar FPace forum.

Jaguar as the manufacture, it's a Range Rover Velar made on the same poor production line as the Jaguar FPace

:lol: :lol:

Discussion starter · #29 ·
:lol: :lol: they are used to the issues, Jaguar, I mean Land Rover,oh wait maybe both :lol: :lol:

So just a quick update, ended up getting a Mercedes GLE 350d AMG 2016 with 10k miles as a step in stone..wanted something comfortable for my upcoming trip (in 3 weeks) so think made the best decision - air suspension, led headlights, keyless, 20 alloys, all in all pretty good spec (shame no premium sound system - but may fix it with aftermarket ***Any suggestions on a nice quality but "budget" setup?)

Good value for money and a good drive so hopefully trouble free until I think of my next move

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.