Range Rover Velar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I'm reading conflicting information on this so thought I'd turn to the wisdom of the group...

I've had about 3 instances now where the built in sat nav either sends me down a road that's been blocked off at the other end (intentionally by the council), or tries to send me down a 'buses only' or 'emergency vehicles' only route. This has never happened with Waze, so it led me to wonder if the maps are out of date (even though I only picked up the car brand new in November).

iGuide seems to say that map updates are automatic OTA, but there's an option to do the update manually if necessary. I emailed LR customer service centre and they told me the map updates are manual, using the process mentioned in other posts on the forum.

So, has anyone noticed similar bad journey routing, and also, has anyone actually ever had an automatic OTA map update?

MJ

·
Registered
295 Posts
Yes, once.
Ironically, driving back to dealership in Yeovil (Houndstone Business Park) from Dorchester, Dorset.
Address was set postcode-postcode and Pivi/HERE map update had been done via USB stick a month previously.

The map below is from AA route planner; blue line AA route, red line Pivi/HERE.
The main roads have been like that since the stone-age so there are no excuses. The roundabouts and fiddly Yeovil bits for about 3 years.

My old 2016 Evoque never made an (obvious) error.
Map Line Font Parallel Screenshot

Not entirely impressive, especially as car was going back to it's home!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, once.
Ironically, driving back to dealership in Yeovil (Houndstone Business Park) from Dorchester, Dorset.
Address was set postcode-postcode and Pivi/HERE map update had been done via USB stick a month previously.

The map below is from AA route planner; blue line AA route, red line Pivi/HERE.
The main roads have been like that since the stone-age so there are no excuses. The roundabouts and fiddly Yeovil bits for about 3 years.

My old 2016 Evoque never made an (obvious) error.
. View attachment 5211

Not entirely impressive, especially as car was going back to it's home!
Wow, that's even worse!

So this is on a MY21 model? And you did have to do your own map update?

Difficult to trust it when I know that Waze is so much more accurate. It's just the built-in version is so much more aesthetically pleasing! :D

·
Registered
57 Posts
Only US experience here, so FWIW:
1. Only manual map updates work. Requires 40 min of driving continuously and a memory stick of 32GB (smaller won’t fit, larger won’t work).
2. Maps are abysmal the minute you leave the main roads. Google will often offer paths that save hours on longer routes; Pivi will offer routes that lead to a myriad of roads unavailable since the 80s or that just never existed (it has a benefit that if you do want to explore the oddest destinations possible, just use Pivi in Wyoming or Montana or any western state bar CA).
3. You can allegedly fix the map for yourself and others by making an account on HERE Map Creator - 2020 - what Pivi uses for navigation. Allegedly because I’m yet to see any of my corrections ingested by Pivi (and it’s been months).

Hope this info helps someone.

·
Registered
295 Posts
@MJQX: I have to confess that was on a new 2020 Defender, I'd cancelled my Velar order due to all the problems listed here re the pre-Pivi software.
Sadly, I fell for the JLR 'marvelous Pivi-Pro' marketing and, at time of order, it wasn't available at the time on Velar.
I've now sold the Defender and toying with Velar or new RRS, though I suspect the latter will be a long wait.... and still Pivi.

Perhaps we should aim our ire at HERE, see here (haha): HERE Navigation | Connected Navigation | Applications | HERE

It's pretty poor when a 5 year old smartphone is better than a premium vehicle satnav. Kima confirms it.
I was watching a Carwow review today on a new ID3 and you should see the problems the reviewer had with voice-control and VW's navigation.
Perhaps VW use the same voice recognition software and map database?

I suspect the millionaire buyer of the new FFRR will tell JLR exactly where to stick HERE navigation when it goes wrong.
But if he/she relies on Pivi to navigate the location of insertion then JLR will be safe.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks @kima and @Fenton for your responses.

Yesterday, again, it wanted me to turn right at a junction that was permanently 'no right turn', adding another 5 minutes to a 20 minute drive in order to go a new route.

I might try the manual update to see if that makes any difference, but I'm not sure it's worth the hassle. It seems like the answer is just to plug my phone in and stick with Waze.

Shame, because it's actually an intuitive and good-looking interface!

·
Registered
104 Posts
@MJQX: I have to confess that was on a new 2020 Defender, I'd cancelled my Velar order due to all the problems listed here re the pre-Pivi software.
Sadly, I fell for the JLR 'marvelous Pivi-Pro' marketing and, at time of order, it wasn't available at the time on Velar.
I've now sold the Defender and toying with Velar or new RRS, though I suspect the latter will be a long wait.... and still Pivi.

Perhaps we should aim our ire at HERE, see here (haha): HERE Navigation | Connected Navigation | Applications | HERE

It's pretty poor when a 5 year old smartphone is better than a premium vehicle satnav. Kima confirms it.
I was watching a Carwow review today on a new ID3 and you should see the problems the reviewer had with voice-control and VW's navigation.
Perhaps VW use the same voice recognition software and map database?

I suspect the millionaire buyer of the new FFRR will tell JLR exactly where to stick HERE navigation when it goes wrong.
But if he/she relies on Pivi to navigate the location of insertion then JLR will be safe.
The PiviPro with OS3.0 works well. You can use either Pivi Pro's own satnav or Google Maps from your phone with the wireless Apple Carplay or Android Auto. I've never had a problem with the built in satnav though....

·
Super Moderator
428 Posts
Downloaded a new map update today onto USB and uploaded. Previous map version was late December 2021 but this one has a lot of updates and jumped 2 versions to 1048. Took 1 hr 20 mins of driving to install though!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can't actually download the map update software to my Mac. It seems to think it's a virus or something which is a pain.

However, I noticed at the top of the Map Updates page it says:

With a valid Connected Navigation Subscription in place, maps will be downloaded and updated for you automatically. Should a manual update be required please follow the process below.

I have a Connected Navigation Pro subscription so shouldn't maps download automatically then? It even says in the navigation settings in the car that a new update is available, but there's no way to force a download.

·
Super Moderator
428 Posts
I can't actually download the map update software to my Mac. It seems to think it's a virus or something which is a pain.

However, I noticed at the top of the Map Updates page it says:

With a valid Connected Navigation Subscription in place, maps will be downloaded and updated for you automatically. Should a manual update be required please follow the process below.

I have a Connected Navigation Pro subscription so shouldn't maps download automatically then? It even says in the navigation settings in the car that a new update is available, but there's no way to force a download.
Looks like map update manager only works on Windows as I go the same message on my Mac. I’m sure you can wait for OTA update but at 34GB it will surely take ages to complete??

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks like map update manager only works on Windows as I go the same message on my Mac. I’m sure you can wait for OTA update but at 34GB it will surely take ages to complete??
Fair point, although I'd have thought that it would have started by now at least, considering it's known that an update has been due since picking up the car 2 months ago.

Might give the download a go on my son's PC.

Cheers JDP!

·
Registered
425 Posts
I use the Mac version of Map Downloader and it works fine now. Initially I had errors saying I needed to update the version but these were resolved after deleting the software and reinstalling it.

My car has never downloaded a map update OTA Since last May. The last two manual updates have required an uninterrupted drive of 1+ hour to install - if you turn the ignition off then the install start anew, rather than like other systems continuing where they left off.

·
Super Moderator
428 Posts
I use the Mac version of Map Downloader and it works fine now. Initially I had errors saying I needed to update the version but these were resolved after deleting the software and reinstalling it.

My car has never downloaded a map update OTA Since last May. The last two manual updates have required an uninterrupted drive of 1+ hour to install - if you turn the ignition off then the install start anew, rather than like other systems continuing where they left off.
Wivenhoe - maybe with your security settings or version of MacOS. Current LR download manager will not install on Mac with latest software and firewall. The code flags as malicious.

·
Registered
425 Posts
JD - I am in the development programme and so have the very latest version of MacOS and are also running Norton for Mac. I did have to give Map Updater ‘permission’ in settings when it was installed.

Reactions: JDPRRUK

·
Super Moderator
428 Posts
JD - I am in the development programme and so have the very latest version of MacOS and are also running Norton for Mac. I did have to give Map Updater ‘permission’ in settings when it was installed.
Likewise, and I think we are saying the same thing, but knowledge to give permission to bypass warning might not be shared by others. Hopefully your post will give confidence to others. :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
My Privi has told me twice it wants to install an update, you know the usual lock up and let me get on with it message and now just asked me again today. So I assume the previous updates failed. It’s linked to my house Wi-Fi (1GB broadband) so should have a good connection if not doing this OTA.

Any ideas what is is updating Privi or mapping software or both?

Mine is a MY21 2 months old

·
Super Moderator
428 Posts
My Privi has told me twice it wants to install an update, you know the usual lock up and let me get on with it message and now just asked me again today. So I assume the previous updates failed. It’s linked to my house Wi-Fi (1GB broadband) so should have a good connection if not doing this OTA.

Any ideas what is is updating Privi or mapping software or both?

Mine is a MY21 2 months old
Do you already have OS3.0 giving you wireless CarPlay? That is the big Pivi update, but also there are new maps out this week. I think very latest map software is 1048.

·
Registered
45 Posts
No looks like It was OS 2.1.6b (see my other thread about USB ports). How do I get OS 3.0 on m MY21 Velar should that also be OTA or download?

Are there any instructions from JLR about these map updates I thought that was why I got OTA updates or is that just the vehicle software? New to JLR and never had this with previous vehicles.

·
Super Moderator
428 Posts
No looks like It was OS 2.1.6b (see my other thread about USB ports). How do I get OS 3.0 on m MY21 Velar should that also be OTA or download?

Are there any instructions from JLR about these map updates I thought that was why I got OTA updates or is that just the vehicle software? New to JLR and never had this with previous vehicles.
You should get OTA updates for software and maps. 2.1.6b is required before OS3.0 which is being delivered by VIN number so could be anytime.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.