Range Rover Velar Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was asked today if my MY21 was a diesel and if it had experienced a drive belt failure. The person was asking as their Mar 21 diesel had died on them and it was due to a drive belt failure. The dealership were investigating the extent of the damage and worryingly told them that her car was the third MY21 in that week as result of the drive belt failing. The dealers had notified JLR of the seriousness and frequency of the fault and were expecting an urgent recall.

I am hoping my car isn't affected as it is a P400e petrol. It is booked in later this month for the audio issues to be sorted, I am hoping the issue isn't widespread so the workshop isn't filled up with recalls.
It does seem more than coincidence that 3 MY21 cars should be in at the same time for the same failure. Perhaps it was a faulty batch of belts so that JLR can narrow down any recall.

Thought MY21 diesels would appreciate the heads up to be alert for a recall.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Confirmed this week that recent diesels have a real prospect of drive belt failures as a result of a recent software update. Apparently the update results in both starting motors being activated simultaneously and this causes the drive belt to break - this just immobilises the car rather than doing any damage to the engine. Dealers have been told to cease software updates on recent diesels until this is resolved.

Apparently the mild hybrids have 2 starter motors - one conventional and the other for stop / start. It's these that can both engage and cause the problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was asked today if my MY21 was a diesel and if it had experienced a drive belt failure. The person was asking as their Mar 21 diesel had died on them and it was due to a drive belt failure. The dealership were investigating the extent of the damage and worryingly told them that her car was the third MY21 in that week as result of the drive belt failing. The dealers had notified JLR of the seriousness and frequency of the fault and were expecting an urgent recall.

I am hoping my car isn't affected as it is a P400e petrol. It is booked in later this month for the audio issues to be sorted, I am hoping the issue isn't widespread so the workshop isn't filled up with recalls.
It does seem more than coincidence that 3 MY21 cars should be in at the same time for the same failure. Perhaps it was a faulty batch of belts so that JLR can narrow down any recall.

Thought MY21 diesels would appreciate the heads up to be alert for a recall.
Hi my 21 plate velar drive belt has snapped twice first time was when it was 3 months old then again last week while on holiday in Scotland the car is now 7 months old !!!!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hi my 21 plate velar drive belt has snapped twice first time was when it was 3 months old then again last week while on holiday in Scotland the car is now 7 months old !!!!
Of interest - which engine do you have?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts