Range Rover Velar Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

i am considering going solid black paint on the car but wanted everyone's f edback if that is a bad decision? I remember a few years ago a dealer telling me not to do it as it scratches very easily.

Nevertheless wanted to check your experience especially noting some people have it on their cars

I haven't seen one live yet hence would love to hear about the look as well

Thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
this was at least the same argument from my dealer who suggested not to take the black roof for the same reason which I considered for my corris grey Velar.
I believe it might depend on how sensitive you are for this and how much effort you would spend maintain the paint.
Mike

·
Registered
19 Posts
If it is a metallic paint in this case Santorini Black, it will be much better regards to cleaning as well as scratches, that's what my dealer told me. Also a ceramic coating too will help

·
Registered
558 Posts
as much as I loved the black Evoque, never again.... Scratched with the lightest washes and im OCD about washing cars and always use two/three buckets, freshly washed mitts and drying towels, never washed in sunlight or windy conditions

·
Registered
843 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
The narvik Black plastic window pillars scratch far easier than the painted bodywork, which isn't too bad with proper detailing. It just takes much longer to wash the car as you have to be very careful.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I had a 2010 Santorini Range Rover Sport and kept it for 7 years. Black really suited that vehicle and as others have said, no matter how careful you are (without wraps and ceramic coatings) the swirls will develop over time. It didn't really bother me that much although probably more so during the first year. And even when it was dirty, which sometimes only took a couple of days, it still looked great in my opinion. Here in Northern California we have a dry portion of the year and a very wet season in the winter. I would use a porter cable orbital polisher and take out the swirls once per year and that is exhausting but a nice break from my regular work. But you have to be ok with some accumulation of swirls and seeing the layer of dust on the finish. And ideally you have the space and time to wash the vehicle yourself with good technique. Automated car washes, even the hand wash ones near me are terrible.

I'd get black again I suppose depending the vehicle -- some really suit black more than others. But for my Velar I opted for Corris Grey for a break and it's really nice how it looks clean from a distance but there is in fact a layer of dust all over. The roof is Narvik but it's almost all sunroof so I'm ok with the careful maintenance of that part.

But man, a clean black car looks so good. I would check out the wrap or ceramic coating options and take the plunge.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts